Southern Belize Needs Your Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dvankirk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Got this email from a contact in Belize and thought that it might be of interest to those who have traveled to Placencia:

The people of Belize, especially southern Belize, just learned yesterday (Tuesday, 28 May) that next Tuesday, 4 June, the Government of Belize will decide whether to approve a proposal by Norwegian Cruise Lines (NCL) to bring large (mega) cruise ships to southern Belize – with their port at Crawl Caye in the Southwater Marine Reserve, part of the Belize Barrier Reef World Heritage Site, and about 8 miles off the Placencia coast. NCL says it plans to dredge Crawl Caye to increase its size by 20 acres – and Crawl is surrounded by coral. (For more information see cruise-threat )

We need to let the Government of Belize know what this will do for tourism in southern Belize – not just Placencia, but the entire south, including our cayes and reef.

Therefore, if you have the time, we would very much appreciate it if you could send emails to the following government officials and media letting them know what effect their approval of this proposal would have had on your decision to vacation in southern Belize. (This list is also available at cruise-threat ) And, if you have any friends who have been to southern Belize, please pass them on to them as well.

Thanks in advance for your consideration and assistance.

Mary

· [FONT=&quot]Honorable Dean Barrow, Prime Minister of Belize[/FONT][FONT=&quot]: secretarypm@opm.gov.bz[/FONT]

· [FONT=&quot]Honorable Manuel Heredia, Minister of Tourism[/FONT][FONT=&quot], mheredia@travelbelize.org[/FONT]

· [FONT=&quot]Honorable Lisel Alamilla, Minister of Forests, Fisheries and Sustainable Development,[/FONT][FONT=&quot] minister@ffsd.gov.bz [/FONT]

· [FONT=&quot]Channel 5:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] newsdirector@channel5belize.com[/FONT]

· [FONT=&quot]Channel 7:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] jules.vasquez@gmail.com[/FONT]

· [FONT=&quot]KREM Radio:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] contact@krembz.com[/FONT]

· [FONT=&quot]Plus TV:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] plustelevision@yahoo.com[/FONT]

· [FONT=&quot]PGTV:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] pgwil@pnpbelize.org[/FONT]

· [FONT=&quot]Love FM:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] lovefmbelize@yahoo.com[/FONT]

· [FONT=&quot]Wave Radio:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] waveradio105_9@yahoo.com[/FONT]

· [FONT=&quot]Amandala Newspaper:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Editor_amandala@yahoo.com[/FONT]

· [FONT=&quot]Reporter Newspaper:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] reporternewspaper@gmail.com and editoreporter@gmail.com[/FONT]

· [FONT=&quot]San Pedro Sun:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] info@sanpedrosun.com[/FONT]

· [FONT=&quot]San Pedro Daily:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Editor.SanPedroDaily@gmail.com[/FONT]

Mary Toy, Owner

Destinations Belize

General Delivery, Placencia Village, Belize

Belize Vacations, Belize Vacation Packages, Belize Travel Agency

mtoy@destinationsbelize.com

011-501-523-4018 (landline)

011-501-610-4718 (cell)

US Fax: 603-386-6632

Facebook: www.facebook.com/destinations.belize

The following is the position and rationale of the Placencia Chapter of the Belize Tourism Industray Assocation (BTIA)

At a special meeting called this morning (Wednesday, May 29), the board of directors of the Placencia Chapter of the Belize Tourism Industry Association (BTIA), passed a unanimous resolution calling on Cabinet to reject a proposal by Norwegian Cruise Lines (NCL) to establish a major cruise port at Crawl Caye. The 50 acre island, largely covered by mangrove, sits within a UNESCO World Heritage Site and is located six miles east of the Placencia Peninsula. For the past two weeks, the Placencia BTIA has been soliciting its members for their opinions on the proposal and have received an overwhelming response in opposition to the mass tourism project. The Placencia BTIA Board and its concerned members have highlighted the following points for Cabinet’s consideration: 1. The NCL project does not fall within the Government’s recently approved Tourism Master Plan, which specifically limits southern Belize to “pocket” cruising in ships of under 250 passengers..2. The independent study commissioned by the BTB in 2011 clearly and emphatically advises against the introduction of cruise tourism to southern Belize.3. The establishment of a cruise port within a marine protected area and a World Heritage Site makes a mockery of Belize’s reputation as a nation that protects its environment.4. The NCL project, by moving ships to the new southern port, greatly threatens the sustainability of the cruise ship industry in Belize City and the livelihood of those who have invested and work there.5. The NCL project, by turning southern Belize into a mass tourism destination, directly threatens the health of the area’s well established overnight tourism industry which is based on authenticity and an “off the beaten track” experience. We trust that Cabinet will consider the overwhelming arguments against allowing the project to go forward and will immediately cease further consideration of the NCL proposal. Sincerely, Jolie PollardExecutive DirectorPlacencia BTIAOn behalf of the board of directors: Stewart Krohn, ChairmanSteve Christensen, Vice-ChairmanDoran Yount, SecretaryDavid Vernon, TreasurerEvan Hall, CouncilorSalvador Zabaneh, CouncilorIlsa Villanueva, Councilo

IMG_2714.jpg

Emails sent. This is a sample of what I sent, if anyone wants to edit it a bit and use it themselves:

Honorable Dean Barrow,

Please reject the cruise ship proposal. It will be devestating to the coral, the sea life, and the environment. Divers who love Belize, such as myself and countless others, who are drawn to the abundance of life and vibrant colours of the corals, will have no reason to visit Belize. This matter is getting international attention and concern, and we will hope that you will reject anything to do with the cruise ship proposal or dredging.

Sincerely,

If anyone else has a sample of what they've sent, it might make it easier for people to get started...

This breaks my heart. I just got back from Placencia Wednesday night and now hear about this! Tragic. I have sent off email and hope dearly that this doesn't just end up being a decision based on money. The gist of my message is that I have gone there twice in the past year, but if they accept this proposal, they will not be any different from the other tropical places and I will have no particular reason to pick Belize over any other.

Please continue to give updates on the situation. I can't tell you how sad this makes me.

BELIZE TOURISM INDUSTRY ASSOCIATION STANDS FIRMLY AGAINST PROPOSAL BY NORWEGIAN CRUISE LINE FOR CRUISE PORT IN THE SOUTH
Press Release- Belize City- May 29,2013- The Belize Tourism Industry Association (BTIA) views with alarm, the continued ongoing talks about Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) establishing a major cruise port off the coast of the southern Stann Creek District due east of the Placencia Peninsula. The BTIA stands firmly against this proposed establishment in Southern Belize for the following reasons: Three years ago the BTB's own independent consultant concluded that Government should not permit the establishment of a cruise port in the Placencia area. Less than a year ago Cabinet gave its full support to the long anticipated Sustainable Tourism Master Plan. This exhaustive study, financed by the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB), was emphatic that southern Belize remains an eco-friendly low impact destination. Where the study did address the cruise issue, its recommendations were clear and emphatic: "Pocket cruise tourism is the onlyacceptable form of cruise tourism on the south eastern coast of Belize". The report went on to define "pocket" cruise ships as those with less than 250 passengers. NCL's ships now coming to Belize carry over 2,000 passengers and those of other lines that are likely to be using this new port facility are even larger. By opening the Southern portion of the country to large scale cruise ship visitation, the proposal fundamentally contradicts the country's tourism master plan and irrevocably positions Belize as a mass tourism destination. This 180 degree shift from Belize's identity as an authentic ecocultural destination is inexplicable in view of the uninterrupted success of Belize's dynamic overnight tourism sector. Overnight tourism, according to the Belize Tourism Board's (BTB) own statistics, not only weathered the global recession with minimal disruption but rebounded in2012 with impressive 10 percent visitor growth and record breaking visitor arrivals. This trend was maintained in the first quarter of 2013 and is predicted to continue. Additionally, huge investments, in excess of $6M are now being made under the IDB/BTB Sustainable Tourism Management Project in Memorial Park and the Fort George Tourism Zone in development of the commercial capital for present development of the cruise industry in Belize City. It is clear that the establishment of a large cruise port in southern Belize would eventually draw ships away from Belize City causing a significant loss on those investments being done today, as well as result in a serious loss of income and jobs to those tour operators, guides, tender owners, bus drivers, taxis, craft sellers and other service providers now operating in the commercial capital. When coupled with the obvious environmental damage the cruise port would cause to its pristine marine surroundings and the potential of Belize being de-certified from UNESCO as a World Heritage Site (for development within those areas) it is clear that the NCL proposal is totally incompatible with the sustainable development of Belize's vital tourism industry. The BTIA urges Cabinet and the Minister of Tourism in particular to consider all the ramifications of this proposed project and reject it outright and immediately.

From Belize Newspapers (you can get Channel 7 news from Belize on line -belizedispatches@mail-list.com; on behalf of; tvseven@btl.net )
Last week, 7News showed you the position from Prime Minister Dean Barrow and Cabinet Committee Chair Minister Godwin Hulse on the continued discussion to possibly develop cruise tourism in Southern Belize.
Norwegian Cruise Line has tabled a proposal before Government in which they want to build a cruise port on Crawl Caye to access Placencia. As has widely been reported, local private cruise interests, the BTIA, and organizations within the environmental community in Belize are staunchly against it, and they’ve gone as far as to condemn it.
GOB says that given that this investment could be no less than 100 million dollars, they have an obligation at least discuss this with NCL.
Today, the Cabinet Committee tasked to hear the proposal met at the BTB office in Belize to discuss its environmental aspects. 7News waited outside the office to speak with them, and when they came out, they chose not to disclose much until the Cabinet is aware of their findings.
Jose Sanchez - Channel 5 News
"We've been hearing that Crawl Caye is a bust. What's the story Norwegian Cruise after this meeting today?"
Hon. Godwin Hulse – Minister of Labour
hulse.june3.13.jpg
"Mr. Sanchez it's a good question but the truth of the matter is that we have to take a gull report of cabinet colleagues tomorrow before we can make a statement to the public. It would be absolutely unfair for Cabinet to hear it on the radio tonight and it's a lengthy disussion, it's not a one word answer at all."
"While you can't report on it. The fact that the world heritage site - and crawl caye is in it, would that have made part of whatever decision was made today?"
Hon. Godwin Hulse
"Any decision that is made within this country - as I have said over and over, from the Cabinet's position encompasses five clear parameters. One that it is socially economically acceptable and legally doable. That it brings revenue to government, brings meaningful jobs to the country, that it doesn't destroy the environment but in fact enhances it - if those criteria are met then we are good to go and that is what Cabinet will discuss tomorrow. "
"As someone that deals with the environment; did you have environmental concerns that it is in the World Heritage Site?"
Hon. Lisel Alamilla – Ministry of Forestry, Fisheries and Sustainable Development
alamilla.june3.13.jpg
"Of course, environment has to be an important of the discussion, I think Minister Hulse told you that tomorrow we will discuss this at Cabinet and based on that we will make a public statement. I have nothing else to say, thank you."
Reliable sources informed us that officials from the Forestry Department, the Fisheries Department, and the Department of Environment all made presentations at today’s meeting, and they’ve made a strong case to committee about the possible environmental impact.

Story at 7 News Belize

Heartbreaking. Perhaps we need to get the word out more than just Belizean media?

Heartbreaking. Perhaps we need to get the word out more than just Belizean media?

Yes we should. While this is the Belize barrier reef, it is a WORLD HERITAGE SITE!!!!!

---------- Post added June 6th, 2013 at 10:17 AM ----------

For weeks, 7News has been following the story where Cruise Tourism Giant, Norwegian Cruise Line wanted to access Southern Belize.Their plan was to build a port to call on Crawl Caye, in which the company would be able to access Placencia. But as we’ve reported, the local private cruise interests, members of the conservation community, and BTIA are staunchly against it.
As we showed you 2 days ago, Forestry Department, the Fisheries Department, and the Department of Environment all made presentations at a secondary meeting as to the viability of the project based on the environmental concerns.
There were talks coming out of that meeting that this was the weigh which steered Cabinet against it, and today finally, we got confirmation.
So, Crawl Caye is a no-go, for this project; that’s what the Prime Minister and Minister Godwin Hulse, the chair of the subcommittee, told us today.
And because of the nature of negotiations, there were many unanswered questions about the proposal which GOB didn’t want to address until after it was fully heard.
They also tackled those tough questions.
Hon. Godwin Hulse - Minister of Labour
hulse.june5.13.jpg
"As I said the last time we spoke that the committee would meet and we did meet. There was a presentation by our technical side in response to the upgraded presentation made by NCL, they concluded that even that presentation was outside the parameters required to give the green light for a development for Crawl Caye. So Crawl Caye is off the table and we've informed NCL accordingly. That does not mean that we are not continuing to dialogue with the people, we must understand that this is a huge investment. NCL is a reputable company, it's a world-class cruise company and any investment proposal to our country that could enhance jobs, enhance growth and create a better way for people - we can't just simple 'shush' away. So we have informed them of that, they have not completely withdrawn, we are continuing to talk and we will see where we go from there."

Daniel Ortiz
"So what is their position now that you've give that response that Craw Caye is a 'no-go'?"

Hon. Godwin Hulse
"Well they will continue to look and see what is possible but our view is that in any of these situations we should work with our people and work together. It's not a question that Belize is in a position to say to any investor 'ok bye bye that doesn't work' - we have to sit down with them and formulate what possibly could be a win-win situation. There's a lot of talk in the South about Cruise Tourism but there is no denial of cruise tourism so let's find something that works."

Daniel Ortiz
"So the government will still continue to consider cruise tourism in Southern Belize?"

Hon. Godwin Hulse
"Well there's a master plan that says so. The dialogue is the size, the carrying capacity of the various sites, etc. But nobody can deny that in fact that if a boat of people landed in Punta Gorda to buy stuff, or in Hopkins or in Maya Center or in any of these Coastal Villages that could spurn small businesses, that could start to move things with taxi men, small busses - that it would be a good thing."

Hon. Dean Barrow - Prime Minister of Belize
barrow.june5.13.jpg
"NCL I believe is interested in looking at other possibilities in the South of Belize so I stress that we've not said a blanket 'No' to any potential development for Cruise Tourism in the South at all but certainly it cannot - in terms of all the constraints, in terms of all the considerations articulated to us by the technical people - it cannot, will not work on Crawl Caye."

Daniel Ortiz
"How do you counter to the criticism that Government seems to be reversing it's position in relation to Cruise Tourism in the South where two or three consultations have said that it is not beneficial to Belize."

Hon. Godwin Hulse
"I don't think any consultation said that is not beneficial for Belize. I think what the consultation said was to look at the size, look at the carrying capacity, capacity to deal with it so that it doesn't destroy the very things we have. It's not possible. So we continue to talk to people and talk to people. I am a solutions person, I am not a problem person - I don't turn away anything. I like to trumpet the whole ASR position when they were potential investors, there was a human cry from cane industry that it was going to do this and that - so many negatives and look at the results on the first crop."

Daniel Ortiz
"What in relation to the private interests in Belize City for Cruise tourism and the environmental community who believe that Southern Belize cruise tourism should not be opened - what's the government's position on that?"

Hon. Dean Barrow
"Well that's the point that I just made. We do not accept that there can be any blanket prohibition on the development on cruise tourism on Southern Belize. I said last time that even with respect to Crawl Caye - the tour guide community in Placencia is strongly in support and we believe that you can find any number of players in the Tourism Industry that would support some kind of cruise project in Southern Belize. So we will not say that the decision is a blanket prohibition - we will look at any proposals on a case by case basis. I don't know how there was ever a thought that if a project takes place in the South that it would divert traffic from Belize City."

Daniel Ortiz
"That was a concern, sir."

Hon. Dean Barrow
"That cannot be a concern because we made clear to NCL even at the start of the discussion that if the project were ever to see the light of day - there site would be limited to hosting calls only from ships from NCL - no other line would be able to go there so there was never any question of a conflict between the interests of the Belize City people and the people in the south."

7News contacted NCL’s Vice President of Destination & Strategic Development, Colin Murphy, for an interview today. Unfortunately, he was already on his flight out of the country, and he promised to avail himself at the next opportunity when he is in Belize.
He did speak to the Amandala Newspaper earlier this week in which he addressed the reason for their interests, and the environmental concerns.
He said quote,
“…the 30% of the passengers who come off the ship have a great time, but the other 70% don’t have a good time.”
End QuoteAnd in relation to the environmental concerns, he told the Amandala, quote, “Does it make any sense for us to bring passengers to an area – and we are doing that because the area is beautiful – does it make any sense at all for us to bring passengers there and then destroy it?” End Quote.
Murphy also said that his company has ships and the expertise to operate in environmentally sensitive areas.

The good news is that Crawl Caye is off the table. Unfortunately the overall problem doesn't go away.

Back
Top Bottom