BELIZE NEWB... Few concerns.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ls1matt

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello All!
So it is amazing on how much info regarding Belize is out there. I have spent several weeks researching possible honeymoon locations and think I (we?) have decided on Belize. Reaching out for help, advice, and general knowledge.

Little bit of personal info:
ME: PADI 10yrs+ OW cert (<100 dives), with spearfishing experience in GOM, comfortable in water
Fiance: will be getting her OW cert shortly and not so comfortable in water (IMO), but she wants to do it

Looking for:
Honeymoon trip gear towards diving and relaxing. Like to have fun but not big on crowded party type scene, but dont like total seclusion either

Concerns: Locations to dive
Dives we can both enjoy as I will be "watching" her more than the scenic views, as this will be her first real OW, besides the lake. Looking for shallower fun dives and maybe a wall dive. Think we are going to avoid the Blue Hole as I dont feel comfortable for her.

Any recommendations on where or where not to stay?

General DO's and DONT'S?

Local shops / guides you have had good luck with?

Thanks for any help!

(you post made me stop & reminisce-------which is very good, btw..:))---------Stop & think about it(things) this way, myself/wife/& 13 YO daughter were certified in very late August of 1985--so----in Nov/Dec of 1985 when started planning our 1st 'overseas'--(out of the US) dive trip & some man @ some 1-800 travel place(---not really an agency I would think---just found their name somewhere in the back of Skin Diver magazine I believe) finally said he could get us in @ a place called Ambergris Caye, Belize(we were wanting to go somewhere the week between Christmas & NYs--& A LOT places were already booked up!!!)--wife & I were very happy--------but------we then looked @ each other & said "Where's Belize"......We got down an encyclopedia & found it!!......BTW, remember the guy telling my wife---& she later telling me later--(after it taking many tries on his end to find somewhere) "I'm gunna send ya'll to Paradise(the name of the resort---long gone I do believe--was Paradise Resort)....................Very long story short-----we got no more info on the place & each having no more than 25 dives 'under our belt'(wife had the fewest of the 3 definitely)-AND-----had a BLAST!!!!.......

Weather was 'horrible'(US cold front had blown thru & seas were 5 to 7 FEET--)We went out in a ~21 foot boat, with twin 55 hp (OMC I remember)outboards & each had tiller style steering(he had to stand up & grab each tiller with a hand & keep them pointing in the correct direction).....Oh & there were 'only' 4 on board-------the 3 of us AND the 4th was the boat captain/deck hand AND the DM all wrapped up into 1 person(19 YO too boot--remember his age cuz he had just graduated from hs in Belize & had gone to the college in the US for a semester in New Orleans some where--was home for Christmas break)...Yep-upon getting to the dive site, he threw the anchor overboard & we ALL---NO ONE left back on the boat---remember the topside conditions if you would---......When we all got to the bottom down the anchor line, the boat captain/deckhand/DM would every time go to the anchor & bury thst sucker as best he could into the reef(again remember the seas & NO ONE back in the boat).........

& after 1 morning of diving, we all get back in the boat, stow things away(rocking & rollin'), crank up the engines & 1 would NOT start-----------so we finally made it back in on that 'slow boat to china'--------daughter got seasick---etc etc etc.............BUT,the 3 of us talk about that week sometimes & all agree it was part of a 'great growing up experience ' in diving.........

Bottom line, I'm gunna guess the 2 of you will have a good time--------no matter how 'blind' you go into this trip---------------have a great time.........

EDIT:-----now saying all this, 3 months later, the 3 of us headed to Grand Cayman & found out what 'safe diving' was ----ie we HAD to make 15' foot safety stops---'had' to come back with 500 PSI(every dive I made in Belize the 3 months before my pressure gauge was sitting on zero when I hit the boat----& we found out 'you really can save a reef better' by tieing up to buoys AND not taking anything off the bottom........Part of the growing up process & finding out how naïve you can be(from time to time).......

..............Ah--the good ole days????........

Last edited:
Shallower fun dives with short boat rides is probably something on Ambergris Caye. Las Terrazas seems like it has everything for a more upscale option - on-site operator, pool etc. Ramons is a popular AI dive resort. I think you trade access to some of the mainland Belize non-dive activities from there as it's a ferry/short plane ride back to do those. Don't stay in Belize City, it's not really safe. I have a friend who lives there and has an office in town, he tries to avoid it whenever possible.

Hopkins/Placencia could be another option. From there you can access the non-diving things Belize offers: Mayan Ruins, Jaguar Preserve, Cave Tubing, river rafting etc. - some of it you can drive to yourselves although a guide/tour is generally suggested since there's not a lot of road signs. Staying in that area you trade on the diving a little since most of it is about an hour+ offshore to the inner/outer barrier reef or one of the atolls. Turneffe and Glovers are relatively accessible from that area. Belize in June (and July?) is often windy so that may mean some rougher boat rides although I believe many of the moorings are shielded by neighboring cays/atolls.

Honeymoon level resorts in that area are Hamanasi, Inn at Roberts Grove and the F.F. Coppola property - Turtle Inn. There's others also, just 3 I've looked at. It's not my speed but there's also some smaller, quieter options - smaller guesthouses in the area. Coppola also owns Blancaneux Lodge up in the mountains and they do some combo pkgs. IIRC. Pricier option though.

There's also some more affordable beachfront options in that area, we liked the look of Laru Beya but didn't stay there. Splash Dive in Placencia bundles packages with about 5-6 resorts in the area and offers free pickup - even from the airport to your resort. My friends were there a week a couple years ago and didn't rent a car. Placencia is a pretty small town though.

I'd pass on the atolls also - Turneffe Island, Blackbirds, Thatch Caye etc. since they're often the only property there. And exchange guests only once per week via boat to the mainland. So might be too quiet for what you want.

Another option I know very little about is Caye Caulker. It's between Ambergris and Belize City, ferry/flight accessible and only has maybe a dozen resorts - and 2 dive operators. The reef is a mile out there also similar to Ambergris.

If you want to go where almost everyone goes, then consider Ambergris Caye. It has more of everything most Americans want, like bars, restaurants, hotels and lots of other Americans. I've never been there, but the Victoria House is popular for weddings and honeymooners.

If you are seeking a quiet getaway type vacation, then consider the atolls. I've been to Turneffe Island Resort a couple of times for a total of three weeks. We had couples on their honeymoon two out of the three weeks. One couple did a week there, then left to do a week on AC. They were kind of regretting leaving, but I'm sure they had a good time, just different.

Further south, Hamanasi would be a good choice. Like TIR, they have their own in-house dive op.

And just a little further is Placencia, which has become my favorite destination. Accommodations range from Turtle Inn to youth hostels and all points in between. Not nearly the rocking' town that is San Pedro, but has a fair amount going on. Less "touristy" and more authentic Belizean, which may or may not appeal to you. Regardless of where you stay, Splash Dive Center should be your dive center. SDC is a ScubaBoard sponsor. Ralph Capeling, one of the co-owners, posts here frequently with Whale Shark updates. His wife, Patty Ramirez, the operator and other co-owner, loves to help with transportation and acommodations. Very professional, very safety conscious. And a ton of fun. My guess is Splash would have assign a guide just for the two of you as they consistently have the highest ratio of guides to guests I've ever seen anywhere. I've never been in a group bigger than four with just one guide, and often it's been three, two or sometimes just me. Late June /early July is a great time to go as it's the slow season. Prices are cheaper and there's more to choose from.
In fact, my wife and I will be down there beginning June 26 for a few weeks, so maybe we'll see you there.

General dos: do bring bug repellent but you probably won't need it unless you go into the jungle in which case you'll definitely need it. do tip generously if the service warrants it, and it probably will, do bring lots of $5s and $10s, not so many $20s and no $50s or $100s. do try the national meal: stewed chicken, rice and beans, um,um good,

General don'ts: don't hang out in Belize City unless you're a history buff like me. not a tourist town and has more than its share of violent crime. don't spend all your time hanging by the pool, get out, meet some locals and see some sights, don't forget the BZ to US dollar is 2 to 1, so always say "Belize" when they tell you the price so you don't overspend.

Have a great trip!

Last edited:
You've chosen what has become my favorite time of year on Ambergris Caye. There's a celebration Dia de San Pedro on or around June 29th and it's Lobsterfest on Caye Caulker. My recommendation is for you to stay at Victoria House, dive with Amigos del Mar, Chuck and Robbie's, or Island Divers. Each of them will pick you up at your chosen resort. You don't have to go to them, at least not once you've decided to dive with them. Take a day trip over to Caye Caulker to take in the Lobsterfest. If you want to party that evening, there's a big dance tent. In that case, you'll want z reservation for overnight stay.

Please be aware that the Caribbean is suffering through a period of sargassum seaweed coming into shore. Everyone is doing what they can to keep most of San Pedro town and Ambergris Caye resort areas as clear as possible but it's an endless chore at this time.

None of the aforesaid affects the diving or the great place it is.

You've made a good choice in my opinion. If Victoria house doesn't suit you for some reason, I'll be pleased to make other recommendations in a variety of price ranges and locations on Ambergris Caye or even cay Caulker if you chose to do an overnight there.

I'm not travel agent; just a Belize aficionado. :)

Thank you everyone! I'm adding to my notes daily. I'm hoping this will be one of the vacations I can sit back and enjoy. My vacations usually consist of some type of work such as maintaining a 4x4 in the desert, popping tents, carrying mtn bikes and so on.. Can't wait for some relaxing bottom time. Thanks again!

Just got back from Ambergris Caye in Feb. We stayed at the Sunbreeze Hotel (not a real honeymooners spot) but walked down the shore several times to eat at the restaurant in Ramon's Village which was very good. Very pretty spot.

I can vouch for the seaweed. We had do do a couple of swimming safety stops to get out from under large mats of the stuff.

floating seaweed (1 of 1).jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom