Divemaster jobs in Belize?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vash

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am a divemaster in Utila, honduras at the moment, but i am leaving in a week and will be travelling to Belize. The rainy season is coming, combined with recent events, results in a lack of tourists and little diving. I was wondering if it's the same for belize and if it's hard to get a job as a DM.

Well nigh impossible. It's also extremely quiet here, and there are many instructors who are also qualified boat captains who can't get work. Leaving aside the legal considerations, which for Belize are considerable.

I kind of feared it was the case, I'll just travel then and do a bit of diving.

Thanks for the reply.

The only job for instructors & DMs right now is part time. We are in need of several but only about 2-3 days a week every week. Our season starts November and runs thru March. We spend a lot of money and resources every year training staff at little to no cost to them and very few complete the courses. The only problem I see u having is that u are a foreigner and cannot work legally in Belize. However Belizean DMs and Instructors are welcome.

I was pretty sure what hpbelize said about foreigners not being able to work as DM's was the case in Belize. Of course, foreigners need work permits in Honduras, but almost none have them.

Being foreign isn't an absolute bar, though it makes things much more difficult. I know several foreigners who did get work in diving in Belize, but (a) they were instructors, and (b) they were in remote areas where they could maintain a low profile.

Nowadays it is almost impossible to for a foreigner to work illegally alongside Belizeans in the same location with the same job description and pay scale. You can have some leverage that will facilitate an employer to obtain a work permit for you to work legally. Being fluent in German is a very good asset in our operation since we cater to literally hundreds of German guests monthly. For example, I can apply to the Labour Department and say "I need a DM for the next 4 months only who speaks German, knows diesel mechanics, has a captain license, etc. I can't find a local DM with these qualifications but there is this guy in Honduras..." They will review my case and might just give me a 4 month license for you to work. I know the Dolphin operation (R.I.P.) had no problem obtaining work permits for foreign trainers since there were only 2 qualified local trainers in the country. Resort managers also get work permits with little delay since there are few locals qualified in that field. I am sure PADI examiners have no problem making money in Belize either. Flip through your resume you might find out you have other qualifications other than DM skills and send applications to every operator you can Google and I'm sure you won't be easily discouraged.

Thanks! Thats very good advice

For just a divemaster, there would not be a great demand here in Belize. There are a dozen unemployed divemasters here in the south who would gladly take whatever they could get. Instructors, dms who are good boat captains, and dms who speak several foreign languages might get some opportunities. Also, the pay scale in much of Belize is exactly the same as in a decent operation in Roatan. It is probably worse economically speaking in the Bay Islands, but it certainly is not great here in Belize either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom