Belize next Christmas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divingmoose

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
:headscratch:my wife and I are thinking Belize next Christmas
I've been on their web site and contacted Trade winds Paradise they set up an itinerary for us with a blue hole dive and 4 -2 tank days reef diving, a tour of the ruins and zip lining seem pretty reasonable we think But on our trip to mexico our prearranged trip was not that great
so has any one dealt with this company ?
I was told by friend I might be better to book a flight and the hotel and when we get there book dive trips and other things day by day.?

Hello Fellow Winnipeger…. In my humble opinion, the Blue Hole is over-rated.

So Tradewinds Paradise on Ambergris is the place you are staying? Do you know who they would be booking your diving with? (No way anywhere in the world would I just book "diving" and not know who it was with or anything about them.) I would research on your own the dive ops that make sense location-wise and from those pick out the one that you suits you. And book it ahead, especially considering it's the holidays.

Land excursions I'm often ok with letting a resort book for me, but I'd think you could wait until you get there and do that as you go along as the mood strikes you. In some cases you might pay more to have your resort book outside things for you, though I have no idea in this case. Sometimes it is worth the convenience, especially if you think your resort makes good choices in tour operators.

The Blue Hole is a whole 'nother discussion.

If you are planning the Blue Hole, and haven't already read up on it or been there, I recommend doing a Search on the forum about the Blue Hole. In a nutshell, I believe some have an issue with reports of relatively new OW divers without more advanced credentials & experience, doing roughly 130 - 140+ foot single tank bounce dives. Here's a thread started by Jim Lapenta in Nov. 2013 on the Blue Hole issue.

I mention this because although your dive count suggests you're seasoned enough you may already be aware of it, from what I understand it's a long ride out there, and it'd be a nasty surprise if you got there and found out at the site that conditions weren't what you'd be willing to dive.

All the more reason to follow Damselfish's advice and find out which dive op. would be taking you, then find out what size tanks, how deep, etc...

I haven't dove Belize yet; hope to someday. Would want to know in advance some specifics about any Blue Hole trips...

Richard.

As I look into this further It sound like the blue hole is going to be a maybe dive instead of the primary destination, the other reef diving would be a better chose.
I'm still looking into dive ops and other accommodations mostly web search but I am also talking with local dive ops that have diver that have been to Belize.

Last edited:
We were just there this past December. We stayed at the Blue Tang Inn, a boutique-ish hotel and dove with their recommended op - Chuck and Robbies. We enjoyed them VERY much. Virtually everyone we dove with were repeat customers (other than us). Robbie is Canadian btw so you guys speak the same language ey? :wink: We did book the diving in advance, but probably not needed. We added on nitrox and tried to do a 3rd dive, but no other takers. We were going to do an excursion to the ruins but it was rainy so we dove instead. We did do the Blue hole trip with Amigos del Mar also booked thru the hotel when we arrived. Fun day as the weather was spectacular. The blue hole dive is definitely a trust me dive, but it was fun. The group blew off the deep stop since many were low on air, but we kinda hung below and did it anyway... The other 2 dives and the boobies were great! We had a great week and hope to return. ymmv

If the package uses Aqua Scuba aka Aqua Dives, I would not book it. I especially would not be willing to ride out to lighthouse reef with them in any of their boats.

I wouldn't do Ambergris Caye again but am glad I got to experience it. I think I'm way too spoiled by the beautiful reefs and fish in Cozumel so AC was a bit of a letdown. I would, however, like to stay out at the atolls sometime to do wall dives and see more varieties of fish and more beautiful reefs. We did go down to Amigos Del Mar In San Pedro and ask about going to the Blue Hole but decided against it. It was going to cost us around $300+ per person for a very long boat ride and a dive that didn't sound all that appealing (based on reviews on SB and Trip Advisor). The outfit we dove with was not able to provide us with Nitrox on any of our dives. They are a reputable dive shop (Reef Adventures) but it seemed like it was hard to get Nitrox on the island. The people on the island are very nice and we found some great restaurants... Wild Mango's Elvie's Kitchen, Carabama...just to mention a few. I did all of the arrangements for the trip---airlines, room, diving, etc.

When were you diving on Ambergris Caye, because the only time in the past number of years, I had any trouble getting nitrox was a very short term compressor problem. Yes, it did impact my vacation due to the timing of my dates and the compressor problem. Perhaps you were impacted the same way. That said IMNSHO it is incorrect to leave the impression that nitrox isn't easily available on the island. Further, perhaps your problem with getting nitrox wad the outfit you chose to dive with as opposed to any genral lack of availability.

Myself, I also found Coz diving to be beautiful, however, much prefer the overall diving in Belize. How anyone could not see beauty in the fantastic finger canyons is beyond me. When was the last time you had half a dozen nurse sharks swimming all around you whilst on a dive in Coz? Yeah, that's what I figured. ;^)

I didn't say I could not see beauty in the fantastic finger canyons, I just don't think they are nearly as beautiful as the reefs in Coz. Personal preference....OK. I was in AC in July 2012. Our DM stated that there were times when it was difficult to get nitrox, so apparently we were there during that time. As far as a dozen nurse sharks swimming all around whilst I was diving in Coz....never. Two dozen reef, sand, silkies, bulls, and a couple hammerheads....OK, not Coz, but FL! Nice!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom