Bermuda Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BDAfreediver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Greetings one and all,

I want to start a new thread for the new year as the old thread was getting longer and longer.
I have been offline for the past three months due to moving and getting horrible service in trying to get my internet up and running.
I am now online, returning to sanity and hoping to help you with your questions about Bermuda.

Me personally? I was born here on the islands of Bermuda and have lived here most of my life. I am an avid water lover and have been diving for several years and enjoy it.

If you have any questions may they be general, Bermuda related, hotel related, diving, things to do or where to eat please ask and I will attempt to answer in the fullest. I know there are a few others on scubaboard which have dived in Bermuda's water recently or have been to the island on a regular basis and I encourage them to answer as well as be honest on dive shops as well. This helps give new visitors the best options when choosing a shop to dive with.

I think thats it for now but please message me or post on the forum with your questions

thank you
BDA

Okay, I'll bite. I live in Kentucky in the U.S., and made most dive trips to Bonaire. Have dove Cozumel, St. Thomas, eastern Puerto Rico, Grand Cayman and Costa Maya on 2-tank trip stops (mainly while cruising), so I've been to (and love) the warm, high viz. tropical Caribbean sea. I'd like to hit CocoView in Roatan but haven't had the pleasure so far.

Haven't been to the Bahamas. Would be interested to go, but I'm told I'd need the live-aboard route for the best experience, and my main dive buddy and my wife both are sea sick prone and spending a week on a boat scares them off. Also, I'm chubby, don't wear a wet suit in temp.s 75 plus, or want to wear one, and I understand the Bahamas in winter = wet suit diving.

So, for the pampered warm water (no wet suit required) high viz loving Caribbean tourist who can hit a range of sites, what would you say are the main draws that would tempt him/her to skip the above locations and head to Bermuda instead?

One can always say 'for a new experience' or 'something different,' but one could also hit Saba, St. Lucia, Turks & Caicos and some other places. If Bermuda's only draw is 'something different' that could put it pretty far down the bucket list. What little the Undercurrent 2012 Chapbook had to say about Bermuda didn't make it sound like it's high on the 'must do' list.

Richard.

P.S.: I know very little about Bermuda and am not aiming for an antagonistic tone here. I'm presenting the viewpoint of a skeptical spoiled tropical Caribbean diver with lots of other options.

I'll bite, too :) For the most part, my curiosity & experience mirrors that of drrich2 (above), plus the Bahamas. The wreck diving is what intrigues me, personally. My big question, is there such thing as a $100'ish a night hotel ? In other words, what I DO need is a bed, toilet, tv, WiFi, shower. What I DON'T need is a spa, golf course, world renown chef, dramatic floral gardens, etc. I prefer to "eat with the locals", if you know what I mean. Any thoughts appreciated in advance :)

Last edited:
Odd... I wrote a reply ages ago... I came back to check to find my reply no longer here... not sure if it is the board or the Bermuda Triange... let me try again!

First Happy New Year!
Second answering Questions;

1. Bermuda is the summer has water temps in the mid 80s
2. Beautiful un-spoilt reefs
3. WRECKS, WRECKS and MORE WRECKS
- We have so many different types of wrecks ( a small pile of wood to a whole ship etc) that each dive to a new wreck is a completely new experience. To all the divers I have spoken too this is the main draw for diving here in Bermuda.

We are not a diving mecha here to be honest and have about five dive shops (maybe 6...) each offer different locations and some even do shore diving though most are boat run. Most wrecks are a quick ride on the boat and your off in the water. Also most wrecks/reef sites are within 30 - 50 feet of water... If you prefer deep ask the dive shop and they normally will go deeper (does depend on who else is diving/experience etc).

Bermuda is also known for its friendly people, British style and white roofs... (for water collection) The beaches are pristine, easy to get to and you can almost always find a small beach to call your own.

Bermuda you can be expensive... IF you don't dig around. Go online to google and search for "bermuda guest houses" or 'guest apartments' this will find you much cheaper locations ($100 etc). You can buy your own grub or eat where the locals eat as well. If you put in the effort the island is full of deals as well.. There are also tons of free historic places to visit, beautifully kept gardens (Botanical gardens) and walks all for free... I can go into more details if you want just ask...

Hope this helps... and I hope my comment doesn't disappear again!

take care!

Odd... I wrote a reply ages ago... I came back to check to find my reply no longer here... not sure if it is the board or the Bermuda Triange... let me try again!

I believe Scubaboard had a data corruption issue a few days ago, and seems some posts have been "lost". Thanks for checking back and reposting. Your info is VERY helpful and appreciated :)

I also live in Bermuda, I wasn't born here though.

I go diving pretty much every weekend here, while I go to the same sites I love it. You just have to have the proper expectations.
-Lots of wrecks
-Cold in the winter
-Warm in the summer
-Healthy reefs
-Small Fish and not much else.

As an example of a shot from this past weekend:

divebermuda-hermes-luke-1-6-13.jpg

I dive with Dive Bermuda DIVE Bermuda - Scuba Diving Shop at The Fairmont Southampton Princess

They are a great shop that is very well run, I have heard lots of good things about Triangle diving as well.

If you know where to look you can find lots of interesting things in Bermuda:
nudi-vertical.jpg

20120728-IMG_1088.jpg

for comparison I have travelled to Bonaire, Indonesia, Malaysia, Cozumel, Belize, Turks & Caicos, and various other island in the Caribbean. While the diving here isn't like any of those places it is unique in it's own right.

Bermuda is expensive in general, it is so close to the east coast that it is probably the perfect quick get-away for a long weekend. I live here and I love it, if anyone visits let me know and I might see you on the dive boat. :D

Awsome Pics NJCFM! Which Wreck is that by the way haven't done too many south shore dives yet personally.. :(

that is the hermes.

I haven't dove many places other then south shore, when you go out do you go out on a private boat or with triangle?

I need to do the Hermes.... mental note.
I used to go with Blue water Divers but haven't been recently. When I do get a chance to dive it is normally with friends. I am hoping to rig a family boat up for the summer so it is a bit more diver friendly.

BDAfreediver, a couple questions. I am thinking of planning another trip to BDA this summer. I thought I read somewhere that we shouldn't use the buses to get to the airport to our destination - something about no space to carry luggage. Is this correct? We are looking at staying near Bailey's Bay which looks like a short bus trip from the airport. Can we buy bus passes at the airport? How is the diving with Triangle Divers? Do they have certain wrecks and reefs they typically visit, how long are the boat rides, how croweded are the boats. We are looking at a June or August trip. Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom