Kids "Dolphin Camp" at AKR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HJeffreyM

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife and I are divers and we have a son who is 5. Anthony's Key seems like a good option for us this summer because of their Dolphin Camp experience. I'm just wondering if anyone has had their kids at the camp, especially younger children. Our son is just learning to swim and is fairly confident in the water, but of course we worry about leaving him alone while we dive.

Also, just wondering if the State Department warnings about Honduras apply to Roatan and what experiences (negative or positive) you may have had on the island. We don't plan to leave the resort, except back and forth to the airport and to dive.

And not to seem too paranoid...anyone get Dengue Fever, Malaria, or Chikungunya while on Roatan...my wife wants to know.

We have been going to Roatan MULTIPLE times per year since 2001. Never have we had any problem with any diseases or crime. But like you, we stay at an all-inclusive resort and don't feel the need to go out and socialize beyond our protected space. Our reason for going to Roatan is to experience the phenomenal reefs and sea life found there. It's our hands-down favorite! The people of Roatan are very kind people. As with ANY place in the world, there are bound to be bad asses around somewhere. If you don't go out looking for trouble, it's not likely to find you.

There are many things to keep you busy at AKR. The people who run the Sea Camp for kids are very experienced and will probably make your son feel like he is the most special little boy in the world :D (Which, of course, I'm sure he is!) If you have concerns, maybe you could sit out the first day and see how things go for him.

As far as travel warnings, those are posted mainly regarding events that occur in mainland Honduras. Roatan is a special little place all on it's own. I have fallen in love with the people there, the gorgeous scenery there, the fascinating history there, and especially the amazing ocean. I never tire of her phenomenal reefs :clapping:

....Also, just wondering if the State Department warnings about Honduras apply to Roatan...

Yes.

To a degree. Kind of like New York, NY, where you live. Maybe not that bad. Hmm, statistically, Roatan is safer than your New York home. Go figure. Eat the Canoli, skip the zip lines.

....and what experiences (negative or positive) you may have had on the island.

You want a list? (I have literally seen it all, A-Z, 1-100, the entire gamut) Let's just say this- in balance, we keep coming back, year after year. We come to dive, no interest in anything else. We have seen the island evolve since the early 1980's and haven't seen much on-land that we needed over the years.

We don't plan to leave the resort, except back and forth to the airport and to dive...

That should very much so limit your exposure to crime, disease and a variety of concerns. I rather suggest and prefer that method. Others who travel to Roatan enjoy the "island culture" which after searching for it for 30 years now, I think they're really referring to browsing Guatemalan import crap and drinking with loud Eastern Caribbean faux reggae music being played "at 11", but that's just one old ranting man's opinion. There really is no definable island culture that you will be missing, at least none that is accessible to the week-long tourist.

....And not to seem too paranoid...anyone get Dengue Fever, Malaria, or Chikungunya while on Roatan...my wife wants to know.

Yes, someone has. The Chicken-gunga stuff? I'd go to one of the two Bojangles Chicken Franchise locations- get the "dirty rice".

Wear DEET, stick to the reservation. No worries.

Hi,
We have discovered Roatan in 2013 and returned again in 2014 with another trip planned for this fall. I have only visited AKR but it seems like a really neat place and I think you little boy will love it:) As for getting away, its really up to you but I highly recommend an island tour if you can. We have done this both trips and really enjoyed seeing other parts of the island. A day trip to Cayos Cachinos is awesome too. On to crime, I say just use common sense. We never carry anything of real value when we are out and about. We lock our cell phones in the safe and they stay there unless we use them at our rental for the internet. I always leave my jewelry at home but then have found I really wouldn't wear it much anyway being in the water as much as possible. We venture out after dark up and down West Bay Beach and get a taxi into West End and always feel safe. I wouldn't however go to Coxen Hole after dark, even our island friends don't recommend it:( As for Malaria, we take the anti-malaria meds before we leave, while there and a couple days after we return. Knock on wood, no sickness as over taken us yet:) Roatan is a beautiful place with warm, friendly and loving people. Have a wonderful time!

We have taken our Grandgirl to AKR Dolphin camp the last two Julys. She was 11 when we first went. We are going again this year she loves it that much. She is now a certified diver so she will spend part of the day diving with us and part of the day at the Dolphin camp. We have all had great experiences at AKR. We stay on the Key with AC. Nice pool and boat fleet.

Laine

Back
Top Bottom