CoCo View

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brown Mermaid

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
In July my club will be going to CoCo View (and yes, anyone can go), a diver's heaven of a resort. Of course, I have been there before and actually learned to dive there after being certified for 2 years.

As with any organization, we have those who question the choice of our location and want to do some other things besides dive (can you imagine that?). So my question here is (and I know I can't satisfy everyone) what other things can a person do while at the resort. I know there is the day long Utila trip to watch the whale sharks (which we all know is a natural phenomena and you might not see them). You can get massages, when I was there before some people booked a white water river rafting trip, you can go to the mainland and soak in the culture. As you can tell, I just jumped off the boat as many times as I could :wink:.

How does one get around the island? I noticed they have scooters. Is it easy to get around the island? What else can people do is my question.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Brown Mermaid :ircqnet:

Tell people who don't want to dive all the time that the trip is not for them.

Not being negative here, its just the truth. There is a neat canopy tour you can do, but in all honesty there isn't enough to do to keep someone from getting bored to tears.

If you were going to Truk Lagoon and someone wanted to go along but didn't want to do wreck diving, it would be the same situation. Not every trip is for every person.

You can have the girls in the office make arrangements for you to rent a jeep. It will be delivered to the dock and one of the crew will take you over on a crew boat. The activities director can supply you with a map and you're free to explore to your hearts desire! Please don't do the scooter thing! There are botanical gardens, iguana farms, ancient ruins, shopping, etc. If you don't want to do the self tour thing, the activities director can make arrangements for Eco-Tours, Canopy rides, shark dives, horseback riding as well as the white water rafting. Talk to her and give her an idea of what you want to do and she'll set it all up for you.

Dee:
You can have the girls in the office make arrangements for you to rent a jeep.

I always recommend hiring a driver. It really isn't that much a price difference, and from my knowledge of Honduran liability laws, you don't want to expose yourself to a traffic accident. Add to that the crummy roads (pot holes, unmarked, no reflectors, edges that are eroded, careless pedestrians) and the lack of any medical center- hire a driver.

CCV has a stable of drivers that are on call that speak English and know the drill. It is, however, up to you to direect their efforts and driving. I prefer something a little off the beaten path- once my trip participants have seen Coxen Hole and shopped there and the West End, and they have done the Dolphin Snorkel at AKR...

I send them on a water taxi mangrove tour out of Oak Ridge. This is the rough equivelant of a pub crawl via motorized panga.

Unfortunately, Roatan (and more specificaly CCV) is best designed for divers. If you aren't diving, you gotta be scratchin' your bug bites. There isn't really much else to do. Is that a bad thing? I don't think so.

CCV is physicaly isolated from the main body of Roatan as it lies just South of it on its own private ten acre cay. This is a good thing because no one will be there all week except the long term staff and you. No transient traffic, no security issues. The bad side is that you need to coordinate thru the office your motor launch rides over to the 'landing', where you get into a rubber tired vehicle. I think it's worth the hassle.

If anyone is going to Roatan for activities other than diving- they will have trouble filling a week with any real entertainment.

Find out more at the CoCoView CoCoNuts message board, see: http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/mb/ccv
and that ought to help answer a lot more questions.

Drink-Drink-Drink. You can get them to take you to the dock and go to GIO's for a awesome meal. But CCV is about diving been there many times.

I really agree with the Drink-Drink-Drink. I will try GIO's. I've only been to CCV once and had the time of my life.

domino22:
Drink-Drink-Drink. You can get them to take you to the dock and go to GIO's for a awesome meal. But CCV is about diving been there many times.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom