Draft code of practice for Belize.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cbright

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

The Belize Bureau of Standards has just issued a draft code of practice for Recreational Scuba Diving Services. The standards should make diving in Belize a lot safer for everyone, so it would be great if some of the knowledge people on this forum could review them, and send feedback to the Bureau of Standards.

This is the press release from the Belize Bureau of Standards facebook page:

Notice is hereby given under Section 4(1) of the Standards (Preparation and Declaration) Regulations, 1997 that the Belize Bureau of Standards proposes to recommend to the Standards Advisory Council that the following draft code of practice be declared a compulsory Belize Standard.

The Belize Draft Code of Practice for Recreational Scuba Diving Services is intended to provide the minimum requirements for conducting guided recreational scuba diving operations in ecosystems such as coral reefs, sea grass beds and related coastal environments of Belize, only.

Copies or details of this standard are available from the office of the Belize Bureau of Standards located at 3rd Floor, Diamonds Building, Constitution Drive, P.O. Box 430, Belmopan or on the website at Downloads - Press Releases

Any comments on the draft code of practice should reach the Director, Belize Bureau of Standards at the below-mentioned address no later than October 15th, 2014 or at bbs@btl.net.

The draft codes of practice can be found here: Downloads - Press Releases - Draft Code of Practice for Recreational Scuba Diving Services

Last edited:
5.4 Scuba diving equipment:
a) Diving equipment shall consist, but is not limited to the below items:
i. wet or dry suit when and if appropriate
ii. mask
iii. snorkel
iv. fins
v. regulator
vi. alternative breathing gas system
vii. cylinder and cylinder-support system
viii. buoyancy compensator
ix. weights
x. means to measure time and depth limit exposure to inert gas
xi. submersible pressure gauge
xii. safety tube (sausage)
xiii. dive computer

So you're required to have a snorkel. You must dive a computer - tables and a bottom timer are not computers...
And what about those who dive gear that is balanced without adding weight?

Interesting.

Having just skimmed through it, I would say the draft appears to be a very good effort to bring some standards to the industry.

No reference to an SOP specific to the Blue Hole, which is why this whole thing started. That's a little disappointing.

I see at least two people from the scuba industry on the Sub-Committee which presumably wrote this draft: John Searle, co-owner of Sea Sports in Belize City and Patty Ramirez Capeling, co-owner of Splash Dive Center in Placencia. Starting this Saturday I'll be in Placencia for a couple of weeks diving with Splash, so I look forward to talking to her about this.

Edit: Just found a reference to the Blue Hole on page 10: divers should have an AOW certification or eqivalent. This should be good news for the dive shops and divers alike. More classes means more revenue for the shops and more divers with more training.

Last edited:
Do they put a limit on allowable depth. In Grand Cayman they (anally) limit everyone to 100 feet. Go to 105' and your diving is done. Do they have a required psi that you must have when you return. Again (anally), GC forces you to return with a minimum of 500 psi - even if you carry a rather large pony (27 cf) that is completely full. Come back with 499 psi and you don't do the next dive. Oh yes, what about diving solo with the SDI Solo Diver cert? Allowed? Not on GC. I actually had dive shops tell me that I would be seen and reported and blacklisted if I tried to dive solo and I'd never be able to rent another tank nor dive on GC ever again. Folks, this is the beginning of the scuba police. Thank goodness for Bonaire.

Wow, that's a bomb dropped right there on Belize, if this has any teeth it will change the entire Belize dive industry for the good and I'm sure cause a lot of issues in the short term.

Guided Scuba Diving tours to the “Blue Hole” shall be limited to divers that possess an “Advanced Open Water Certification” or equivalent, which allows scuba diving to a depth 100 ft or 30 meters.

That's anybody getting in the water with scuba gear on at the blue hole having to be AOW no matter even if they want to dive shallower.

Guided Scuba Diving tours to the “Blue Hole” shall be limited to divers that possess an “Advanced Open Water Certification” or equivalent, which allows scuba diving to a depth 100 ft or 30 meters.

The rec limit is 130 ft. Where is this 100 ft crap coming from? And, someone that doesn't chase cards but has 200+ deep water dives in cold low vis water would not be qualified to dive the blue hole? Bushwah. He'd probably school any and all of the Belize divemasters.

The rec limit is 130 ftAnd, someone that doesn't chase cards but has 200+ deep water dives in cold low vis water would not be qualified to dive the blue hole?

I think that's covered in the "or equivalent" language.

The rec limit is 130 ft. Where is this 100 ft crap coming from? And, someone that doesn't chase cards but has 200+ deep water dives in cold low vis water would not be qualified to dive the blue hole? Bushwah. He'd probably school any and all of the Belize divemasters.

True, the recreational limit is 130 feet. However, the AOW limit (without the Deep Diver Specialty) is 100 feet. That's where the figure comes from. And yes, I am pretty sure everybody here is very well aware that these are only recommendations.

Copied from post #3....."AOW certification or equivalent"...what does equivalent mean???.......

Back
Top Bottom