Is it worth going to Ambergris for the day from a cruise ship?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UKmarcus

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm lucky enough to be diving next week on a rather crappy cruise ship, because while the ship is kinda crappy (Carnival) I'll be stopping at a few places I've always wanted to dive. Cozumel, Grand Caymen, Roatan and Belize City. I've already found what appear to be good operations online for the first three, as for Belize, I'm having a harder time. Sounds like staying on the main island won't be a fun diving time with the crowded boats and long drive times, and so a flight to Ambergris could be in order? Others have said don't bother and just go cave tubing instead and save the hassle factor. Given that I'm diving the other islands, is Belize that much better? (No I'm not going to do the Blue Hole, I just want to see the reef.) Is it worth getting a plane and then squeezing in a dive and running back to the ship? Looks like Aqua Scuba Center specializes in making this happen but their reviews are mixed. But they do come get you from the airport and make it easy. Unless Belize is going to be top notch diving, I'm tempted to save the extra expense involved but wondered what more experienced travelers have to say?
Thanks in advance!~

Whenever we get a cruise ship question, I always think of Sea Sports Belize in Belize City. Located just off the dock at "Tourism Village," where the cruise ship passengers are dropped off for the day, you could walk there in a couple of minutes but they would most likely pick you up. You should definitely check with them before you fly off to Ambergris Caye.

Here's a blurb from the SSB website: Sea Sports offers personalized service for divers staying in Belize or just visiting for the day. We specialize in diving on the Belize Barrier Reef east of Belize City. There are hundreds of excellent dive sites here and we will take you to our favorite sites and for those diving with us for a week, we can also explore sites at Turneffe & Lighthouse Atolls which are further away. We offer pick up service for all hotels in Belize City, and if you will be visiting Belize for the day on a cruise ship, you will be shuttled to the “Fort Street Tourism Village” where all cruise ship passengers arrive in Belize. Our shop is less than one block from here and is about a 10 minute walk. Directions will be sent once your trip is confirmed. All rates are in US$.

I'm not sure why they think it will take you 10 minutes to walk one block, lol.

Is it worth one day of diving vs any of the other cool stuff you could do on the mainland? That's a tough one. Belize has a lot to offer, more than you could do in a month, much less a day. But if you went diving then you'd at least get away from the hordes going inland, and that alone would make it worth it for me.

Thanks Downing... Yes I saw there were plenty of dive operations on the mainland but the reason I asked about Ambergris is because when I read comments about the mainland diving on TripAdvisor etc. I kept hearing about large boats with way too many divers, on long boat rides to get anywhere decent. Seemed like better diving in Ambergris away from the cruise ship crowds. Then again, I've never been so I'm going on gut here and people's recommendations.

I spent a week on Ambergris a couple weeks ago. The first three days the east wind was so strong none of the dive operators were going out. The first day I took a trip south, east of Belize City, and the conditions were very good. The Turnoff Atolls give the area directly east of Belize city some protection from the east winds. From what I was told, East winds this time of year are uncommon. The last three days I was able to dive the reef just off the island but it was pretty rough. For a safe bet I would see if an dive shop would take you just east of the city, it would suck to fly to San Pedro and be blown out.

I'm lucky enough to be diving next week on a rather crappy cruise ship, because while the ship is kinda crappy (Carnival) I'll be stopping at a few places I've always wanted to dive. Cozumel, Grand Caymen, Roatan and Belize City. I've already found what appear to be good operations online for the first three, as for Belize, I'm having a harder time. Sounds like staying on the main island won't be a fun diving time with the crowded boats and long drive times, and so a flight to Ambergris could be in order? Others have said don't bother and just go cave tubing instead and save the hassle factor. Given that I'm diving the other islands, is Belize that much better? (No I'm not going to do the Blue Hole, I just want to see the reef.) Is it worth getting a plane and then squeezing in a dive and running back to the ship? Looks like Aqua Scuba Center specializes in making this happen but their reviews are mixed. But they do come get you from the airport and make it easy. Unless Belize is going to be top notch diving, I'm tempted to save the extra expense involved but wondered what more experienced travelers have to say?
Thanks in advance!~

I'd love to get the dive shop info for your stops if they work out... I'm taking that same ship later this fall (Oct) and want to dive all the same locations.

Well, I can't vouch for Sea Sports having never used them, although I was impressed with one of their boat captains I met at a coffee stand across the street from the shop a few years ago. But at least according to their website, they specialize in small groups and charters, so you'd be away from crowds.

It just seems to me that the logistics of humping it to AC and back would take a pretty decent bite out of the dive day as opposed to the close proximity to SS, where you could be on a boat in a matter of minutes of arriving in BZ City.

Whichever way you go, if you could do a trip report here about your experience in Belize when you return it would be much appreciated.

I have dove with the dive ops provided by Carnival in Belize, Honduras (Roatan) and Cozumel.
I would have no issue diving with any of them again.
In the case of Belize, the ship anchors miles off shore due to the shallow waters. The dive op picks you up directly from the ship eliminating the need to take a tender to shore. 15 min boat ride to dive shop. 15 mins out to the reef for two tank dives. Hugh Parkey is name of operation.
In Roatan, they use Anthonys Key Resort. Shuttle picks you up and transport you from port to resort.
Cant remember name of op in Cozumel but tthey meet you at end of pier for short walk to boat.
None of them had more 6 divers on the boat.

I think you'd being buying a lot of stress for very little return.

"Belize Time" is a lot more relaxed than a cruise ship's sailing schedule. Making all the transfers would be a big gamble.

Anyway, you are probably going to be confined to your cabin with NoroVirus.
eek.gif

In the case of Belize, the ship anchors miles off shore due to the shallow waters. The dive op picks you up directly from the ship eliminating the need to take a tender to shore. 15 min boat ride to dive shop. 15 mins out to the reef for two tank dives. Hugh Parkey is name of operation.

Well there you go. HP enjoys a good reputation, and I think--is it Elbert?--one of them posts here fairly regularly.

Don't forget the trip report!

Last edited:
Anyway, you are probably going to be confined to your cabin with NoroVirus.
eek.gif

Ha. If you think cruise ships are the only place that NoroVirus rears its ugly head I have some bad news for you.
If you think it is not transferable at any resort, airport, movie theatre or any place that HUMANS congregate you are sadly mistaken.
Only difference, is when you contract it at the airport you move it further on infecting people far beyond the confines of a ship with no way for public health to try to contain.
It boils down to hand hygiene whereever you are.
Carnival has installed hand wash stations outside of eateries that have soap, water and no contact dryers. There are a lot of places that do a lot less for a lot more people

Back
Top Bottom