Whale sharks 2014

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ralph Capeling

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
While we at Splash Dive Center Belize do not promote whale shark diving for March as the frequency of sightings tends to be lower, we sent a boat out yesterday to see if we could find them. They were in the area but not right at Gladden Spit. The snapper were very deep so not the right time for spawning but our crew found them with the tuna chasing the baitfish - two 15 footers and one or two 25 to 30 footers.
Regards
Ralph

---------- Post added March 17th, 2014 at 06:36 PM ----------

Two of our dive boats had whale shark encounters today. This morning one whale shark. This afternoon, one estimated by our most experienced boat captain at more than 35 feet plus a couple of smaller ones. None of the whale sharks were in the "whale shark zone" at Gladden Spit where the snapper spawn.
Regards
Ralph

Hey Ralph,

actually looking to book at trip to Placencia June 6th-14th. I know that's right around the time the whale sharks are supposed to be around but I've read that it's hit or miss in June. Really trying to plan out te trip as detailed as possible so we get the most out of the short time we're there. I'm trying to plan out the trip but since I've never been its hard to picture where everything is. I know ambergris caye is several hours north of placencia but I would like to do some diving around both areas. If anybody has any recommendations of where to go and the best ways to travel around the country (i.e. via bus or plane from belize city to placencia) I'd appreciate it.

Hi June is a good month for whale sharks but because it can be windy, at Splash Dive Center we don't promote whale shark diving in June. That said, last year, June was great and we saw a lot of whale sharks and mostly right on the surface.
This year the June full moon is on June 13 so you are planning on coming here a little too early.
Belize is the smallest country in Central America, about 170 miles in length so everything is relatively close together. The easiest way to get around is by Tropic or Maya Island flights. The lowest cost way is by water taxi and bus.
Regards
Ralph

Hey Ralph,

actually looking to book at trip to Placencia June 6th-14th. I know that's right around the time the whale sharks are supposed to be around but I've read that it's hit or miss in June. Really trying to plan out te trip as detailed as possible so we get the most out of the short time we're there. I'm trying to plan out the trip but since I've never been its hard to picture where everything is. I know ambergris caye is several hours north of placencia but I would like to do some diving around both areas. If anybody has any recommendations of where to go and the best ways to travel around the country (i.e. via bus or plane from belize city to placencia) I'd appreciate it.

Good to know. Thanks for the info. I'm kinda limited on flexibility as far as those dates go which is a bummer cause we're really pumped to see the whale sharks. :(

Hi June is a good month for whale sharks but because it can be windy, at Splash Dive Center we don't promote whale shark diving in June. That said, last year, June was great and we saw a lot of whale sharks and mostly right on the surface.
This year the June full moon is on June 13 so you are planning on coming here a little too early.
Belize is the smallest country in Central America, about 170 miles in length so everything is relatively close together. The easiest way to get around is by Tropic or Maya Island flights. The lowest cost way is by water taxi and bus.
Regards
Ralph

If you're in a hurry, and it sounds like you are, then the Maya or Tropic puddlejumpers are definitely the way to go. A plane ride from BZ to Placencia takes about 30 minutes. A bus ride would probably take the better part of a day.

But given your relatively short time frame, I would really recommend that on this trip you go to either Placencia or Ambergris Caye but not both. Save the other one for next time. There's a lot to do and see in both places, and even if you fly from one to the other you will have spent the better part of a valuable vacation day travelling.

I can't speak for AC since I haven't been there personally, but I can tell you about Placencia. It's smaller than San Pedro but still has a fair number of shops, eats and accommodations. These range from very expensive to very cheap. Ralph's dive shop, Splash Dive Center, is one of the nicest dive shops I've ever seen anywhere. His wife and co-owner, Patty Ramirez, runs the place and she can help with accommodations and suggestions on mainland activities. There's a ton to see and do right up the road, like Mayan ruins, jungle trails, boat tours on the Monkey River, etc.

San Pedro has more of everything, including tourists, but you have to make your way back to the mainland by boat or air if you want to do mainland stuff.

Of course, you can look at the travel as just another adventure. But if it were me, I'd want to spend at least a week, if not more, at either place.

You both have been super helpful. This is exactly what I needed to know. Thanks a bunch

We are going to Placencia May 18 to May 25 and hope to dive with the Whale sharks. We are hoping the timing is right.
Some dive shops require advanced certification. is this correct?
Any in would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

The timing looks pretty good per the Splash website, which lists May 14th through the 23rd in their whale shark package for May.

You go pretty deep on these dives, down to 80 feet if the conditions are right if memory serves. I don't know what Splash requires, but I do know they teach both AOW and Deep Diving. The only reason to take AOW in this context is that a deep dive is included. You could do the bookwork before you go and be ready to do the dives when you arrive, saving some time and $$.

The biggest thing about hunting for Whale Sharks, besides finding them of course, is that these are "blue water" dives. You can't see the bottom and the boat isn't anchored, so you must pay extra careful attention to your depth at all times. With no bottom and no rope, your computer is your only reference. Good buoyancy control is a must.

We are going to Placencia May 18 to May 25 and hope to dive with the Whale sharks. We are hoping the timing is right.
Some dive shops require advanced certification. is this correct?
Any in would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

You should be OK. Whale shark dates for 2014 are:

• April 15th to April 24th
  • May 14th to May 23rd
  • June 13th to June 22nd

At Splash we prefer Advanced Open Water but we will consider Open Water divers with lots of experience. If you don't qualify, you can always snorkel with the whale sharks.
Regards
Ralph

No whale shark sightings on Tuesday May 15th although the snapper were there and they were spawning. In addition to tons of snapper, one reef shark and some dolphins spotted. The whale sharks are around as two were spotted on surface near Silk Cayes two days ago!

---------- Post added April 17th, 2014 at 07:15 AM ----------

No whale shark sightings on Wednesday May 16th. Lots of snapper, one white tip reef shark and a bull shark spotted. Another trip had a group dolphin encounter - group of a dozen or more swam right through the group of divers.

---------- Post added April 17th, 2014 at 03:42 PM ----------

YES, YES, YES!!!
Three whale sharks sighted today. Estimated at about 25 feet long. Lots of mutton and cubera snapper getting ready to spawn to we can expect more sightings over the next week or so.
Also saw a white tip reef shark.
Regards
Ralph

---------- Post added April 17th, 2014 at 06:15 PM ----------

WOW, EVEN BETTER

Our last two boats that had later time slots came back excited about seeing three whale sharks including a 40 footer! The 40 foot estimate is from a very experienced instructor/DM so this is not a fish story! They didn't get up close like they often do, staying down at about 80 feet. Lots of reef sharks came to visit the divers from these two boats. Lots of very happy divers!!!!!
Regards
Ralph

Back
Top Bottom