Whale sharks 2015

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ralph Capeling

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Belize is one of the few places in the world where you can dive with whale sharks on a reasonably predictable basis. The whale sharks come for the snapper spawning aggregation at the time of the full moon in March, April, May and June with success rates being much higher in April and May.

In order to ensure sustainability, the guides (dive masters) and boat captains require special training and licences, the number of divers or snorkelers per boat is limited to 12 and the number of boats allowed in the whale shark zone at one time is restricted. Predictably, spaces on boats for the April and May whale shark moons are booked up well in advance. Splash Dive Center in Placencia is already fully booked for April and May is filling up fast.

This year, Splash has added a live aboard option for the May whale shark moon. You cannot dive the Gladden Spit whale shark zone from a live aboard so Splash is planning to use the Aggressor III as a floating hotel near the whale shark zone and to pick up the divers each day for the dives. Guests on the Aggressor III will dive 5 dives a day for 3 days at Lighthouse and then one barrier reef dive and two whale shark dives for 3 days at Gladden Spit. Anyone who is interested can contact Patty at patricia@splashbelize.com or check it out at Belize Scuba Diving Packages, Snorkeling & Whale sharks|Splash Dive Center|Placencia Belize LIVE ABOARD WHALE SHARK DIVING MAY 2015 - Belize Scuba Diving Packages, Snorkeling & Whale sharks|Splash Dive Center|Placencia Belize

Regards
Ralph

Now that's interesting. So Splash would send a boat out to pick up divers from the "floating hotel"? Great idea! I take it the other dives would include the Blue Hole, the Aquarium, the Elbow, and Glovers Reef. Pretty much of a Belize bucket list all in one trip.

I'm very stoked about this trip!! The only reason I'm not already signed up is due to a conflict with another trip to which I've already committed.

This is such a sweet idea!! The best of Belize dive sites AND whale shark dives with the ease of being picked up from the comfort of a liveaboard? Awesome.

Last May I saw whale sharks on every single dive I did for the purpose. One swam right to me and i had to get out of its way. Thrilling!

Dives out at Lighthouse are my favorite in Belize but then, I haven't made it yet to Glovers, which I hear is great too!!

Did you know that you can adopt a whale shark? One of my Christmas presents to Patty was a whale shark. You can go to Wildbook for Whale Sharks Photo-identification Library to support this organization.
Regards
Ralph

[h=1]Introducing Wildbook for Whale Sharks[/h]The Wildbook for Whale Sharks photo-identification library is a visual database of whale shark (Rhincodon typus) encounters and of individually catalogued whale sharks. The library is maintained and used by marine biologists to collect and analyze whale shark sighting data to learn more about these amazing creatures.
The Wildbook uses photographs of the skin patterning behind the gills of each shark, and any scars, to distinguish between individual animals. Cutting-edge software supports rapid identification using pattern recognition and photo management tools.
You too can assist with whale shark research, by submitting photos and sighting data. The information you submit will be used in mark-recapture studies to help with the global conservation of this threatened species.
lilshark2.gif
53000+ photos collected
lilshark2.gif
25000+ sighting reports

lilshark2.gif
5200+ whale sharks collaboratively tagged

lilshark2.gif
4000+ data contributors

lilshark2.gif
365 research days/year

What would you suggest if I wanted to come down for only a few days rather than an entire week (since I'll be traveling to other countries during the same trip too)? What is the most cost effective (budget) place in Placencia I could stay and still have access to 1-2 days of whale shark diving with Splash in May?

What would you suggest if I wanted to come down for only a few days rather than an entire week (since I'll be traveling to other countries during the same trip too)? What is the most cost effective (budget) place in Placencia I could stay and still have access to 1-2 days of whale shark diving with Splash in May?

Hi Cleung
Regarding places to stay, if you look at the packages on our website, you will see there is a price range. The lower price ones are good quality, clean, safe, have air conditioning and are on the beach - while the star system is not used in Belize, you could consider these to be 3 star. There are lower price accommodations that are very good but do not meet all of the criteria that we have for accommodation.
Regarding whale shark diving with Splash in May, as this is peak peak high season for us, we only take guests who sign up for one of our packages.

Hi Cleung
Regarding places to stay, if you look at the packages on our website, you will see there is a price range. The lower price ones are good quality, clean, safe, have air conditioning and are on the beach - while the star system is not used in Belize, you could consider these to be 3 star. There are lower price accommodations that are very good but do not meet all of the criteria that we have for accommodation.
Regarding whale shark diving with Splash in May, as this is peak peak high season for us, we only take guests who sign up for one of our packages.

Is it possible to put together and quote for a shorter duration package then? Like 4-5 nights at Sea Spray, 2 days whale shark diving, 1 day reef dive, no land tour - for one person?

Hi Clint! Patti, co-owner at Splash Divers, can answer all that and specifically for YOU. While Ralph posts here and is the other co-owner Patti does the booking. Ralph is great (hi Ralph! ) but Patti is the one to specifically help you in your specific quest.

---------- Post added January 7th, 2015 at 11:11 AM ----------

For the form click ths link:

Belize Scuba Diving Packages, Snorkeling & Whale sharks|Splash Dive Center|Placencia Belize Contact Us - Belize Scuba Diving Packages, Snorkeling & Whale sharks|Splash Dive Center|Placencia Belize

Or email directly to: Splashbelize@yahoo.com

Chilly,
Is there an issue as to how long you could freedive with Whalesharks ( shooting video, etc) in the March season? This is something I am planning for this year, but would like to find a large concentration of whalesharks without a huge group of divers that are competing to be allowed in the water....How does this work?

Dan, you'd be restricted to whst your boat is restricted to. Only a certain number of boats/divers are allowed on site at anyone time. The free divers i saw were having a blast but had been put in the water with the snorkelers. I make the same recommendation to you. Contact Patti at Splash. That said, Ralph will probably answer your question here as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom