Blackbird Resort 4.2014 Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SandyUT

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We were at Blackbird resort the first week for April for 7 days. We went with the 6 days of diving included and Nitrox was also included at no charge. Some guests ala carted their diving and nitrox. I read tons of reviews and researched heavily before choosing Blackbird and have no regrets at all.

They pick you up at the airport and take you to the Radisson where all the resorts and live boards fetch their guests. We had time for a snack and a couple brews while waiting for the boat. It’s a nice place to rest in between. The van was not immediately waiting for us as he was driving back and forth throughout the day. The people at the airport knew Mr. Moreno and assured us he was just there and would return. Which all occurred as planned.
Big Bird picked us all up and with all our gear and there were complimentary brews on the hour plus boat ride. We all chatted and started to get to know our friends for the week. I love free beer so this was a nice addition. Once we arrived we all met up in the bar for a welcome rum punch (love that as well) and briefing. While this was going on our bags were taken to our bungalows. After the review of schedule and such the bungalow numbers were given out and one by one we departed for them.

Our bungalow was spacious and the AC worked so well we had to turn the temp up as it was chilly. Couple couches, closet area, screened porch with 2 chairs and a hammock. Very nice. Water was drinkable from the faucet, shower was hot, ceiling fan went from low to lift off. Water pressure was on the lower side – but they make their own fresh water and we didn’t care about it at all.

Meals; Breakfast and lunch were buffet style and we say family style so we got to meet everyone and talk it up at all meals. Both breakfast and lunch were delicious with meat, salads, fruits, hot and cold items. Dinner was meat or fish. Both were outstanding. The portions were just right. Deserts were all good. After dinner Michael (manager) gave a briefing about the weather forecast and next day’s plan.

Bar; nice view and snacks at 5 including lion fish fingers – very yummy.

Diving; The crew was top notch! Cardinal, Ken and Max were out DM’s, Leo was our captain on and off. The DMs were fun knowledgeable and safe. They were good genuine people and we enjoyed getting to know about them and their families. We enjoyed beers with them our last night and that was a treat. They handled all our tanks and equip for the week. I was delighted that we didn’t need to surface when the first person ran out of air. We don’t used air very fast and feel cheated when this is the norm. we were on schedule but it was not a militant schedule. Belize time but not late. Perfect for the relaxed vacation attitude. I have only good things to say about the dive operation. We did not do the blue hole as we had done it previously, we were able to do three “local” dives that were great. Lot of the usual critters, many turtles and eagle rays, large green morays, one curious dolphin, toad fish, and a new one for us – bat fish.
IMG_0784.jpgIMG_0481.jpgIMG_0499.jpgIMG_0501.jpgIMG_0547.jpgPICT0017.jpgPICT0295.jpgPICT0029.jpg
Check out was Friday and it was easy. Bar tab was lower than anticipated and that was a nice was to leave. Tips could be charged and I loved that! Saturday morning departure was very timely and we had a smooth ride back to the Radisson on Big Bird. The van was waiting and we were quickly whisked back to the airport.

Thanks so much for taking the time to report this. Can you say more about the diving? How long to the sites, what kind of underwater geography, health and variety of reefs, highlights...?

Additional diving info as requested. The dive sites were all within about 5 minutes boat ride except the elbow which was about 20-30 minutes out. We returned to the dock between all dives except the elbow. This was very nice and convenient. The diving and reef health was much better than Ambergris; more fish, less algae. The walls were excellent and the shallows were pretty good but more variable in “quality”. This is so subjective it’s hard to be specific. Smaller fish were a little “light” in the shallower areas but still more than Ambergris. Shrimps and crabs were in the average quantity. Lion fish were present and actively hunted by the DM most of the time. Sadly we saw some of the biggest lion fish I have come across on this trip : ( - I have to assume this negatively affected the fish quantity all over. We saw more turtles (both Loggerheads and Hawksbills) and eagle rays in a week than most recent trips. The Elbow was very healthy and awesome. Schools of snappers, eagle rays, huge gorgonias, huge barrel sponges (these were on all dives), tiny jelly fish (like in the pic). A couple of the shallow dives were very fun, long and awesome. Coral Canyons and coral gardens. The trigger fish and barracuda follow us everywhere – looking for lion fish handouts I assumed. Many large green eels in holes and free swimming with a few spotted morays as well. A few stand out sightings; a dolphin swam up and hung out just long enough to get photographic proof. He could be heard for the next 45 minutes but not seen. Saw a bat fish – pretty ugly little guy but a first sighting none the less. And a few toad fish were willing to come out and show off enough for a good pic or two.
Water was 80-82 degrees. Visibility varied due to weather of the day. Some days were fairly windy and that stirred it up a little. The DMs tried to get us to the clearest of the sites each day often looking at several before choosing the clearest one to dive.

Reactions: FT
Sandy, great report. Many thanks.

I thought Blackbird flew its guests from the mainland to the island and back. Don't they have their own runway?

I've seen Blackbird a couple of times, always on the way to the Blue Hole and never close enough to make out more than just a few buildings so it was nice to see some actual topside photos.

The boat ride was included the flight was an additional couple hundred I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see. Good to know.

One other thing: was Paul German working there? I heard he might be managing the place. Great guy.

Boat ride is included if you arrive/leave on Wednesday or Saturday when they take Big Bird to the mainland for supplies.

I have so many fond memories of my stay on Blackbird. I loved it!

Paul is no longer managing the resort, he left at the end of the season last year.

Us too!!! We had sooo much fun.

Michael is the manager now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great information: how many dives per day, any night dives? Any time limit on a dive?

Thanks.

---------- Post added April 22nd, 2014 at 10:54 PM ----------

Any shore / dock diving?

3 a day all week, Friday was flight dependent - we did 2. we skipped the blue hole and did three that day with a very small group. There were night dives, but we liked happy hour more. The time limit was exceptional...the DM we were with all week let us stay down till we ran out of air or roughly 60 minutes. Few divers made it this long but we did every dive and loved the time with Max. It was always me, my wife and Max at the 60 minute mark. everyone else just surfaced ax they ran out in pairs. I think we got lucky with Max. He was a very cool genuine person. No shore /dock diving was available.

Hope that helps!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom