Recommendations for Ambergris Caye?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maes376

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I will be staying at X'tan Ha in AC for 10 days. Looking for recommendations for a quality dive operation with small groups. We also would like to do some fly fishing if anyone has any recommendations for fly fishing guides as well. Thanks!

John

I was in AC for 10 days. Dove with Ramons Dive Center the entire time. After my first day of diving, I was so impressed that I figured anybody else will be second best. They might be a few dollars more, but you really get what you pay for. The dive masters are a very impressive bunch, and are very professional. Yes, they will joke around with you, but they take their jobs and diving very seriously.

As for fly fishing, their is a young dive master that works for Ramons. He grew up on the island, and he knows everyone. One day on our way back from a snorkel at Mexico Rocks, he pointed out a small well equipted fishing boat that past up going the opposite direction. He said that guy was the best fly guild on the island. The DM name was Belious I think, but he is the only DM that had a dive flag tattooed to his left rib-cage, that says Belize in the white that looks like he wrote himself while he was drunk...

Dive with Ramons Dive Center... They are Awesome!
6usahe5a.jpg

Last edited:
I also recommend Amigos del Mar over Ramon's. That said, X-tan Ha is up island and both Amigos and Ramon's are in San Pedro town. Ask X-tan Ha who they recommend. Perhaps White Sands is located well to serve you.

Awesome, thx guys! Will follow up...

---------- Post added July 29th, 2014 at 08:29 PM ----------

Thank you, sounds perfect. This isn't a cattle boat operation is it?

---------- Post added July 29th, 2014 at 10:31 PM ----------

I just heard Amigos del mar was not in good standing with PADI any longer.. Any insight on this?

(crickets)

I continue to recommend Amigos del Mar despite that thread. A very sorry incident to be sure but the bad guy will see his day in court and the instructor who should have been overseeing the bad guy has been dismembered.

I've been diving regularly with Amigos since i was a newbie. I've dived with other shops but return to Amigos. Perfection every single day is hard to find anywhere in every business anywhere. The majority of the commenters found on the thread Downing has pointed you to, have never dived with Amigos and aren't familiar with the operation or staff.

I recommend two other smaller operations as well, Island Divers and Chuck and Robbie's. I don't recommend Ramon's. Ramon's is as professional as the next one but i have my reasons.

As to my loyalty to Amigos, it is because I prefer their service. I've no vested interest and a paying customer just like the next guy.

The recommendations/rules draft Downing was looking for has been released. May I request that anyone posting them on Scubaboard do so in a brand new thread.

The recommendations/rules draft Downing was looking for has been released. May I request that anyone posting them on Scubaboard do so in a brand new thread.

What? Where? I've just waded through I don't know how many Blue Hole promotion websites looking for the draft. Can anyone help?

I am also booked into X'Tan Ha for 10 days in Feb 2015. (Can't believe we're booked this far in advance).
However, after booking I noticed a review on the expedia site that suggested that dive ops would not pick us up on the resort dock (despite it being en route to the main reefs?).

Can anyone clarify this situation? Do any / many of the dive ops catering to Ambergris Caye stop at the more northern resorts above San Pedro- specifically X'Tan Ha?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom