Recent Reports From Utila?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SandyUT

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all, 5 of us are meeting up on Utila in about a month. very excited to get back to Honduras. Roatan was our first experience and loved the diving.

Has anyone been to Utila this year? Looking for current water temps, conditions, whale shark reports etc. Looking to fuel the pre trip excitement!

Thanks!

i just got back from 8 weeks at my place on utila. we've had a very late rainy season this year, usually its oct-jan, this year its been nov-feb.

as with roatan the last few weeks have seen enormous amounts of sargassum weed floating around and washing up on the beaches. its not everyones cup of tea but we have had some incredible snorkeling under these huge weed rafts, fascinating ecosystem to observe. it has also made for some interesting safety stops.

the water is warming up nicely and is around 82f at the surface presently.

we had a storm this week and more rain, we're just hoping it's the last one, consequently the visibility is not as good yet as it usually is by now (vis gets better each month from the end of rainy season onwards) but as long as we get no more rain you should be fine in a month.

we saw a few whale sharks in the lead up to january full moon time but none during the same lunar cycle in february. generally march, april, may and september are our best whale sharks months but with the seasons getting so messed up lately, who knows what will happen this year.

i hope this is helpful

very helpful!!! thank you. Utila has been on my short lost for a very long time. my wife is (was) small plane averse...but I have shown her that it can be well worth the effort. cant wait!

after miuch debate amougst the group we are landing at Utila Lodge

ok in utila town. they have a nice staff, its very popular with dive groups (very professional dive op) and karaoke singers. my friend is a neighbor and has often threatened suicide if she has to hear hotel california one more time :D
have fun

Echoing laurenceh, the viz was relatively bad late this past week (19th and 20st) due to storms. Surge conditions on the top of the reef and minimal viz, but cleared out to around ~ 40ft along the wall. A layer of colder water was on the surface which made some safety stops chilly and when the sun wasn't shining the surface interval was awful. Hopefully the rain is over and you won't need it, but recommend taking a windbreaker or light jacket just in case.

Earlier last week (17th & 18th) conditions were much better with sun shining and ~ 60 ft viz. My computers were showing around 81F though the cooler water at the surface sometimes hit 79F.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the report! Hope the weather calms for us. The temp reports are very helpful. Going with the 3/2 full suit I believe. My cold tolerance is fading....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that's a nice link that will satisfy my OCD tendencies before the trip!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom