Little boat question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

awthacker

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a 15 ft Bonita (bowrider). I've never ventured offshore Jacksonville, but I'm going to Destin in August. How are the seas around/outside of Destin Pass. Should I just forget about diving the near shore wrecks/reefs, or is it likely that I may be able to venture out on a calm day. I would be carrying a handheld radio & GPS.

If not in Jacksonville then why Destin?

I have seen bass boats 30 miles out, you can, but-------.

My biggest concern is that the pass can be rough, especially with an outgoing tide against the waves, they can build height rapidly on the shoals and the whole inlet there is a shoal if I might add. Not an expert on the Destin pass but I have been in and out of it many times and sometimes I decide--no, not today. Other times it is like a lake, on those days, with an eye to the weather, stay close so you can run fast, you would be OK. Immediately outside the pass, 1 to 1.5 mile SE, is the Bridge Rubble, a couple of miles to the west are the Army tanks and about five miles east is the Tug Luise I think it is.

Do not take that boat out to the Liberty Ship or other deeper and more distant reefs. JMO.

N

Bridge Rubble:

N 30? 20.826'
W 086? 29.627'

Miss Louise:

N 30? 22.301'
W 086? 25.290

Tanks:

N 30? 21.775'
W 086? 35.359

And of course you can motor up to the East Jetty and dive the Finger being careful of swimmers, divers, boats and currents. Pull in carefully on the lee side and anchor bow out, back in and then toss a stern anchor over and pull back on the bow anchor rode to set your boat off the beach. This is a popular areas so be very careful when maneuvering under power. The local poor folk walk in pushing a wheel barrow but we tourists prefer to use our own boats :wink:.

I would tell you to use a local shop but the only place they will take you is the Jetty and the Bridge Rubble, both of which you can easily reach on your own.

N

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Nemrod. I should've posted this somewhere else like Dixie Divers, but I'm kinda new. It's good to know that other little boats do it. Here in Jax, we've got Jetties, but all of the wrecks are 9 miles out and further, so I don't go.

Thanks for the info Nemrod. I should've posted this somewhere else like Dixie Divers, but I'm kinda new. It's good to know that other little boats do it. Here in Jax, we've got Jetties, but all of the wrecks are 9 miles out and further, so I don't go.

Scuba diving sites and GPS destinations: Wrecks, Coral Reefs, Reviews, Trip Charters. - Dive Spots

You will not find many boaters here on scaryboard. There is also a section down at the bottom of The Hull Truth - Powered by vBulletin for people who dive and scuba from their own boats.

You can use google earth as well to check out locations, more a gimmick but sometimes useful.

Good luck.

N

Let me add, an inexpensive sonar would be useful. Using your gps cruise around the numbers above until you either see the object on the bottom or fish. Fish, circle the wrecks in great numbers and BOOM on the sonar. You can also see them swimming circles around the Tug Luise from your boat just by looking into the water, see the fish, you should be on it. Kayaks sometimes launch from the park beach and dive or spearfish this area so watch out for them if they are out. N

Get a sonar - I have a great GPS (Faruno) but w/out a sonar, except on the calmest, best viz days here in Miami, you will never find the wrecks without one. Reefs a little easier, but still would not w/out something that tells me whats on the bottom.

I'd also rethink diving from your own boat unless its flat calm - your profile suggests a new diver; I'd dive the Destin area, but would get some more experience before doing it off your own boat.

Can tell you from lots of personal experience there is a lot to diving off your own boat - '15 feet; more suited to calm lakes; no sonar - I'd rethink.

I do'nt have any experience diving the Florida area with a small boat but I do on the Great Lakes. A good rule is to always have someone that knows how to operate the boat stay on the boat while you and a buddy dive.
Its not good to surface and find your boat gone.

The three places I gave coordinates for are within swimming distance of shore in an emergency, there are lots of boats around, if your boat floats off, somebody will pass by to pick you up. Two of the sites are visible from the pass.

We dive from and anchor our small boat unattended regularly.

There are no mooring buoys so certainly the OP will need rode, chain and anchor.

Inside the bay and inlet, in addition to the jetty, some people dive under the bridge, stay out of the channel. There are also a couple of places inland from the bridge but I don't have coordinates, I just know where they are by sight.

I have paddled my kayak to the Bridge Rubble, launching from the area on the southeast of the bridge. It is not like we are talking about a huge distance, with a little caution and common sense there should be no problem.

The biggest thing, already mentioned, is that on an outgoing tide with wind onshore, waves can stand up surprisingly large over the shallow bar at the inlet. I usually try to avoid that circumstance. Knowing how to pilot an inlet, how to ride the back of a wave, when to chicken out, when not to go, what sea states are acceptable and what my be expected over the course of a day are why paying a professional captain can be a wise thing. Problem is here, the only places the local boats go nine times out of ten is the Jetty and the Bridge Rubble, over and over and over and over and they charge like 80 bucks for that.

On some fish just out of the pass;

DSCF0317.jpg

Heading out, Crab Island behind us, take old people fishing, they like that, oh, wait, I am old:

DSCF0383_edited.jpg

The Jetty as it was circa 1970s:

djets_edited_edited-1.jpg

On the Louise a friendly 'cuda hangs in the shade under our little Whaler:

IMG_0549_edited-1.jpg

N

Last edited:
When I first got into boating I asked a similar question to the coastguard aux rep who was teaching my boaters safety class. He said to make sure I put the name of the boat on the life jackets and other equipment. I asked why, he answered "it makes it easier to identify the bodies".
I never forgot that. But eventually I took that boat out much further than my question was in reference to. Just remember, any day can turn. Even now with a boat weighing over 18,000 pounds fully loaded I will not venture far off shore without checking multiple weather reports. My first is NOAA. But I check for my area and all surrounding areas. I can't tell you how many times they predicted calm seas for my area then the next area they gave small craft warnings. Only 15 miles away. Also watch the weather for the next day. 2 reasons, tomorrows weather does not switch on suddenly at midnight, and number 2, if you have any sort of engine failure and you can't contact anyone on the radio you will be boating in that area tomorrow. When checking NOAA make sure you check the marine forecasts as well as the non-marine weather. Know how winds affect the seas in your area. Here in the northeast an sort of NE wind will make a rough sea. The same or stronger winds coming form the west or south is of much less concern for us. It has to do with the prevailing currents. Then there are the pop-up t-storms to watch out for. Never underestimate the power of a thunder storm or cell.
Just remember, if you decide to head off shore in a small boat, there is no excuse for getting stuck in weather.

Back
Top Bottom