Diving Turneffe Atoll vs local Ambergris Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi Everyone!
I am headed to Ambergris Caye (first trip to Belize) for a short dive trip in December and am hoping that weather permitting, I can squeeze in 3 days of diving. I noticed some of the dive shops offer a longer, 3 tank day trip out to Turneffe Atoll and am considering doing this one of the days and then doing local 2 tanks the other two. I am wondering if anyone has experience diving both locations and what you think about them? The trips to Turneffe are long, include an extra tank but are considerably more expensive. I don't mind paying the money if it's worth it but, if it's basically the same then I would just assume stay local.

I've been diving for 14 years and have experience in a variety of conditions (though my favorite is easy, warm and clear:)) but this is my boyfriend's first dive trip since being certified in a freezing New England quarry and I really want him to see why it was worth going through that!

Thanks for any help you can give!

I have no insight to offer but am similarly interested in responses to this question. We've been eyeballing Turneffe resorts for 2015.

The Elbow is the 2nd most famous dive in Belize, and definitely the real deal compared to their number 1 dive site. I've only dived at Turneffe, but from what I understand the diving blows around AC. It's a long boat ride, don't know if I'd do it, we stayed at Turneffe so our boat rides were 5 - 10 minutes. The diving at Turneffe while not super fishy, made up for it in the bigger life, green morays, few turtles, few reef sharks etc... super easy diving, shallow, no current, decent viz.

Ambergris Caye's local diving is highly underrated. Today we had 100 foot plus vis. and saw everything but a whale shark.
There are about 30 sites 10 to 20 min. from the dive shop. Turneffe Elbow is a long day on a boat. Turneffe North is closer and you might be happier with the North end of the Atoll if given a choice of the two Turneffe Trips...However Local diving is something you should try first. By the way the operators raised their prices on Turneffe Novenber 15th and the Elbow now costs 235.usd

Earlier this year, I weighed out the price difference between staying at Turneffe or diving it a time or two out of san pedro and even at the expense of the day trips from San Pedro (which i mostly enjoy anyway), I was still way ahead to stay on San Pedro. For those that prefer to be cooped up at an isolated dive resort, YMMV.

I love the local diving off San Pedro. While I could get sick of Esmeralda, I have logged about 125 local dives off San Pedro and there is always something new to see. The local diving is great, but the vacation lifestyle cannot be beat. Blast through an awaken town on a golf cart. Show up at the shop around 830 to check in. Walk over to Celi's Deli for meat pies or burritos for breakfast. 10 minute boat ride to the site. Jump off into 60ft bath tub warm water with 125ft viz. Put my gear on on the way to the bottom. 45-55 minutes of Zen with about 3-6 other divers. 10 minute boat ride back to the dock. Coke with ice or a smoothy on the beach during the 60 minutes break. Back at the boat by 11:15. !0 minutes to the next site. Another 45-55 minutes of Zen at a second site. !0 minutes back to the shop. Quick rinse on the dock under the freshwater shower. Lunch at Estel's. Nap. Go out to dinner. Rinse repeat for as many days as you like.

Earlier this year, I weighed out the price difference between staying at Turneffe or diving it a time or two out of san pedro and even at the expense of the day trips from San Pedro (which i mostly enjoy anyway), I was still way ahead to stay on San Pedro. For those that prefer to be cooped up at an isolated dive resort, YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom