sail/dive boats and Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fosse

Reaction score
Maybe someone can give me some input. My girlfriend and I (both cert.) are planning two weeks of diving near Belize for post peak-season, maybe May-June. We're going to get a sailboat for the whole time, and do a little cruising with sheets up near land, and a lot of diving and just bumming. I learned to sail in college, and have been on boats bigger than the little Js enough to know I can handle the rigs in fair weather, but I don't know anything about choosing among the boats out there today. The charter companies have too many sorts even to list. And I'm wondering how to choose a boat that's comfortable, but also that makes a good dive platform. Any general guidelines, or maybe an online source or two that could help me?

Thanks a lot. More soon! -- Michael Fosse

Hey fosse!

The Better Half & I lived aboard a 43' Hunter sailboat in the Bahamas for 2 years, and we ran a sail/dive charter from her. Although we had a 15' RIB that we outfitted as our dive boat, we did a lot of diving from the sailboat herself.

I guess the main thing you are looking for is something with a good swim platform & drop-down ladder off the stern. That would suggest a boats like Catalina, Hunter, Beneteau.... (These are also fairly shallow draft with bulb wing keels, esp the Hunters.)

Drop me an email at submariner@post.com & perhaps I can answer some specific questions you may have.

~Submariner~

one online source where you'll find a lot of articles related to dive platforms is at http://www.boats.com. I've seen a lot there in the past.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom