Belize Blue Hole

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaGoran

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm looking for information/recommendations for dive boat operators out of Ambergris Caye for a one day trip to the Blue Hole. Any advice?

Sorry, i dove it from Turneffe island, which i believe is closer to the hole. But here's a word of advise. Even if your not prone to seasickness, you might consider taking something before you go. Our trip was a real puker for well over half the boat. I had to concentrate on not getting sick and i usually don't have a problem.

I believe Ambergris is a longer ride. Well worth the trip by the way, it was a cool dive.

the advice I have is to see if the outfitter will also take you to Lighthouse Caye to dive Silver Bells and Cathedral...they were the best dives we had in Belize.

Actually, I'd just skip BH and do Lighthouse instead...

There are several choices for the Blue Hole from Ambergris some of the Operators are

Amigos Del Mar
They operate a PRO 48 and charge $185 U.S for a day trip
They take about 1 and a half hours depending on the weather 2 to 2and a half in rough seas.

Ambegris Divers are another operation that run a local built 40ft boat that is powered by triple 200 yamahas, they are a little cheaper $165 or so and are open to discounts.

I personally use Amigos for our guests for the lng offshore trips.

Silver caves and Cathedral are all located along long caye and any dive along that wall is STUNNING

i would absolutely reccomend diving the Blue Hole and very rarely is there a trip that heads to Lighthouse which does not include the Blue Hole as this is the draw of ther trip.
Its a great dive and I reccomend you draw your own conclusions as to how you liked diving the Blue Hole.

99.9% of my guests LOVED IT

Have fun and Dive Safe

Gaz

cyklon_300 once bubbled...
the advice I have is to see if the outfitter will also take you to Lighthouse Caye to dive Silver Bells and Cathedral...they were the best dives we had in Belize.

Actually, I'd just skip BH and do Lighthouse instead...

OK, but you've left out Half Moon Caye.

YOUR RIGHT

HALF MOON CAYE is also AWESOME

and is normally included in the Blue Hole trip

A 1 Day Trip is just not long enough maybe an ovenight would be better.

regards

Gaz

I did the BH trip with Aqua Dives (sunbreeze hotel) a year ago - it was an extremely cool dive. It's pretty amazing to look down into this well of blue nothingness. We counted 7 bull sharks and 3 black tips down in the hole with us. No threatening behaviour, just looking. The DM told me later that people have been feeding the sharks to attract them (not that I approve, but...)

We also did some local wall dives (sorry, don't have my log with me to name the sites) and visited Half Moon Caye to have lunch and admire the hermit crabs and orange-footed boobies.

At any rate, if you can find a way to take this trip from a closer location, DO IT. The boat ride was a couple hours long and actually pretty hellacious. I'm sure I lost an inch or so of height after being slammed around all that time. (The seas were a bit rough that day... yikes) All the same, it was worth it. It was a real adventure.

The dive site, as Gaz noted, is Silver CAVES (not Bells, duh, must have heard too many xmas songs)...and we were at LONG Caye for our SI following the BH, not Lighthouse...

Note to self: Have log available when posting specific info and cut back to equal parts of rum/eggnog...

I would rate the BH higher if I'd seen the sharks you guys mentioned...it was completely barren when I dived it...

Yeah the Blue Hole can be an AWESOME dive especially when the Sharks are there which now is almost GUARANTEED, however i am finding in my message board travels that the Liveaboards do not seem to see the sharks as much as te locals Ambergris boats do.

Therefore the divers on the liveaboards whom tend to be more experienced divers have a lesser opinion on the Blue Hole dive when if fact its important that they do see the sharks as they are the most vocal posting on message boards.

The reason the Ambergris boats see the sharks is they actually drop a few sardines in the water on arrival to bring the sharks up from the dpeths as they like to remain real deep 160+ by dropping a few sardines in upoin arrival they come to the surface.

This is of course controversial whethers it good or bad but thats another subject.

The Blue hole is a unique Dive and with the sharks its even better.

Dive Safe

Gaz

I just got back from Ambergris on Wednesday. We also spent a week out at Turneffe Flats (highly highly recommended) before going to San Pedro. If I was going to dive the blue hole from Ambergris I would definately use Amigos. Reason? Nicer dive boat than the other guys (pro48). It's a long trip and a nicer boat can really make the difference.

BTW, I did think the blue hole was one of the coolest of the 18 dives we did on that trip.

-Jon

Back
Top Bottom