Belize--Fatality--Procedures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bilboinsa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I want to thank everyone for their input. I mistakenly read Saltydawg's comments and others, and thought Parkey was involved. I also googled the story numerous times for some good hard ID info. I apologize for that mistake. I do think Parkey is a great operation, and that is why I was concerned if I would get placed with someone else. Thanks again. p.s. I tried to delete this entire post, but I do not see a delete key for an OP.

Last edited:
If you're asking if there's been a diving fatality lately in Belize, I really doubt it. That would be huge news, and this board would be all abuzz about it, especially if it happened at the Blue Hole (shudder).

My guess is that they aren't getting your emails. That's an issue with a lot of dive shops in Belize, and I know it drives them crazy. Have you considered calling them? It wasn't that long ago that a phone call to Belize was like something out of a movie. Really bad connections, echoes, long pauses, etc. It helped to treat it like a two-way radio call and say "Over" when you were done talking. But now it's like calling someone down the street--except for the cost, which is high but not prohibitively so.

Hugh Parkey's been around a long time. And I think they've been doing the cruise ship thing for a long time, too, but I'm not sure about that. In any case, they're almost certainly not going anywhere anytime soon. Their number's 501-220-4024 per the website.

Have a good trip! I'm sure it will all work out just fine.

I am set for a diving excursion with Hugh Parkey from a cruise ship next week. Following up on the Gary McNabb tragedy, does anyone know the standard operating procedure (if there is one) following a fatality with a dive op in Belize? Are they shut down for a while for an investigation? I have sent two e-mails to Hugh Parkey from their website that have gone unanswered. I have called and spoken with our cruise line who says they have heard nothing that would indicate a change in the excursion (this gives me little comfort). My concern is that the cruise line might select another dive op that I have not researched, or that other parameters are changed (dive sites, etc...) Thank you for your input.

Hugh Parkey runs pretty much the most well managed, safest dive op I've ever seen, for handling a bunch of divers with varying skill levels.

The only way to die on their excursion with one of the ship dives, is if you have a heart attack or do something immensely stupid.

Even if someone did die, I wouldn't give it a second thought.

It's likely to be the safest experience you've ever had in the water, that wasn't in a pool or bathtub.

flots.

I am set for a diving excursion with Hugh Parkey from a cruise ship next week. Following up on the Gary McNabb tragedy, does anyone know the standard operating procedure (if there is one) following a fatality with a dive op in Belize? Are they shut down for a while for an investigation? I have sent two e-mails to Hugh Parkey from their website that have gone unanswered. I have called and spoken with our cruise line who says they have heard nothing that would indicate a change in the excursion (this gives me little comfort). My concern is that the cruise line might select another dive op that I have not researched, or that other parameters are changed (dive sites, etc...) Thank you for your input.

The terrible accident that killed Gary McNabb was not with Hugh Parkey. Saltyhawg said that he heard about it while he was diving with Hugh Parkey but that the injured diver was diving with Ramon's Village Divers, see the link below:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/accidents-and-incidents/501563-accident-belize-2.html#post7349138

Generally for a generic international call it is much cheaper to use Skype. Even from places like Canada I will Skype the US rather than my cell phone. Not sure if it will work well with Belize but if the regular phone lines do, then Skype should since it may leave you on the internet but it often eventually goes onto land lines.

If you're asking if there's been a diving fatality lately in Belize, I really doubt it. That would be huge news, and this board would be all abuzz about it, especially if it happened at the Blue Hole (shudder)...

He died in the US after being flown from Belize City to San Antonio, but the accident occurred while diving Turneffe Atoll.

Last edited:
Thank you for correcting me. I have edited the original post. If a Mod could delete the whole post, I would be fine with that. Thanks again and my apologies.

Report your own post if you want a mod to do anything with it. Little triangle in the lower left of each post.

Oops. I forgot about that one.

Regarding international calls, for whatever reason we use Viber instead of Skype to talk with our daughter in Japan once a week. Works well as long as the internet connection is good. The price is certainly right.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom