Diving in Bermuda

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
We are going diving in Bermuda in October. What dive operators would you recommend (no cattleboats) what are some of the cool shipwreck dives there? Thank you.

I agree with the Blue Water Divers recommendation. We dove with them in April, and they were my first dives after certification and my first salt water dives. I felt safe and well attended, but was not over done either. They choose wreck sites by weather/winds and have lots to choose from in Bermuda. Have fun!

We will be in st.George oct 10th coming in on the ncl majasty ,trying to find a dive charter also thanks ....Paul

Blue water divers in Somerset in really good. They have a nice boat, and go out to alot of great wrecks. If you have a choise I recomend the Mary Celeste, Hermes, Minnie Breslar, Connstellation, and the L'Hermine. All great wrecks, and there are plenty of awsome reefs out there. Another good dive boat is Triangle diving located at Grotto Bay beach resort, which is closer to St George, and Hamilton than going to Somerset. Whoever you choose to dive with, you'll have a great time. Above, and below the water, Bermuda is a great island.

Thanks for the quick response..i really am looking forward to this trip.....have a great valentines day Paul

xtremepopugai:
We are going diving in Bermuda in October. What dive operators would you recommend (no cattleboats) what are some of the cool shipwreck dives there? Thank you.

There's lots of interesting diving, especially (IMHO) the Civil War wrecks along the South Shore. At the East end, there are several more modern wrecks which went aground on "The Boilers", interesting reef formations in themselves.

I haven't been diving there in several years, but I wouldn't expect two things to have changed: there's not much in the way of big fish there and the dive operators have to cater to unknown cruise ship passengers, so the dives tend to be closely supervised.

A note about Blue Water divers -- their charter boat operates out of Somerset Bridge, which is at the opposite end of the island from St. George's.....this is a 45 minute+ expensive cab ride away. I haven't been there for almost 4 years, but I would bet a one way cab ride of that length will set you back at least $30....perhaps not so bad if split several ways (most Bermuda taxis are small micro-vans). An alternative is the bus system, which is very good and cheap...but obviously harder to navigate without some guidance. From St. George's, you will likely have to take a bus into Hamilton and change buses.

I am not familiar with operators on the eastern end of the island...but I know there are some.

Hope this helps.

-Chris

Thanks Chris,,,I was wondering about that too,was thinking of getting a good gear bag with both rollers and backpack ,,Blue Water diver's website says they have free storage
for gear ,,so hope to cut my lugging of gear there and back to just once.They have a location (elbow beach)according to there site.That looks like were we will go out of . Thanks Paul

They do have a location at Elbow Beach, but I think that is for shore diving only.

They will definitely store your gear at the Somerset Bridge location. When I was there, I took a taxi the first trip to get my gear there...subsequent trips were by bus.

A couple of suggestions --

Definitely send them e-mails with questions -- they were very responsive when I had questions before my trip.

If you are going to be there for at least a couple of days, you might want to consider buying a bus pass. I know they sell them at the airport, but you are coming by boat, so not sure where you would get them. You can buy 1, 3, 4, and 7 day passes that cover all zones -- definitely worth it since long 1-way bus trips across multiple zones can be $3-4. A 4 day bus pass will run you $35. If taking 2 bus trips every day for diving + additional trips for sight-seeing, it is definitely worth it. The bus drivers are friendly and helpful -- in fact when we were there, one driver drove us off of her route in the middle of a rain storm so that we could get off at a stop with a covered shelter. The Somerset Beach location is right on the bus line, just steps from a bus stop. The passes are sold at many hotels...there may be somewhere in St. George's where you can buy them.

Bermuda public transportation board:
http://www.gov.bm/portal/server.pt?space=CommunityPage&control=SetCommunity&CommunityID=252

Link to bermuda tourism site with info about getting around:
http://www.bermudatourism.com/default.asp?page=get_here_around.html

You can also rent mopeds of course (no rental cars in Bermuda), but then again it seems as almost every local you talk to has a nasty moped crash story....and after riding on buses and in taxis that drive inches behind mopeds along narrow streets, I can see why..;-)

Hope this helps.

-Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom