Suggestions where to dive and stay in belize for this coming April 2014

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scot959

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So I'm thinking of going to belize this coming April and am not sure of where and what diving outfit to go with. I was wondering if anyone had some recommendations of a dive outfit and location that had great diving and relaxing atmosphere. Any recommendations or suggestions would be most appreciated!

Can we narrow it down the geography just a bit?

I've found most folks here think "Ambergris Caye" and "Belize" are synonymous, but there's a lot more to Belize than just AC. Kind of like Honolulu and Hawaii.

Belize may be a small country but still it has a lot to offer.

On Caye Caulker, I like going out with BDS, and find a cheap place with a hammock to do SI in.

Down south in Placencia, I like going out with SPLASH and again, find a cheap place with a hammock on the beach.

BRad

We'll be going to Belize for the first time this April. We'll be staying at the Decked Out House in Placencia (were attracted by the location, availability of cooking facilities and use of kayaks and bikes). We'll be diving with Splash Dive as well as doing some land based activities (Cockscomb Basin, Mayan ruins, etc)

"Great diving, relaxing atmosphere" could mean Turneffe Island Resort. Or it could mean almost anywhere that has diving in Belize. Please tell us more. Do you want strictly diving and hanging in a hammock or do you want to be able to walk down the beach in the evening and have some drinks and listen to live music? Do you want or care about how far the boat trips are to the dive sites? What is your budget for accommodations? Do you want/need a pool? A kitchenette? Want to be in a boutique hotel or AI? etc.

I go to San Pedro on Ambergris Caye and stay in a little hotel in a studio type condo that looks out over the water and is right in front of my chosen dive ops. I find it very relaxing but some wouldn't because it is right in the busiest part of town.

This is a total hijack but at least on topic. We are thinking of Belize for May of next year. I have been through on a cruise ship once and went over to Caye Caulker and snorkeled before I was a diver. Are there any articles/books/stickies you guys recommend that can help me get a primer on Belize diving and which areas to go for what? We want to do a week long liveaboard on agressor or dancer and add on a few days of land based diving or maybe just some jungle/ruins tours. We are big coral lovers and don't want to dive too deep as we will only have about 50-75 dives at that point. It would also be nice to see whale sharks if we can time it right and figure out where to go. We probably want middle of the road accommodations and don't need a ton of night life, maybe some live music here or there would be nice and of course access to some good eats. This may be the last dive trip/big trip before baby, so we will probably be looking at about 10-14 days total. We are looking for great diving (once again we love coral and not too deep or advanced), a little adventure (jungle and ruins, etc for a day or two) and some off the beaten path relaxation time over the course of the trip which would probably combine a liveaboard with one other stop or maybe two if necessary.
Thanks and sorry again to hijack.

We have Insight Guides Belize, published in 2010. It's got a lot of information (and pictures) and you can use the web for up to date info on specific topics/places/tours.

Back
Top Bottom