Turneffe vs Ambergris

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SandyUT

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

We are considering a trip to the Turneffe Island area next year. We have been to Ambergris and it was not bad but not near as nice as half moon caye.

My question - is the Turneffe area more like half moon caye all or more like Ambergris?

Choosing between Belize Aggressor, Blackbird or Turneffe Flats (must have at least 3 dives a day).

Thanks!

Blackird and Turneffe Flats both have 3 dives a day in their dive packages. For a week stay Turneffe will include a trip to Half Moon, where as it's an optional extra with Blackbird but there is a lot of really good dive sites around Turneffe like the Elbow, the diving around Turneffe I would say is more like Half Moon Caye than Ambergris. Both resorts are in stunning locations and they are very quiet, great if that's what you're after. If the sole purpose of your trip is the diving then the Belize Aggressor will be the better option - more dives in more locations :)

Did you consider Turneffe Island Resort and cross it off your list?

We've been there twice for a total of three weeks and will probably go again next year. As someone else here said, it's like summer camp for adults.

And ditto that the atoll is a lot more like HMC than is AC.

Thanks Downing. Can you confirm that TIR only does 2 dives a day? It's a beautiful looking place!

I wrote this long post on TIR and then realized it wasn't on your list so went back and deleted it.

Typically, TIR does three dives a day and also offers a night dive on Thursday. I believe Friday is the only two-dive day, both in the morning, so the staff can rinse and dry your gear for in preparation for your transfer off the island on Saturday.

These things are always subject to change, so I would definitely check with the front office in Houston before you plunk down a deposit.

TIR's Blue Hole Day is Tuesday, weather permitting of course, with the SIs and lunch on Half Moon, one of my favorite spots on the planet.

Having read a lot of reviews here on SB and elsewhere, in terms of overall vacation experience including accommodations, food, service and popularity for divers I would rank TIR first, TF second and Blackbird a distant third. I think the pricing reflects that. Blackbird has its own runway so the guests are flown in and out, which is something to consider if anyone in your party is prone to sea sickness I guess.

Another advantage for TIR is that the Elbow is less than five minutes away. You can dive it pretty much every day if you like as long as that's the general consensus of your boat, which it often is especially as the week comes to a close.

I think you would have a good experience at any of the three atoll resorts but you'd have the best one at TIR.

Last edited:
My question - is the Turneffe area more like half moon caye all or more like Ambergris?

Choosing between Belize Aggressor, Blackbird or Turneffe Flats (must have at least 3 dives a day).

Thanks!

Turneffe area wins every day, all day, any day! No comparison to Ambergris.

thanks divin'dog. we were pretty sure, but just need to hear it! Now its a matter of throwin down! wooo! stoked to be getting a trip on the books.

My wife and I spent a week at the Flats a couple of years ago, and cannot wait to fit it back into our schedule. We happened to be the only two divers there that week, and had the boat and dive guide all to our own. We dove all over the Northern end of the atoll, and it was absolutely amazing (did a Blue Hole trip too). We might have had the luck of being the only divers at the time, but would go back regardless of the number of divers we would be there with. I started out my diving on Cozumel back in the 80's, and I think that Turneffe offers more variety than anything I ever experienced elsewhere.

I'd dive the Elbow every day at least once. It's a special place. I've been to Tubbataha and Sipadan, two places noted for marine life. The Elbow isn't as big but when you find the "spot" it has as much or more fish than the other places I mentioned. Unreal.

At one time, free diving and holding at about 35 feet deep I saw 2000 or so cubera snapper, 150-200 dog snapper, numerous mutton snappers in the mix, 80-100 fifteen lb horse eye jacks, 1000 small horseye jacks near the bottom and a school of about 60 or so permit. All at the same time. Not to mention the numerous black, tiger and other grouper hiding in the rocks on the bottom at about 60-90 feet. You can also see large king fish and cero mackerel cruising by.
It has weird currents. At that spot there is a bit of a down current on a sandy slope. A very special place.

Wow you guys are killing me!! I want to
Go now and we are months out. At least I have a reason to work now. Sounds
Pretty awesome !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom