Family trip to Roatan in April

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
We're planning a trip in mid-April with 3 divers (one 14-yr-old), one soon to be diver (age 12) and one snorkler (age 9). Is Anthony's Key a good choice? The 12-yr-old is fairly tentative about diving (had a bad ear experience a couple yrs. ago), any suggestions for a good, patient dive instructor (we'll probably have him do his pool work before the trip). Also, any suggestions for non-diving adventures during our 12-14 day trip (considering Copan)

Howdy!

And welcome to SB - the biggest, the best, the fastest growing, and :D the friendliest!
If you'll click ScubaBoard.com above, you'll be taken to our long list of forums, a wealth of information and resources. At the bottom, be sure to notice the Local & Singles Dive Club forums.

I've been to Roatan a couple of times, and I'd say that AKR, Fantasy Island, and Coco View all would be good choice. With one or two non-divers, I'd select in that order - with AKR as your best bet. But read up on reports on all in our Central American forum.

PM me if I can help you learn your way around; that is - click my username to the upper left, then follow the prompts to send me a "Personal Message." :thumb:

:cowboy: don

Anthony's Resort with kids is definitely a good choice if you go during one of the weeks with a kids camp. They have a very organized and structured program from talking to one of the Marine Biologists at the Marine Sciences Institute (we sat beside her on the flight into Roatan).

The kids program includes dolphin training sessions, horseback riding, a visit to the Bird Park, and movie nights. You can probably do all of this on your own anyway if there is no kids camp. We also enjoyed signing up for the canopy ride after the barbecue at Tabyana Beach. One of the couples signed up for a whitewater rafting excursion and said it was not worth it.

The boat diving is awesome. The dive boats are very roomy and it is easy to get your gear and into the water. The conditions seemed to be consistently calm at all the regular dive sites when we were there in May. I don't think your 12 year old should have any problems. I would think the 9 year old would definitely be able to snorkel on the afternoon boat dives.

Our divemaster was Ricardo and we would recommend him highly. He was very attentive with the more timid divers and chose dive sites that everyone seemed to enjoy.

We were not as impressed with one of the instructors we witnessed giving a navigation course. She and her student surfaced a fair ways from the mooring line and our boat captain had to go and pick them up. The instructor admitted they had gotten lost!

The accomodations are basic bungalows and I would recommend the extra cost for the deluxe units with air conditioning. On our previous trip in December, we stayed in a standard bungalow and it was uncomfortable sleeping at night with only a ceiling fan. In May, we upgraded to a deluxe unit with air conditioning on the key and we took a 2 min boat taxi to and from the key by clanging on a tank... it definitely added to the charm of staying on the resort.

We enjoyed many nights on the dock watching the eagle rays come in to feed on the creatures attracted by the light. If you are looking for a laid back and quiet vacation then you will enjoy Anthony's Key. Don't expect a lot of other kids there if it's not during the children's programs. We are planning on taking our two girls (9 and 10) but the kids camps are always during their peak season rates!

Hope this information is helpful in planning your trip to Roatan. I'm sure you will have a great time!

Hi Lolo,

Welcome to the 'Board. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums.

gasgirl, thanks for the detailed info - it's an excellent intro to the helpfulness of the 'Board!

Cheers,

Andrew

Moved from Introductions & Greets forum.

There are things like canopy ziplining, the Carambola Gardens (by AKR) and an iguana farm on Roatán, but check out this site near La Ceiba:

http://www.jungleriverlodge.com/

Lots to see and do if you and your kids love adventure.

I'm looking forward to a month or so in Honduras this summer, half by myself and half with my husband. I'm planning 2 weeks in Copán Ruinas studying Spanish and exploring, then my husband will join meand we'll go to the Jungle Lodge before we spend a week on Utila and a week and a half on Roatán. No kids this time, though - we had such a blast spending the summer of '03 in Belize as a family that they're all living overseas this year (ages 18, 19, and 21). Be careful! You might be starting something!

Welcome aboard and keep us posted.

Happy trails...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom