diving off aluminum bass boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gracklemann

Registered
Reaction score
I'm considering buying an aluminum bass boat for fishing, and was wondering if anyone has over dived from one, or if anyone has any idea of what sort of issues I might run across trying to dive from one. This would be for freshwater of course.

You can dive off of any boat, but, but, a bass boat is about near the bottom of suitability only outranked possibly by a canoe. That is not meant to hurt your feelings or keep you from buying your dream bass boat, just don't be terribly disenchanted when you find there is a reason they don't make a Bass'nDive--do they? N

The thing to check is whether you can hang a suitable ladder from the side so you can get out of the water. Also, make sure that it won't capsize while you are climbing out.

Yeah...what he said. You can dive off of any boat. There are very few boats you can get back into after the dive though, and that could be a problem on an aluminum bass boat. I don't think it's stable enough to reboard from the side, even with a ladder. I think your only chance would be with a folding or extendable ladder hanging from the transom, assuming there is enough room to mount one between the motor and the side of the boat.

John A.

by aluminum bass boat, I think you mean something like a John Boat or a V hull that is similar to a john boat. in the 12 to 14 or maybe 16 foot range?

Since I own a john boat (14ft) and know how unstable it is even if you stand up in it, I don't know how you'd get back into it without swamping it. even with a ladder. the gunnels are pretty low to the water and swamping is very likely.

I think if you ever try this idea, it'll be a very good idea to make sure to let someone
know "exactly" where you'll be diving in case of emergency.

Keep in mind the problem with ladders is that when you put weight on them, they want to swing away from you. Therefore, you will need a way to keep it from swinging toward the hull.

Climbing the boarding ladder onto my boat is always an adventure. If it weren't so hard and dangerous, it would be an Olympic sport!

gracklemann:
Thanks for the replies. I'm looking at a 16-17ft boat. Something like this:
http://www.trackerboats.com/boat/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.gallery&boat=1958

If it was diveable, that sure would be a plus. I'll have to do some checking to see if a ladder could be mounted on the rear.

I've actually spent a lot of time in a 17 foot bass tracker like the one in the URL. I used to fish on one often. I've also gone swimming off of it. You can climb in the rear of it swimming without swamping it. But the rear of the boat gets almost down to the waterline when you put weight on one of the back corners. In rough water, a small wave might wash over the back of it. If you'll notice in the pic's on the page, it's only 8-10" inches above the water at the rear of the boat with no one back there. You put all your weight on one corner getting in is when you'll notice the rear sink down.

But I've never done it with scuba gear on. Most likely what you would have to do it inflate your BCD, "float it" and clip it ot the boat, then after you get on board, retrieve your BCD/tank. Of course this is easier to do with a weight inegrated BCD.

This is actually a pretty decent boat for flatwater and freshwater lakes. It's easy to tow and launch/retrieve. It's pretty simple by design, but a nice fishing boat w/o a lot of expense. The only thing I can say negative about it is that if the water is not flat, then the ride is rough as crap in light chop. But that's just the design of the hull being mostly flat. Light chop will beat you to death over a v-hull or semi-v fiberglass hull.

not much room for gear.... but I'm sure you already know that.

Hope all that helps.

-mike

Do yourself a favor and buy a 17 foot used Boston Whaler Montauk. Seaworthy, unsinkable, fishable, diveable, legendary. The classic styled sea sled version can be had reasonable, the newer deep V version called the 170 is larger and deeper and wider and more money. You can build a nice carpet covered removable casting platform. And, yes, I new that Tracker was what you were talking about. N

There are lot's of boats to be had for diving.

In terms of your aluminum, it could be done but it would not be easy. Your only chance is to mount a ladder on the transom. You would need to determine if the transom could support a mounted ladder to enable you to climb out with your full rig. If not, definitely tie up your rig, climb out, then pull the rig out. You would want to strategically place some weight at the bow to offset the force of climbing in.

--Matt

Back
Top Bottom