Ambergris in late Dec - "typical" water temps and conditions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Water will be around 81 near the surface, could drop to as much as 78 at depth. Weather may be fabulous or it may be rainy, windy and cool for the locale.

I always get by with my 3mm but can be found wearing a chillguard underneath and a hood.. What is most important is a hoodie windbreaker with chammyz or fleece warmth for once you are back on the boat.

I publish a daily weather report for the island on facebook and live here.
You'll be cold in the boat ride back from the site but the water is about 80 f.
Ambergris Cayes water temperature for divers | Weather | Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board

---------- Post added November 7th, 2014 at 02:50 PM ----------

Ambergris Cayes water temperature for divers
Today’s water temperature is 82F. or 27.7 Degrees Celsius
Celsius to Fahrenheit
Step 1. Multiply the Celsius temperature by 1.8.
Step 2. Add 32. An example:
• 30ºC = (30 x 1.8) + 32 = 86ºF
Fahrenheit to Celsius
Step 1. Subtract 32 from the Fahrenheit temperature.
Step 2. Divide by 1.8. An example:
• 74ºF = (74 - 32) / 1.8 = 23ºC

The dry season runs from March through May. The most predictably good weather for diving is from April through June, when the winds are normally light. Hurricanes hit Belize an average of once every six years. During winter months (mainly December, January, and February), Belize is also subject to northerners that blow down and disrupt diving for several days. Water temperature may dip as low as the 70s in the winter and reach as high as 85° in the summer.

I must be tough. I very very rarely wear a 3mm shortie. Most of the time, I wear a rash guard. I usually diver in March and August though.

There's no arguing comfort. I've been on dives with my 2mm shorty while someone else was wearing a 5mm full suit and a hood, and we were both quite comfortable.

Years ago in Hawaii, I did a night dive off a boat in my shorty with two other divers from Arizona, a newly married couple. On the way back in, I was thinking "ahhh, what a nice, warm Hawaiian night" then noticed the two Arizonans were shivering so hard their teeth were clattering. I took off my shorty and gave it to the wife to drape over her and cut down on the wind.

She was very grateful.

My friend who occasionally joins me here in Belize is too cold in a shorty. It's truly an individual thing but coolness or coldness whilst diving is also cumulative. The more dives over the number of days put in will generally make anyone more cold. The DM's here vary too. One of them wears afullsuut and a hood on every dive whilst a couple of others wear rash guards and board shorts. The rest wear either a shorty or a f ullsuit. One wears a skin. I've no idea how they can tolerate it day after day especially with getting chilled in the wind from the boat rides in between.

---------- Post added November 11th, 2014 at 02:19 AM ----------

Erring on the side of being warmer just seems prudent to me. After all you can always flush water through your suit to cool yourself but if you are cold, there's nothing to be done and puts a damper on the overall enjoyment.

It's a personal choice my friends. We're professionals and all know fat insulates and slim divers get cold quick.
If your slender you'll probably feel better in a long 3 mil and hood. Gloves are illegal in a lot of our sites. Even a minimal
light hood does wonders for maintaining body heat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom