Need advice for Blue Hole Trip (Large Boat).

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pensacola

Registered
Reaction score
I will be on Ambergris for a couple of days. I have never done the Blue Hole. Can someone suggest a large boat that goes that way? I tend to get sea sick on the smaller ones (even if they're faster). Thanks!!

Amigos del Mar

If my only choice were a large boat to the blue hole, I think I'd pass. The blue hole is dangerous enough as it is but going as part of a herd makes it even more so. If you must go on a large boat, hire a personal DM for the trip.

Thanks for the advice. Maybe I'll check the marine forecast and consider a smaller group. Any suggestions on a smaller operation if the weather looks favorable?

Amigos del Mar breaks up the larger group into smaller groups with different dive masters for each group. Depending on when you're going, there's plenty of potential for the boat not to be full.

---------- Post added May 31st, 2015 at 10:03 AM ----------

Something else just occurred to me. You're concerned about seasickness. Amigos has two big boats. The biggest boat haz a bit of a roll, whereas the smaller but still big comfy boat, doesn't roll like that. And if seas are rough, it may not matter which you are on.

I'm assuming you know how to handle/avoid seasickness?

I'm assuming you know how to handle/avoid seasickness?

At the first sign of trouble, go straight to the head (bathroom). Close the door. Concentrate on the rocking, rolling motion of the boat. Sway with the boat side to side and front to back while spinning round and round as fast you can until you're so dizzy you can't stand up. Avoid fresh air, the side of the boat and staring at the horizon.

I read this on the internet so it must be true. :devil:

You left off something. :wink:

Don't take anti-seasickness meds until you feel sick. LOL

You're a wicked boy, downing. People prone to seasickness could feel woozy just reading your tease. Hehe

My advice is not to pre-book your blue hole trip. Make the call after you get there and see what the weather is like. Sometimes, it is a mirror, sometimes it is not. No one takes a little boat out there. However, the smaller boats do tend to roll less. The sites are all inside the atoll, so are calm. Only you know what gets you sick. Most people that I know, get sick bobbing around at the sites, not running to the sites at speed. If its really rough, don't go. If you haven't pre-booked anything, you won't feel obligated either financial or morally.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom