MEDIA LUNA RESORT -AQUA ADVENTURES TRIP REPORT 01/24 to 02/04

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cajuncru Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Once again the flight from LFT to IAH to RTB was on time and uneventful. Only hang up was new Customs entry system, though updated and much better wasn't prepared for a late arriving full 737 American flight from Atlanta and our full 737 from Houston to hit the terminal at the same time. However, we eventually got through customs exercising unaccustomed patience and found Orlando and Louis who loaded our luggage on the waiting Media Luna bus. Our group of 13 all arrived within a few hours of each other, some staying for 1 week and the rest of us from 12 to 14 days.

Media Luna Resort offers a wide variety of amenities from well appointed rooms, to gorgeous dining area and pool, nice wine bar, beach with kayaks, huge deck for watching the sunsets (palapa bar adjacent of course), game and exercise room, etc, etc, etc-----all Roatan standards........don't get me wrong, it is not the Trump Plaza or the Ritz-Carlton, it is Roatan---but very nice

Problems, of course--but they seem to respond correctly and quickly when they arise and you report them. Had no hot water and reported to front desk, within minutes maintenance man came to the room, found the breaker was defective, changed it and presto, hot water. Very different from other places I have been on the Island. Had a problem with the air conditioner and within an hour someone came and fixed the problem.

Food----well I am from South Louisiana and consider myself one who lives to eat, not who eats to live and I was delighted with the food the entire stay.

Frankly we didn't use much of the facilities offered at Media Luna other than the dining room and the bar as we came not to bask around the pool or the beach but to dive.

Diving services at Media Luna are provided by Aqua Adventures and I feel pretty confident that anyone who dives with them would be totally pleased with the treatment received and the diving opportunities provided.

We dove a number of sights, most of them known to Roatan regulars: Inside/outside; 40' Point(several times by request); Carib Point; Mr. Bud; Pirates Point(several times by request); Pond View Wall; Calvin's Crack; Casablanca; Never Stain Bight; Mary's Place; Missing Link(couple of times); Anka's Place(special request to see the recovery from the earthquake of 2009); Tulio's Place; Valley of the Kings; French Cay Bank; Doc's Dive; Gold Chain Reef; Key hole; and multiple dives on the house shore dive reef at Half Moon Bay, etc etc.

If you want truly valet diving service that is what you get from the Aqua Adventures staff. Personally I used to always be one who said no thank you I will carry my own gear, change my own tank, but at 74 I am learning that valet dive service is really not that bad. After the 20th plus dive I confess to recanting a little on the no thanks I will do it position.

Diving from Media Luna is relatively easy. The dive gear storage locker is located on the dock within a very short distance from where you board the dive boat. Tanks are also provided any time for day or night shore dives on Half Moon Bay Wall.

Life on the reefs was abundant. Really saw more Eels, many free swimming, this trip; saw 9 seahorses, several not attached to the sea rods but also free swimming, lots of Atlantic Spadefish, Creole Wrasse, several spiral anemone cleaning stations with 8 to 10 rather than the usual 2 or 3 Peterson Cleaner Shrimp and of course lots of Banded Coral Shrimp, Arrow Crab, a wire rope shrimp, only saw 4 or 5 turtles, but they were happy to swim along with us for extended photo ops.

Speaking of photo ops, Cajun Diva took a lot a photo's and video's and I am sure when life gets back to normal she will be posting her Trip Report with photo's. In the meantime I made a dive video to share with the group diving with us. It's in two parts, the first about 13 min. and the second about 17 min. Shows mostly her video's of our trip. If you are interested in looking feel free. I am posting the youtube links. If you can, check off at the bottom line the HD block and full screen for best viewing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkYcSZyH_uM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-Nal3e_T5Y

This is a great description of our trip. The one thing I will add for now is that it was perhaps our best Roatan trip yet. We have enjoyed diving with Aqua Adventures for several years now, but this trip we had a distinct advantage.

I have great news! For all of you who have always been aware and commented that the best thing about Fantasy Island was the dive shop personnel, you should know that those guys are no longer at Fantasy Island. But Fantasy Island's loss is Aqua Adventures' gain. Daren, who managed the dive shop at Fantasy Island for years, is now on staff at Aqua Adventures and leading dive trips at Media Luna. They are very pleased to have him, and we had a GREAT time being reunited with him again. They have also hired Dimas, a boat captain from Fantasy Island. These guys have been working together for years, and it shows. Add the existing staff members of Aqua Adventures and the proactive, caring owners and you have a first rate dive operation.

During our 10 days of diving, nothing was too much to ask. It was so effortless. Those guys know us so well and we are so comfortable with them. Our nitrox tanks were loaded on the boat waiting for us every dive. We have now made over 150 dives with Daren, and he made us much better divers. We are so in tune that every move he makes underwater is familiar and expected. As Doc mentioned in another post, watching the divemaster and learning where to find the cool creatures is the way to go. Over the years we have been diving together, Daren has taught us those things. He is one of the best divemasters on the island. And to make things even better, his 18-year-old son, Daren Jr. is following in his footsteps and learning the ropes. He dove with us the entire trip and I had a blast shore diving Half Moon Bay Wall with him. He has an incredible eye and showed me where the local seahorse and batfish live.

I see many great times ahead at Media Luna diving with Aqua Adventures :D

How are the bugs at Media Luna? My husband was eaten alive at Coco View and Fantasy Island and vowed never to return, even though he used deet. Media Luna looks beautiful and I wonder if being on a "hill" makes any difference

That's a tricky question - I didn't have any problems at all, but my friend who was with us was bitten quite a bit. I think each person is different and some are more prone to bites than others. It does seem that being on a hill might make some difference, but once you go down to the beach, you are prone to get bites again :(

The best product I have found to prevent bites is Cactus Juice. You can find it thru Google...

Great description and great having you guys diving with Aqua Adventures again! It feels great knowing how much you trust us, introducing us to more and more divers! Will keep up the good work! It's a promise!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added February 17th, 2015 at 06:51 PM ----------

And yes... having Daren ( and Daren Jr.) as part of the team makes us really happy and proud!!![emoji2]

Great description and great having you guys diving with Aqua Adventures again! It feels great knowing how much you trust us, introducing us to more and more divers! Will keep up the good work! It's a promise!!

---------- Post added February 17th, 2015 at 06:51 PM ----------

And yes... having Daren ( and Daren Jr.) as part of the team makes us really happy and proud!!![emoji2]

:)You Guys Rock! Thanks for two great weeks at Media Luna diving with Aqua Adventures:):)

And yes... having Daren (and Daren Jr.) as part of the team makes us really happy and proud!!!

You guys are so brilliant for hiring Daren. We have now done over 150 dives with him, and we are much better divers as a result. We have celebrated many great times with him over the past 12 years, including cooking gumbo at his home. I guess you could say that he is an "adopted" Cajun :D

And DJ (Daren Jr.) is a chip off the old block! His eyes are sharp - he sees things I have trouble finding even after he points for me. We were swimming along a wall and all of a sudden DJ began pointing at something. I looked for about 2 minutes and repeatedly signaled that I didn't see anything. He kept smiling and pointing...it was a decorator crab (neck crab) and it was so well camouflaged I couldn't see it! He has definitely been honing his skills on the house reef. We visited the resident seahorse several times and he even showed us where the batfish lives :D

With those guys working at your side, the future is bright for Aqua Adventures at Media Luna Resort. We can't wait to come back for more. I can't thank you guys enough for taking such great care of our group of 12 divers and even training our newest diver for her open water certification. It was quite a reward (and surprise) when Matt proposed to her underwater to celebrate after her final check-out dive :clapping: In my years of diving, that was a first!

And I have to tell you...I was so inspired by what Gary did rescuing that turtle at Pigeon Cay. That poor turtle was about to be eaten by the locals :depressed: I'm so thankful he rescued her and brought her home to be released at Media Luna. Hopefully she will have a happy life there. Maybe she'll stick around and raise a family.

Look for us in July - can't wait to see everyone again!
'Diva

That turtle got lucky. Hope she stays lucky for a very long time and come over the bay to say thank you from times to times![emoji2]

In case anyone is wondering what we're talking about, here she is:

[video=youtube;KiaoEIk3d_Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiaoEIk3d_Y[/video]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom