Roatan Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rudebob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking to put together a 7 day trip to Roatan in early May before the summer season hits. Looking for maximum diving, decent accommodations with supplied meals. Don't care about romance (going with my brother), night life of other types of excursions (done those on cruises in the past), except possibly a little fishing. Just want to eat, sleep and dive without putting a lot of thought into details or anything else for that matter. Budget minded but don't mind paying more if there is added value there. Also, how important would you value A/C in May especially at night? We are finding some accommodations are not available with A/C.

thanks,

'bob

Maximum diving?

CocoView.

But see if AKR is still BOGO.

I was thinking Reef House Resort? Roatan Diving, Honduras Roatan Diving, Honduras Scuba Diving, PADI Scuba Courses, Shark Dive, Scuba Diving, Night Dive, Night Diving, Reef House, Reef House Resort, Reefhouseresort, Reef Dive Sites, Scuba Vacations, Dive Vacations, Roatan Dive Resort

Partly because
Daily guided Fly Fishing or Spin Fishing

I was glad we had A/C on Roatan in early May. It's the humidity more than the temperature. We stayed in the West End, IDK if that matters though - it seemed pretty hot/humid everywhere - even the south side when we ventured over there several times.

Also there's a lot of flying bugs so as long as the screens are intact it's Ok but otherwise it can be very uncomfortable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc
IMNHO, definitely need A/C in May.

I have only been to AKR, but would go there again in a heartbeat! CCV is on the short list tho.

I would say AC is required!! Its freakin hot and steamy there.

CCV has A/C in EVERY room.

Yeah, but as much as I sweat at the drop of a hat, I usually defer to the ceiling fans. Most especially in the CCV Bungalows or the Cabanas which are on stilts out over the water. With the prevailing ESE breezes, it makes nights pretty comfortable without resorting to AC. There are some days, however...

I just stumbled across this: Prices « Bananarama Dive & Beach Resort

Bananarama is in West Bay - apparently they've added a meal plan option. If I had to guess you're looking at 15 dives max there if you buy 5 more since there's no shore diving and the package includes 10 for $853pp. I don't think they do a 4th dive per day but I'm really not sure - website is a little vague - maybe not a 3rd either? and there's no shore dive option there.

4 onsite (2 cost extra) restaurants to choose from IMO would be preferable to anything the AI's do. Except Barefoot Cay but that's not budget. There's also other food options within walking distance down the beach. Which actually is the nicest beach on Roatan also.

Bananarama also actively solicits Day Divers from the Cruise Ships so that's a consideration. At least at AKR they get their own boat.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses. AKR only has non-A/C rooms available the week we want to go (guess the 2 for 1 is working good for them). Reefhouse does have space available. Did not check on CoCoview. The trip objective we are looking for does not seem to justify the added cost. Probably go with reefhouse for the A/C even if it is an older property.

Back
Top Bottom