Belize - Must see? Must do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ibmerlin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just bought tickets to Belize next March. After all the great info and tips i received on the forum last year concerning our ABC trip this forum is the first place im checking out.

So for our fist trip to Belize what are the must see -must do- dive sites, attractions, restaurants, and hotels? Leaning toward San Pedro for the "Ocean" part of the trip. Not sure about the inland part.

Any tips on travel and the ins and outs of Belize?

Thank you in advance!

Well, San Pedro is the number one tourist wet destination. The Cayo District would be the number one dry destination.

If you want to get further off the beaten track, I'd recommend Placencia for wet and the Toledo District for dry.

Belize is a small country but still a pretty big place (think Massachusetts). It would be difficult to see it all or even just the "must see" spots in one trip unless you're going to spend a substantial amount of time there, like at least a month in one go. I've been four times for a total of nearly three months and there's still plenty left to see and do on my list.

Here's a really good guide book to help you zero in on what Belize has to offer: Belize Insight Guide. Chock full of information and beautiful color photographs, it breaks down Belize district by district. I've found it to be a very valuable resource as well as an excellent read.

I would take the trip to Lamanai on your last day. It is a REALLY fun excursion. Puddle jump from AC to BC. Then minibus and river ride. We had a great time.

Inland, you should see some Mayan ruins if you haven't seen any or many before. Tricdacna's suggestion of Lamanai is spot-on if I recall. And you might try "cave tubing." Like the classic summertime activity "river tubing" that many of us grew up with of floating down a river in a truck innertube, only through cave areas.

Here's a really good guide book to help you zero in on what Belize has to offer: Belize Insight Guide. Chock full of information and beautiful color photographs, it breaks down Belize district by district. I've found it to be a very valuable resource as well as an excellent read.

Its funny that you recommended that book, I just got it from amazon this week. Reading it now

---------- Post added October 3rd, 2013 at 06:16 PM ----------

After arriving in Belize City is there Puddle jumpers to San Pedro? Any recommendations if more that one carrier?

I want to spend 4-5 day ocean and 2-3 days inland. I know that many resorts have activity services for a cost but was thinking about finding a good dive shop for diving and renting a car inland and checking out the Mayan sites and cave tubing and maybe zip line.

Yes to puddle jumpers, Tropic Air and Maya Air. Either are fine. You could do your inland portion first, rent a car at the international airport upon arrival and head for San Ignacio for inland portion. Then take the puddle jumper to the island from the Municipal airport in Belize City (rather than the International airport) when you return from inland. That will save you money on the puddle jumper flight, if you care about that. Regardless, I always recommend doing the inland portion first and heading to the island afterwards.

I also recommend doing the ATM cave tour over the tubing, as long as you are up for it. Myself, the cave tubing is kinda boring and makes my arms hurt for days afterwards. :D

Everything Chilly said.

Plan your day so you don't have to drive after dark. And be aware of the speed bumps, which are used as a traffic speed control device.

I really enjoyed cave tubing and would do it again only next time opt for the longer version.

Zip lining, on the other hand, not so much. I spent the afternoon in total terror each time I had to take the plunge off the platform.

As Clint Eastwood playing Dirty Harry once said, "A good man knows his limitations."

I haven't zipped in Belize but did in Honduras. Loved it, the way I love a roller coaster. Scary as heck screaming snd laughing all the way. Had a few aches and pains after that too. Zinched in so tight my busitis flared up lol.

Yes to puddle jumpers, Tropic Air and Maya Air. Either are fine. You could do your inland portion first, rent a car at the international airport upon arrival and head for San Ignacio for inland portion. Then take the puddle jumper to the island from the Municipal airport in Belize City (rather than the International airport) when you return from inland. That will save you money on the puddle jumper flight, if you care about that. Regardless, I always recommend doing the inland portion first and heading to the island afterwards.

I also recommend doing the ATM cave tour over the tubing, as long as you are up for it. Myself, the cave tubing is kinda boring and makes my arms hurt for days afterwards. :D

+1 for doing the ATM tour, one of the better vacation things we have done anywhere.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom