Belize for solo traveller

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Airdank

Registered
Reaction score
Have been thinking of going to Belize for awhile and finally got around to making room for it. I am hoping for some recommendations on whats the best plan of attack for this trip. I'll have 7/8 nights and can't decide where to go between AC, Caye Caulker or Placencia. My initial thought is that I could stay 4/5 night at Caye Caulker to start off the trip nice and relaxing and just get some good dives in. After could jump over to AC for last 2/3 nights so as to add a different, more up pace scene but still get in another day or two of diving. Is it pointless to stay both places when the diving is no different. Or is it worth the change in scenery. I like the though of going to Caye if it really is a different pace than AC.

The other plan would be to head down to placencia and just stay down there for the whole week. I would really like to dive Turneffe/ Glover atoll and from what I'm reading its easier from there?

Also I am wondering if it's realistic to go inland for the ATM tour just for the day from AC? Or do I need to plan that around arriving and leaving?

Basically I'm just wanting to know where is the best place to spend my time if I want just a week of diving and beaching, with 1 day of inland mixed in? I'm not looking for any particular price range. Being solo though, i can be happy not going all out, but also would like to feel like I'm on vacation for a week!

Thanks in advance!

You are going to feel like you've been on vacation wherever you choose of the three. If you go to Caye Caulker first, you may find yourself disinclined to do anything else . . . Ever. :D

If you want to dive Glovers then you must go to Placencia. Dive with Splash Divers, you'll be treated well, meet lots of other divers and Placencia is very cool with fabulous beach.

You must MUST go to ATM cave. My recommendation for you is to head inland right off the plane to San Ignacio. Do ATM the next day. Then head back to the coast.

Placencia if Glovers is on your must list.

A boat goes almost every day to Turneffe from San Pedro but Glovers is too far away. Whereas Splash has trips to Glovers (not sure of the schedule) but rarely Turneffe. It is my understanding that from time to time Splash does an overnight trip that takes in the Atolls and Glovers on the way back to Placencia.

When are you planning to go?

Thanks Chilly. Im going in 2 weeks, so not a lot of time left to plan!

I wouldn't say Glover is a must for me, I'll be doing good diving whereever I go so most important is that I enjoy where I'm staying. I'm a little worried I'll get bored of the placencia scene quickly. I don't need a vibrant party life at night, but want to be able to explore (bars/restaurants/streets etc,) a bit while I'm above sea level.

Is it a stupid idea to do the ATM tour as a 'day-off' of diving from the Caye's?

---------- Post added September 23rd, 2014 at 04:32 PM ----------

*Update*

I'm leaning towards going to Caye Caulker and diving w/ Frenchies. Anyone have experience with them. Clearly they seem to be one of the bigger diveshops on the island, that can be good and bad.

More importantly I'm looking for a place to stay that would be close to Frenchies, or is everything close to Frenchies? The hotels that Frenchies is affiliated with seem on the budget end. I am okay with that, but also might prefer one step up. I don't need luxury as I'll be alone, but do want some form of being spoiled for the week. Any ideas for where to stay?

Finally, going back to my OP, would it be worth it so spend 5 nights on Caye Caulker and then move on to AC for the next 3 nights just for a change of pace?

I think it's worth spending time on both islands to experience the difference in pace, food options, and so forth. Both islands dive many of the same dive sites because the islands are so close to each other. You may or may not want to dive in AC if you've done lots of diving on CC. In terms of accommodations, it all comes down to how much you want to spend. AC has everything from dirt cheap to posh. Check out ambergriscaye.com for more information on hotels and so forth.

Please post a trip report when you return! Have a great time!

On CC, I like the Rainbow, the Seaside and the Island Magic. Island Magic is a bit out of the way in the overall scheme of things but need to keep it in perspective.

On AC I like Mayan Princess. It's right infront of my dive op, in the middle of town.

On CC, I like the Rainbow, the Seaside and the Island Magic. Island Magic is a bit out of the way in the overall scheme of things but need to keep it in perspective.

On AC I like Mayan Princess. It's right infront of my dive op, in the middle of town.

What is your dive op? If it works out I'd love to repay the favor for the good info and do a few dives there.

Sorry. I meant the dive op that I do the majority of my Belize dives with, has it's op dock out front of the Mayan Princess (not that it is actually MY op). But thanks for your consideration. :)

Got it. Been on Caye Caulker the past few days just got to San Pedro and checked in. I'll post up my thoughts in a few days when trip is complete. Really enjoyed C.C!

Airdank, if you have the time rent a golf cart one afternoon on a nice day and go up to the Palapa Bar for an hour or two.

And I'm assuming you are staying right in town. Please don't judge the whole island based on that. There are some very beautiful areas both to the north and the south of San Pedro Town central.

Back
Top Bottom