Roatan has been moved a bit- new location

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc

Was RoatanMan
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Chicago & O'Hare heading thru TSA 5x per year
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I'm thinking Amanda at International Living magazine must be doing their research via Twit Advisor...

The rest of the article was just as factual. Ms. Walkins, your parent's college investment worked out well.

Or from Belize....

Isn't journalism just peachy these days :confused: You can tell a lot of thought went into that piece :(

I see your point - she should have said it's off the north coast? Twit tho' the author may be, in fairness, it's not so obvious how to describe the location to the average geographically-challenged reader (read: idiot). I suppose "east coast of central america" is what was meant. Lord knows anyone can get into trouble giving simple directions! I *love* the fact that parts of the pacific "west" coast of Panama are 100 miles east than the atlantic coast. :wink:

Count me as a twit. Regardless of compass heading from a point on the coast, I think of the Bay Islands as lying east of the coastline of Honduras. Also east of Guatemala. The Caribbean is east of Honduras. For my purposes, everything in the Caribbean is east of Honduras. Now, I suppose "off the East coast" implies within some ill-defined distance of the coast, and if the coast happens to run East-West for a stretch, then something lying "off the East coast" would lie north of that stretch of coast.

True that the two coasts of Honduras face north and south but I can see where she made her assumption

A bit of journalistic laziness no doubt, but I wonder how many of us would know the difference if we did not dive there? Honduras is not exactly a "go to" vacation destination for most people that do not dive or cruise the Caribbean. Sadly, knowledge of geography and related disciplines has plummeted in our school systems. My wife, a retired high school teacher came home one day and shared the fact that over 25% of her high school students did not know which direction the sun rose and set. Now that is a sad indictment of our educational system.

A bit of journalistic laziness no doubt, but I wonder how many of us would know the difference if we did not dive there?. . . .

Some of us who DO dive there still don't know/care about the difference. I took the ferry several times back and forth between the Bay Islands and the mainland and did not take my compass out and take a bearing. I figured from La Ceiba it was northeast or north-northeast or whatever. Looking at a map now, it seems Roatan is indeed almost due north of La Ceiba, as all of you except me seem to be aware. I'm not a sailor--other than knowing Roatan is somewhere offshore in the Caribbean, the bearing isn't relevant to my purposes for being there.

Hey now, Roatan is NOT ON the East Coast of Honduras so it must be OFF the east coast , I guess in a way it is off the Eastcoast of the US seeing it is not On the East Coast there either

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom