Ambergris caye vs Placencia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pajjpen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey!
So im going to be in mexico in february/march and had planned for 6 weeks there. I did however get recommended to check out belize and so I did.
I got quite intereseted and after realsing that playa del carmen will be very touristy ill most likely not spend as much time there as planned, so it looks like ive got 1-2 weeks left to go somewhere else.
Heres my thread btw; http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/mexico/518982-5-6-weeks-mexico-diving-mainly.html

Anyways, im wondering where you would recommend I stayed. Im looking for a laid back place where i can drink beers at chill bars close or on the beach and still have really good diving.
Theres not much info about placencia anywhere so i figured id ask you guys.
PS: Oh and some land activites would be nice to be able to do aswell.
PS 2: Maybe even caye caulker?
Cheers!

you are correct aqbout PDC it is a tourist trap. Better off to stay in Tulum and dive cenotes which is the only real thing that distinguishes diving in the Yucatan from diving in Belize. with that much time you can spend a week in a bunch of places. Ambergris Caye is great access to reef diving and marine reserves. AC also is busier and the center of Belize diving. AC has more food and drink then other areas including a micro brew. Caye Caulker is much much smaller and quieter with better acces to the atolls. Atolls are really the best diving in Belize. There is access to atolls from Placencia also. A week in each place AC, CC and Placencia would work nicely.

Going to have to choose one place in Belize. Got a lot of stuff I wanna do in Mexico + the liveaboard which will take up a lot of my time. I'm actually thinking about caulker, as I'm looking for something rly laid back.
When u say atolls, which atolls are u talking about?

this isnt ideal but the atolls are in there Hotels On Belize's Offshore Islands And Atolls staying on caulker just means you have to ride over to ambergris for diving. stay out of town a bit on ambergris and you will have plenty of quiet. You can also look into the atolls if you have the budget. I am wondering if this is a dive trip or a general tourist trip?

this isnt ideal but the atolls are in there Hotels On Belize's Offshore Islands And Atolls staying on caulker just means you have to ride over to ambergris for diving. stay out of town a bit on ambergris and you will have plenty of quiet. You can also look into the atolls if you have the budget. I am wondering if this is a dive trip or a general tourist trip?
Nah man this is a dive trip for sure, it's just that when I get over to Belize I'll have done a lot of dives in Mexico so options for other activities is always good, I'll still spend most of my time diving in Belize aswell.
ill check out the atolls, what's so special about them compared to the diving off ambergris? And also I don't mind a little boat ride to get to the sites (if staying on caulker)
will check your link out.

---------- Post added December 20th, 2015 at 03:40 AM ----------

Checked out the island resorts on your link and they are a little too expensive. A week is 2000+ which is what a liveaboard would be, basically.
i will be able to access all the atolls and the good diving from caulker/ambergris right?

Anyways, im wondering where you would recommend I stayed. Im looking for a laid back place where i can drink beers at chill bars close or on the beach and still have really good diving.

Pretty much describes anywhere in Belize where there's a beach, lol.

katzgar is right on about Tulum and the denotes vs hanging in Carmen, but there's also good diving off the mainland. And, the cenotes are beyond cool. If you did a week each in AC, CC and Placencia would be a great way to see some water and the country.

ill check out the atolls, what's so special about them compared to the diving off ambergris? And also I don't mind a little boat ride to get to the sites (if staying on caulker)
will check your link out.

Less dived, less abused, different location, more marine life more coral etc...

Back
Top Bottom