Divemaster Training in Belize - advice on locations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amythompson62

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

Planning a significant career change and have decided to complete my Divemasters course whilst I am overseas anyway. Just booked flights into Belize City where I have around 4 weeks to do this - hoping to get some advice regarding operators...

A the moment I have narrowed my search down to the 5* resorts but to be honest I was wondering how much this rating REALLY reflects the quality of training? I am pretty over diving in very average conditions, so while doing the course in the most spectacular location isn't the be-all-and-end-all, it would be nice to get some sort of balance between the best training and the best diving....

Nightlife etc. isn't really an factor in where I want to be - happy being marooned on an island somewhere, just has to be in a vaguely economical location!

Any advice much appreciated!
Amy

I'd recommend taking a look at Splash Dive Center in Placencia. I took a few courses there a few years ago and found the quality of instruction to be absolutely top-notch. Patty Ramirez, the co-owner and operator, is a PADI Course Director and is probably the best trained and most knowledgeable diver I've ever met.

Placencia is an interesting mix of fishing village meets international tourism. Some nightlife but not like Ambergris Caye. Accommodations range from ultra expensive to dirt cheap. Same for the eats.

As far as a five star rating, I've always been a little suspicious of that. Why are there no four stars or three stars dive ops? I think it's probably a marketing device but there may very well be some sort of minimum standards. Whatever those might be, I'm sure Splash meets or exceeds them.

I have seen DMs in training at Island Divers in San Pedro. Rudy seems to be very thorough. I have also heard that Belize Diving Services in Caye Caulker does very good training. They are the only technical shop in the country.

Back
Top Bottom