Where to dive in February (Belize?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

got4boyz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi! I'm new to this board and new to diving (4 total since getting certified LOL). We want to go diving in a couple weeks for our anniversary. We only own short suits at this point so need a warm place to dive. We were considering Belize but don't know anything about it. Would really welcome any suggestions. The only place we have been diving is Cancun and Cozumel so would like to go someplace different if possible. (Though I'll go back to Cozumel in a heartbeat!)

Thanks in advance to any input. I need to book a flight soon so am looking forward to hearing from y'all!

Welcome to the family Got4boyz, glad to have you here! If you'd like to direct your question to Natasha, our resident expert on dive travel she should be more than happy to give you some options. Just do a search for her on the members link on the top right of this screan and send her a private e-mail.

Welcome to the board. Have you looked at Bonaire? Very easy diving, wonderful people and relatively inexpensive. It's not touristy, but it's a "divers paradise" to steal their island moto.

Here are some web sites to look at

Can't help with Belize but it is on my todo list. Natasha may be able to help. Again, welcome to the board.

Gosh, thanks so much for your quick replies. I'll look up Natasha. I checked out the Bonaire sites. Looks great! Then I had a horrible realization. Do I need a passport to go to Bonaire or Belize from the US? I probably couldn't get one in two weeks. :(

This time of year I would try Bonaire. It is far enough south that you do not have the fronts. If you dive Belize I have heard the best way to do that is with on a liveaboard. Have fun!

Ron C.

Passport not a problem In Bonaire ( assuming you are a US citizen). All you need is a birth certificate ( WITH A RAISED SEAL!!) and a photo ID. The first time I went to Bonaire that's what I used. To be doubly sure, go to the Bonaire message board and ask , that board is about like this one, you will get a quick responce( one of the web sites on last post). Another alternative is the Bahamas, the diving is pretty nice and same entry requirements but given the choice,it's Bonaire hands down. I think you can get a passport is short order but you pay dearly for it. I would recommend that you go ahead and get one to avoid the problem in the future. If you are considering Bonaire, look at Buddy Dive ( http://www.buddydive.com I think). Their dive and drive package is hard to beat and they are a first class operation, email me if you want a lot more info.

HI!
Just saw this post. Well, here's my two cents. Herman is right, you do not need a passport for Bonaire if you're a US citizen. You do however need a 'state issued' birth certificate. Not all of them do have the raised seal, some are just blue, depending on the state. The thing here is to be sure it says 'state issued' and not 'hospital issued' at the top. Hospital issued are the ones with the cute baby foot prints. Yes, people have tried to use these!

Belize does require a passport. And you can get one 'right away' as long as you do not have any felonies against you and you do not owe child support. Yes, I'm serious.

As for which place to dive in February, it's a toss up. Belize will price out a bit cheaper as will most of Central America, and Mexico, compaired to the Caribbean. My group stayed at Journey's End on Ambergris caye, but I also like smaller places on San Pedro. Buddy dive on Bonaire is a fine place, as is Sand Dollar, and the Plaza Resort where my March group will be staying.{ 13 women and 9 men}

If you do not have a travel agent, I would be happy to help you if you want to call me in my office. I have no problem posting the phone number here, as it's on my web site anyway and everyone has access to it.

There is so many places you can stay it would be too many to list here. Sometimes, " taking it to the phones" is a better idea.

Dive the Planet! 708-957-8616

You can in fact get a passport quickly. If you are in a city that does passports (New Orleans, San Francisco, etc.), you can physically go to the passport office with your birth certificate and get it done in one day. If you are in the hinterlands like we are, you can take your birth certificate to the local post office and pay for expedited service and have it in a week or so (ten days at the most).
Rick

Wow, this is great! Thanks so much for all your input. It's great to know I don't need a passport for Bonaire. I thought I saw on the website that I did. I will get me one soon however so I won't be caught with this predicament again! :)

Natasha, I believe I will give you a call. I've been researching stuff on this computer ALL day and my head is swimming. I guess my biggest concern is the price on a place to stay. Haven't found anything under $100 a day.

When I went to Cozumel we stayed at a little motel on the square for $25 a night. It wasn't anything to brag about, but it was very clean and had air conditioning. That's all I needed! LOL

Also we went diving with a man named Charro for $50 for two boats dives, a very nice lunch on a beach, and our BC's and regulators thrown in too! I guess I was spoiled, I had no idea how expensive this could get!

Anyway, thanks again for all your help.

Back
Top Bottom