Logging Time towards my Captain License

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TigerDiver8

Contributor
Reaction score
Ventura County, California, United States
# of dives
500 - 999
Where can i get a log book to document sea time. Or can i make my own on excel or something, if so what should be written down...... Date/Vessel Name/Vessel Type/Vessel Length/motor or sail powered/ Registration Number/ Time on water/ is that it or do i need to document more. Also, do i have the captain sign off after each trip for a verification signature.

You get the pages from the Coast Guard's website. I'm too lazy to find you a link. Sorry mate. On the page, you have vessel name, type, propulsion, tonnage, etc. It also asks where you were at, what your role was. What your time on it was, and a place for the Captain or Owner to sign off on you. If it's your own boat, you can sign for yourself.

Let me know if you have any other questions

peter@ultimatecavediving.com
100 Ton Master

The easiest way is to just use a calendar. Oh, I just saw this was about a year ago, so how are you coming with all?

no this was posted a few weeks ago, but i have 21 days sea time so far, working on research boats in Hawaii and just did 2 days on a 137 ft, 70 year old Tall Ship, "The Bill of Rights" doing research in the Santa Barbara Channel. and hopefully will be able to volunteer on the dive boat i frequent.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:ApplyBreakingRules/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:UseFELayout/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> Hi TigerDiver8, Ok I must have missed that. The way I did it was with a calendar that was like “sticky notes”. I had it stuck to my cars sun visor and every day I was out on the boat I wrote down the numbers of hours. At the end of the month, I peeled it off, stuck it in a file folder the continued on with the next month. It was too easy.

When it came time to cash in all those days, I put all the data on a company letter head or sometimes just a letter and had the owner sign it. Of course, the boats name, size, tonnage, Regis number, had to be there. I rarely gave exact hours; I averaged them out over the period of time. That being said, 8 hours is a day, 12 hours is day and a half. This is how the USCG does it. There is no such thing as anything more then a 12+ hour “watch day” as far as the USCG is concerned. I also used the USCG Sea Time form but you have to get it notarized, but not so for the letter.

If you are moving from one boat to the next on a regular bases then you need to collect your time “letter” right then or you might get screwed, happens all the time.

Interesting your in Hawaii as that’s my home and where I did most of my time. If you know Navatek or Star of Honolulu I’ve driven them all plus many others. I started with 50 ton and within a few years I have a Master 500 Ton w/100 Ton Aux Sail. Now on my 5th issue, that’s about 25 years.

If you have any questions, please ask.

ZamaTim
<!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]-->

That being said, 8 hours is a day, 12 hours is day and a half. This is how the USCG does it. There is no such thing as anything more then a 12+ hour &#8220;watch day&#8221; as far as the USCG is concerned. I also used the USCG Sea Time form but you have to get it notarized, but not so for the letter.

While 8 hours is a day, so is 4 hours underway:

"On Jan 20, 2014, at 6:03 PM, "Cavo, James" <james.d.cavo@uscg.mil> wrote:

Four hours. Time at the dock as part of normal operations is OK. Time when the vessel is not underway for extended periods is not.

James D. Cavo
U.S. Coast Guard
Mariner Credentialing Program
Policy Division (CG-CVC-4)"

And do could you please site where the USCG considers 12 hours underway to equal a day and a half of sea time? Considering that 4 or more hours underway in a 24 hour period is considered 1 day of sea time.

You do not need to notarized the small vessel sea time form.

http://www.uscg.mil/forms/cg/cg_719s.pdf</james.d.cavo@uscg.mil>

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't want to hijack this thread, but I do have a quick question. I have started logging my time on vessels when I can, but I also rent boats when I am in the keys. So, can I log the time I am using the rental boat? I understand it's not my boat, but I am acting as operator and there is no owner on it.

Thanks,

Michael

You should be able to log time on a rental boat but be sure to get the owner to sign the Coast Guard form before you cash out. It may be difficult to get them to sign at a later date.

You should be able to log time on a rental boat but be sure to get the owner to sign the Coast Guard form before you cash out. It may be difficult to get them to sign at a later date.

Thanks, that's what I thought. I'll just make sure I have the form with me this year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom