Questions about snorkeling in Bermuda and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Homunculus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
hi all,
we will be in Bermuda for 3 days late September. We'll be staying in b&b in south hampton parish (greene's guesthouse). scuba is not primary reason for the trip but we'd like to dive. we've been going back and forth with the decision on whether to dive 2 days, 1 day or just snorkel and save money for a destination more known for scuba diving. i think we finally decided to do one 2-tank dive. Dive Bermuda is conveniently located 3 min away from b&b, and most people gave great reviews of the place.
we intend to rent a scooter and bring our own fins, masks and snorkels. my wife's interest in scuba/snorkeling is to see beautiful marine life (fishes and corals).
i have a few questions:
1. what are the best snorkeling sites (reachable from the shore)? i've read that tobacco bay (in st.george), snorkeling place (close to navy dockyard), church bay are good.
can anyone mention the highlights from their experience, please.
2. for those of you who dove many wrecks, if you only had to dive one what would that be? Hermes is the most popular site. it is worth it?
3. what restaurant for dinner with romantic atmosphere, beautiful view for the sunset and great food would you recommend? ideally should not have a dress code.
Thank you in advance.

1. On the South Shore, Church Bay is the best for snorkeling. Snorkel Park at Dockyard is pretty poor, as is Tobacco Bay in St Georges. However, just next to Tobacco bay is Achille's Bay and the Catherine Rocks - snorkeling here is excellent. As you are also on scooters, would recommend doing a beach dive from Elbow Beach. There's a dive operation right on the beach to rent stuff. Makes for a much better experience than just snorkeling at Elbow.
2. Near the Southamption Princess, the Hermes is probably one of the best. Mari Celeste is also a fun dive. At the East End, Rita Zovetta and Pelinian are two of the best.
3. Believe it or not, there aren't a lot of restaurants with great sunset views. Blu is probably the best for sunset views. Best to book early (like before you arrive), and request a table against the windows
4. You didn't have a fourth question, so I'll add. You only have three days, and probably don't want to waist time so I'd recommend an itinerary something like this. By renting scooters, you will actually be able to do far more and see more than those that come for twice as long and rely on busses and taxis.

Day 1 (Southamption Area): Morning dive with Dive Bermuda on South Shore, Snorkeling at Church Bay, Horseshoe Beach for Sunbathing, Ride up to the Southampton Lighthouse for some of the best views of the island. Spending first day like this close to B&B will get you comfortable with the scooters for the next few days where you should venture further out!

Day 2 (East End): Dive with Triangle Diving, Snorkel at Achille's Bay, Walk the town of St Georges, Stop at the Swizzle Inn (which is next to Triangle Diving) for a drink.

Day 3 (Hamilton and Dockyard): Scooter to Dockyard and walk around the shops there, Take fast ferry from Dockyard to City of Hamilton (makes for a nice and cheap boat trip as you get to see the harbour and inner islands), walk around Hamilton, return on Fast Ferry to Dockyard). You only need 1 hour to visit Dockyard shops, maybe 2-3 hours to spend in Hamilton). Lots of decent restaurants in Hamilton.

I stayed in Southamption Princess in October couple years ago. Snorkeling from their beach was pretty good. You can explore area protected by some rocks near the beach, or swim to old dolphin enclose to the right or (weather permitting) swim outside protected lagoon and see some shallow reefs.
Don’t expect democratic vote selecting dive site. In my case they cancelled dives on a first day and sent me to Hamilton Princess site on a second day (extra ~$40 cab roundtrip). They blame weather but I suspect they didn’t have enough people to run 2 boats. Both wrecks we dove Darlington and ’L'Herminie were pretty decomposed but covered with corals so overall impression was pretty good.

I'd like to second NJdiver85's comments re Southampton, the Hermes-a favorite of mine, and using the services of Dive Bermuda.
Additionally, there is a restaurant overlooking the beach and ocean literally a few steps above Dive Bermuda's shop. It used to be called "The Whaler Inn", but the name has been changed. It is a greta setting for a sunset or later dinner overlooking the ocean.
Enjoy your trip-it's a great island.

Mike

A nice romantic place for dinner not far from your B&B is Coconut's at the Reefs resort on the south shore. It's outdoor dining but casual. They have a couple of tables on the beach which I have heard are nice and romantic. Wrong direction for sunset view, but if its cloudy at least you will have the water view.

I really recommend NJdivers itinerary!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom