Some Blue Hole Impressions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drrich2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi:

Spent last week onboard the Sun Dancer 2 out of Belize, and really enjoyed it. Highly recommended. Since the issue of doing a dive at the Blue Hole vs. skipping it and doing 2 reef dives instead comes up sometimes, thought I'd share my impression. We dove the Blue Hole (using EAN 24), and skipped a dive due to the nitrogen loading at such depth, visiting nearby Half Moon Caye Island (I believe it was called) afterward.

Approaching the Blue Hole entails heading through a channel through the surrounding reef.

thumb_IMG_1904_1024_zpsjqmo6bzc.jpg

thumb_IMG_1905_1024_zpskqsydqac.jpg

I found that when the boat's in it, it doesn't look nearly as huge as I would've thought from the overhead photos. Maybe like sitting on a lake or a large quarry?

Heading down the steep wall is fast. I've got a photo of my Cobalt showing 125 feet at 2 minutes.

thumb_IMG_9170_1024_zpssrn3hwbr.jpg

thumb_IMG_9171_1024_zpseh5te63d.jpg

At depth, it's pretty barren looking. There were a lot of particulates in the water, giving me a 'diving in a heavy snow' feeling. The stalactites are blunt, huge, thick rock structures that hang down. They don't look like what I'm used to seeing in land caves.

thumb_IMG_9180_1024_zps2gwnpakz.jpg

thumb_IMG_9181_1024_zpsarjylquf.jpg

thumb_IMG_9192_1024_zpsdawndzzm.jpg

Somebody told me a 'box crab' was on the wall at 130 feet, and I saw a sponge on the wall at around 70 feet I think. I saw some yellow snapper out in the open fairly deep. Otherwise the 'hole' seemed pretty dead.

Once you come up from the hole, you can mess around the shallows near the boat to extend bottom time. There's sea grass, and some other structure.

thumb_IMG_9195_1024_zpsav3mavci.jpg

thumb_IMG_9196_1024_zpsxzueqheb.jpg

As for Half Moon Caye Island, I liked it. It was hot; take that bottle of water with you! We arrived at a rather open area with palm trees, but walked a path into forest where there was a bird observatory. We got to see red-footed boobies and frigate birds. Plenty of iguanas, big land hermit crabs, and some little anole lizards.

thumb_IMG_1926_1024_zpsjoqdd5sb.jpg

thumb_IMG_1929_1024_zpscb7s4dua.jpg

thumb_IMG_1927_1024_zpshde7sqdn.jpg

thumb_IMG_1937_1024_zps1zhkdris.jpg

thumb_IMG_1941_1024_zpsomgbxmla.jpg

thumb_IMG_1991_1024_zpsugfkmhyo.jpg

thumb_IMG_1955_1024_zpspqygj6zm.jpg

thumb_IMG_1963_1024_zpsd7f4qkvu.jpg

With messing around in the shallows, I had a 47 1/2 minute dive, max. depth around 136 feet (I used a 100 cf tank by advance request), average depth 46 feet, and my wrist unit (Oceanic VT3) gave temp.s of 79 or 80 all week, but one of the guides believed the waters were about 2 degrees warmer than my computer read.

In a nutshell, I'm glad I dove the Blue Hole and visited the island. I'm in no hurry to do those 2 again; once was enough.

On the other hand, diving Belize on the Sun Dancer 2 was very nice and a fine choice for my 1st live-aboard.

Richard.

agreed. we did the blue hole on on first trip. skipped it the last 5 trips. And it is a very short dive. i like my 70 minute dives. so i have breakfast and then a nap.

the sites on half moon caye are some of my favourites. the only place i have ever seen bulldozer shrimps.

---------- Post added May 11th, 2015 at 09:55 PM ----------

p.s. was jerry cooking? best liveaboard chef in the caribbean (sorry stan!)

Carlos was cooking, and took good care of us. Barbara assisted him.

Thanks. You've confirmed my impression that the Blue Hole in Belize is a "don't bother" dive.

Really? I looked at those photos and thought, "Boy, it would be fun to do that dive again." Having done the BH three times, I think it's awesome and one heck of a way to kick off a great day of diving. And Half Moon Caye is one of my top favorite places on the planet.

Just goes to show scuba diving's a big tent with plenty of room for everybody and all points of view.

Thanks for the photos, drrich2. Good to see those Boobies are still alive and kickin'.

Really? I looked at those photos and thought, "Boy, it would be fun to do that dive again." Having done the BH three times, I think it's awesome and one heck of a way to kick off a great day of diving. And Half Moon Caye is one of my top favorite places on the planet.

Just goes to show scuba diving's a big tent with plenty of room for everybody and all points of view.

Thanks for the photos, drrich2. Good to see those Boobies are still alive and kickin'.

I really like seeing the geology and hard evidence of global climate change that are evident in the hole. I saw more than enough marine life in the other 26 dives that week and 35 that trip to make up for the fact that the Blue Hole itself doesn't have a lot of marine life. It is a much different dive profile on EAN25 than it is on 21%. My dive from the Sundancer2 was about 45 minutes. I was also one of the only people on the boat to do all of the dives that week. So the skipping one dive to do the BH dive argument doesn't make any sense to me. At the end of our first day on Sundancer 2, I looked at my computer and saw that I had been underwater for over 6 hours. I was exhausted and tried to limit the rest of the dives on that trip to 50 minutes or so. It is just so much diving in a short time. I was also feeling ill the first 2 days of that trip so the longer dives were really exhausting.

While I can agree that the day trip from San Pedro is a long day, I loved the Blue Hole dive the time I went on Sundancer2, but all the cool kids seem to hate the Great Blue Hole and diving in Belize in general.

I don't think I said others shouldn't go. Just that it doesn't interest me, particularly, especially given the oft-voiced concerns about the safety standards (i.e. straight from OW dive 4 to 130FSW on an AL80).
As reefs go, the images I've seen don't make it look at all great. Other sites in Belize look better, to my eye.
But there's stalactites! Sure. But I can see more/better examples in an actual cave.
But there's SHARKS! Sure. But I can see more/better examples in any number of other places (Stuarts Cove, Playa del Carmen, etc).
Add in the premium dive ops charge to go there, and the BH falls firmly into the "Meh, whatever" category, as far as I am concerned.
But don't let that stop you from jumping in. I'm not trying to influence your choice. I'm merely expressing my opinion.

My opinion is that the more I dive the Blue Hole the more I get out of it. That said after 16+ times, I could also skip it. Unfortunately, if I want to dive Half Moon Caye wall out of San Pedro then the Blue Hole is the first of three dives. Half Moon Caye itself is one of my happy places. I rarely venture into the area for boobie birds & frigates because i prefer to walk straight acrooss from the dock and contemplate the tide pools, the water, waves, God's majesty and mother nature's beauty. It's all a very zen experience for me and lunch is very tasty too. :)

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom