The "Must do" Roatan dive sites are?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Heading to AKR for 2 weeks September 2015. Also looking for best sites to find nudibranchs.
What about a "muck" and lion fish dive.

All sites are good along the north side(AKR's side) along with several on West End.........(also, you'll go where they take you...:)).....

Mary's Place & the shark dive (Cara a Cara) on the south side.....

Agree with Mary's place.

The shark dive is good too if you have not done one before.

I haven't done it but I've been told there's a decent muck dive in the channel between the resort and the key. From what I understand you enter on the shore side near the boats. We did a mask check near there for the dolphin dive (not staying at AKR) and it looked pretty mucky.

+1 for Mary's Place. We also liked Spooky Channel near AKR. Of all the (mostly) West End dives we did, the sites near the west point seemed better, Texas, Bucho's Bank etc. We also liked Hole in the Wall just west of AKR. The only bad dive all week was Melissa's Reef - the fish didn't show up. We were warned about it but since it's my friend's name we had to try.

This second paragraph answers the Must Dive question not the nudi sites also.

Last edited:
Texas.

Edit: I just read the OP more closely....not really much by way of Nudis at Texas. Texas is more for big life, and is typically a pretty aggressive drift dive....not the best nudi-dive. My best nudi-dive was on the Honduras-side of the island.

Last edited:
Lion fish will show up just about anywhere. In my experience they are even more plentiful between sunset and sunrise.

Last couple of visits to Mary's Place in '12 & '14, aside from swimming through the crack were rather underwhelming for me. Not nearly the life I recall in the past. Perhaps I've been there too many times, or the site is feeling the pressure of popularity.

I can't really speak to best sites of the others AKR hits as I've not patronized them.

Nudi's? I've not had a lot of success finding them in Roatan waters. They are there, see them occasionally, but I see many many (many!) more here in California. I am headed back again (to the south side) in a couple of weeks I'll try to remember to update you :wink:

I wouldn't say nudi's are PLENTIFUL, but they are there. If you want to see the cool, small stuff like nudi's and seahorses, the south side of the island is the place to be :D

I shot this pic at Valley of the Kings while diving with Aqua Adventures out of Media Luna Resort in January:

Attachments

• Nudibranch.jpg
    Nudibranch.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 554
An update would be great KevinG58. I am a Nudi nut so if I have to dive with another dive outfit to do a certain dive ..no problem. I for sure want to do the swim through, a drift dive, wreck with Nudi night/muck dive. I would really be disappointed if I missed a "must do " or "fav" sites not knowing if I would be able to get back. Picked AKR due to location and dives sites on either side. Other than bug juice another suggestions Kevin?

---------- Post added June 19th, 2015 at 03:56 PM ----------

Valley of the Kings on the list of sites for sure ... OMG beautiful !!!

Spooky Channel is an overhead obstructed swim thru in some areas. It's practically in AKR's backyard so I can't see them not doing it.
Also they list Mary's Place as #1 on their dive site graphic.

They sunk the Aguila so I'm pretty sure you'll dive it. And the Odyssey is about 10mins. from AKR also.

Barbareta's Morat Wall is listed as one of the top dive sites near Roatan. It's a small island off Roatan's East End. I haven't been there.
I've seen it on more than one list - here's one:
Best Places to dive on Roatan | Sport Diver

Coconut Tree Divers in the West End goes out there on special trips/charters so you might check availability if AKR doesn't. Specialty Trips | Scuba Diving | Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras | PADI Or possibly one of the farther east shops.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom