Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Divemaster jobs in Belize?

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    100 - 199

Divemaster jobs in Belize?

I am a divemaster in Utila, honduras at the moment, but i am leaving in a week and will be travelling to Belize. The rainy season is coming, combined with recent events, results in a lack of tourists and little diving. I was wondering if it's the same for belize and if it's hard to get a job as a DM.

Dive Shop Owner

What does
    "status" mean?

Dives
    5,000 - ∞
    Well nigh impossible. It's also extremely quiet here, and there are many instructors who are also qualified boat captains who can't get work. Leaving aside the legal considerations, which for Belize are considerable.
    No longer running Protech technical dive centre, but still teaching ad-hoc.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    100 - 199
    I kind of feared it was the case, I'll just travel then and do a bit of diving.

Thanks for the reply.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    I'm a Fish!
    Photos
    The only job for instructors & DMs right now is part time. We are in need of several but only about 2-3 days a week every week. Our season starts November and runs thru March. We spend a lot of money and resources every year training staff at little to no cost to them and very few complete the courses. The only problem I see u having is that u are a foreigner and cannot work legally in Belize. However Belizean DMs and Instructors are welcome.
    HP Belize on Facebook
    February Special Package
    HP Belize Adventures
    "offering premier tour operation services for both the land and the sea through experience and commitment......."
    HP Belize Blog

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Photos
    I was pretty sure what hpbelize said about foreigners not being able to work as DM's was the case in Belize. Of course, foreigners need work permits in Honduras, but almost none have them.

Dive Shop Owner

What does
    "status" mean?

Dives
    5,000 - ∞
    Being foreign isn't an absolute bar, though it makes things much more difficult. I know several foreigners who did get work in diving in Belize, but (a) they were instructors, and (b) they were in remote areas where they could maintain a low profile.
    No longer running Protech technical dive centre, but still teaching ad-hoc.

Dive Con

Curaçao bound

Dives
    200 - 499
    yea i have seen forghnir people wokeing on boats

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    I'm a Fish!
    Photos
    Nowadays it is almost impossible to for a foreigner to work illegally alongside Belizeans in the same location with the same job description and pay scale. You can have some leverage that will facilitate an employer to obtain a work permit for you to work legally. Being fluent in German is a very good asset in our operation since we cater to literally hundreds of German guests monthly. For example, I can apply to the Labour Department and say "I need a DM for the next 4 months only who speaks German, knows diesel mechanics, has a captain license, etc. I can't find a local DM with these qualifications but there is this guy in Honduras..." They will review my case and might just give me a 4 month license for you to work. I know the Dolphin operation (R.I.P.) had no problem obtaining work permits for foreign trainers since there were only 2 qualified local trainers in the country. Resort managers also get work permits with little delay since there are few locals qualified in that field. I am sure PADI examiners have no problem making money in Belize either. Flip through your resume you might find out you have other qualifications other than DM skills and send applications to every operator you can Google and I'm sure you won't be easily discouraged.
    HP Belize on Facebook
    February Special Package
    HP Belize Adventures
    "offering premier tour operation services for both the land and the sea through experience and commitment......."
    HP Belize Blog

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    100 - 199
    Thanks! Thats very good advice

Frequent Poster

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    100 - 199
    For just a divemaster, there would not be a great demand here in Belize. There are a dozen unemployed divemasters here in the south who would gladly take whatever they could get. Instructors, dms who are good boat captains, and dms who speak several foreign languages might get some opportunities. Also, the pay scale in much of Belize is exactly the same as in a decent operation in Roatan. It is probably worse economically speaking in the Bay Islands, but it certainly is not great here in Belize either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast