Ambergris Caye, Caye Caulker and Glover´s Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tchami

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

My girlfriend and I are travelling with backpacks around central america, and right now we´re in Cozumel for the diving. Some time next week we´re going to Belize, strictly for the diving.

We have been looking at what Belize has to offer, and would like some advice on our (limited) research.

1. As far as I can tell, there are two main hubs for diving. Ambergris/Caulker in the north, and Glover´s in the south. We´re considering going to both, but is it worth spreading our time out over both, our should we stick with one? We have 2-3 weeks.

2. We heard that it is whale shark/manta season. Is this true, and if so, where would be our best chances of diving with these?

3. We will probably chose Ambergris over Caulker, as my girlfriend likes to go to the beach some days instead of diving, and we heard that the beaches are better on Ambergris. Is this true?

4. Finally, does anyone have some advice on dive shops in these locations? I read Belize Diving Services and Frenchies from Caulker get good reviews.

Sorry for all the questions :) If I've missed anything, please let me know.

Best regards,
Jacob

The main diving areas are the northern cayes (Ambergris and Caulker - both islands of course) and Placencia, on the mainland well to the south of Belize. Glovers is one of the three atolls in Belize and is a venue for diving but not normally somewhere you would stay. The reef is much further away from the mainland in the south, so expect long and expensive boat trips. It's five minutes away from Ambergris Caye.

I think full moon is in around two weeks' time, and for a few days around then is the best time to view whalesharks. By far the best place to do this is at Gladden Spit, in southern Belize, so if this is what you really want to do then go south and don't come to the northern cayes. Or come here first and then go south. On the mainland the best places to stay for whaleshark trips are Placencia or Hopkins, a bit further north. There are island options, and one of my favourites is to stay on Thatch Caye, a private island about level with Hopkins that runs its own dive and whaleshark trips.

If you're backpacking I presume you're on a low budget. Probably your best bet is in fact Placencia as you'll find cheap accommodation there (if there's cheap accommodation at Hopkins I don't know of it). I know of three whaleshark operators there (Placencia) - Seahorse, Avadon and Splash. The one I personally know best and would use is Seahorse, but I'm sure you'll have a great time with any of them. I suggest you contact them (find them via Google) and ask what dates are best, and also ask if they can help with accommodation.

You could see a bit of the north and the south. From Cancun your best bet to get to Belize is to take the bus south to Chetumal, then take the ferry direct to San Pedro on Ambergris Caye. You could stay here for a few days and sample our diving before heading south for your prebooked (very important that) whaleshark expedition. Allow for at least two, ideally three, daily excursions to see the whale sharks - they aren't predictable. By far the quickest way to get from San Pedro to Placencia is to fly, using Tropic Air or Maya Island Air. It's much cheaper to bus from Belize City, but it will take a whole day and will be quite an experience! To get to Belize City you'll need to go by boat (which currently I don't recommend) or plane.

Alternatively, from Chetumal you can cross the border and go all the way to Belize City by bus, then change buses for Placencia. Beware that Belize City is not a place you're likely to want to be in at night, so if you do it this way ensure you'll be able to change buses and get out in the middle of the day.

You really need to look at some maps of Belize, so you have some idea where these various places are. You'll find lots of them at Belize Vacations, Tours, Resorts, News, Hotels, Travels, Flights, Weather, Maps, Real Estate.

Hi Jacob

Thanks for the email I have answered your questions extensivly please feel free to get back to me with any additional ones you might have

regards

Gaz Cooper

Peter seems to have answered most of your questions. You can get whale shark dates from our website at splashbelize.com. You will also find Placencia accommodation there including budget accommodation and there are some lower cost accommodation we could link you up with if you come this way.

Hi,

My girlfriend and I are travelling with backpacks around central america [...]

Ahhhh, to be young again...:cool3:

Thanks for the help everyone, and sorry for the late reply. On a budget = no internet where we are currently staying :wink:

I think we'll be skipping whale shark tours for now, and just cross our fingers that we might come across one while diving. They are a little expensive, and we've already been lucky enough to dive with a few in Thailand.

Just a quick update.

We did our first two dives today at Cypress Gardens and Hustlers Special. Good dives, but unfortunately not very good visibility (apparently because it has been raining lately).

Does anyone have an idea how long it usually takes to clear up? Or is it just one day good, and the next bad?

Just a few additions to the above, though I realize I'm a little late. For budget, Caulker has far more options than Ambergris. There are lots of inexpensive options in Hopkins and we love that place - great cultural experience. The diving on the atolls is incredible. Problem is, most of the lodges are extremely expensive or you have to be willing to spend a week and rough it, which is what we do. In other words, for some of us Glover's is paradise (amazing snorkeling from shore, too) and we'll stay there every time we visit Belize. Also, there are lots of amazing mainland adventures including gorgeous Maya ruins, hiking, caving, canoing, etc. Here are links to my photo/blog/travelogue site, Glover's Atoll Resort, Hopkins Village, and the amazing ATM cave for what they may be worth at this late date. Happy trails!

San Pedro (Ambergris Caye) can be extremely cheap. There's even an option now of staying absolutely free when you buy a week's diving, from now until December. That's 7 nights' free hotel accommodation with A/C and a pool for buying 5 days' diving! I bet Caye Caulker can't match that!

@hopefulist. Thanks for your recommendations. We still have not decided where to go after Ambergris, but we'll take Hopkins into consideration. We have no problems with roughing it :wink:

Accomodation on Ambergris is actually not too expensive. We got a very good deal on a resort-like hotel, which would otherwise have been way out of our price range. I only wish the island wasn't so touristy, but as long as it's only above water I'll live with it :)

Back
Top Bottom