Anyone use Yamaha Jet drive outboards??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NadMat

DIMWIT Swamper ;)
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all, I'm looking at a Brig HD460 4.6 M inflatable rated for 50 HP and am considering the Yamaha F60 jetdrive outboard to power it. Looking for comments from those with experience with either. Was originally wanting nice 6-7M RIB, but budget constraints will put that several years down road, so am looking at a boat I can get in by end of summer.
this is about 10K or so as compared to 40+k for Rib I want. Will eventually have both, as 4.6 with shallow water jet drive will be able to operate in enviroments that 6-7 M RIB could not. And can carry it and my pop up camper at same time, with Rib it is one or the other.

Jet drives (especially on an outboard) loose up to 30 or more percent of efficiency over a propeller. That means more fuel, less speed, less acceleration, more wear and tear. Unless you have specific needs for a jet drive--don't. N

Yamaha motors are excellent and you will be pleased with them. I have had no experience with Yamaha jets but I have tons of experience with other brands such as Mercs and OMC that were used on inflatables. I have used jets from 20 horse up to 70 horsepower. I have used them on Zodiacs such as the Fastroller with speed tubes and the F470 SEAL boat as well as large and small Archilles boats. They are inefficient as Nemrod pointed out. My 70 jet was based on the HP at the jet, not on the engine. The powerhead was a 115 as I recall. Quite a considerable power drop. Something to consider is that the height of the intake to the water is critical. Most inflatables flex as they move and the water avaible to the intake can change, causing it to suck air or go too deep and make excessive spray, which slows down the boat. Adding dive gear to the boat also changes the trim. The only way to deal with this is to add a jackplate so you can dial in the proper height. On larger jets I would recommend power trim so you can instantly adjust to changing conditions. I used jets to patrol whitewater areas and the only motor I could use was a jet. They will take you anywhere you want to go and also to places you have no business being in.
If you are looking for a jet to run rapids, etc. be prepared to hit a lot of rocks.
Also be prepared to shell out $500 for a new intake boot when you hit one hard enough, which you will. If you have a power trim/tilt it won't kick the lower unit up when you hit something and normally you will get damage. Also if you are in an area with seagrass, litter, gravel or autumn leaves floating on the water be prepared to spend a lot of time cleaning out the intake. It can be a major pita. I love what a jet can do, but if I did not have to have a jet and there was anyway to use a prop, I would go with the prop. Cheaper, more efficient and faster and the transom height is not critical on a prop engine. I have shimmed up jet drives to locate the "sweet spot" and it was amazing what a difference a quarter inch of height made on the operation of the boat. Once you add a person or dive gear it changes the whole way the boat handle. It may not go up on plane unless you adjust it again. It also makes a difference on water conditions. Flat water is better for jets as waves can make it suck air. Aerated water in whitewater conditions also limits it's efficiency. If you can, try one before you buy to see if it will work for you. Think twice before buying a jet as they can pose a lot of complications for you when placed on an inflatable.

Thanks for the input james, nemrod. After looking at the power to weight and considering the intended use of the boat, I have decided to go with a 50 hp four stroke standard outboard rather than jet drive.

While the shallow water capablilities would be nice, they are not actually required, and the trade offs to get them not equitable. Thanks again for the input, Look for pics around late summer or next spring when I may get around to purchasing all ( also busy buying parts and pieces for 4Runner and pop up camper upgrades ).

Yamaha motors are excellent and you will be pleased with them. I have had no experience with Yamaha jets but I have tons of experience with other brands such as Mercs and OMC that were used on inflatables. I have used jets from 20 horse up to 70 horsepower. I have used them on Zodiacs such as the Fastroller with speed tubes and the F470 SEAL boat as well as large and small Archilles boats. They are inefficient as Nemrod pointed out. My 70 jet was based on the HP at the jet, not on the engine. The powerhead was a 115 as I recall. Quite a considerable power drop. Something to consider is that the height of the intake to the water is critical. Most inflatables flex as they move and the water avaible to the intake can change, causing it to suck air or go too deep and make excessive spray, which slows down the boat. Adding dive gear to the boat also changes the trim. The only way to deal with this is to add a jackplate so you can dial in the proper height. On larger jets I would recommend power trim so you can instantly adjust to changing conditions. I used jets to patrol whitewater areas and the only motor I could use was a jet. They will take you anywhere you want to go and also to places you have no business being in.
If you are looking for a jet to run rapids, etc. be prepared to hit a lot of rocks.
Also be prepared to shell out $500 for a new intake boot when you hit one hard enough, which you will. If you have a power trim/tilt it won't kick the lower unit up when you hit something and normally you will get damage. Also if you are in an area with seagrass, litter, gravel or autumn leaves floating on the water be prepared to spend a lot of time cleaning out the intake. It can be a major pita. I love what a jet can do, but if I did not have to have a jet and there was anyway to use a prop, I would go with the prop. Cheaper, more efficient and faster and the transom height is not critical on a prop engine. I have shimmed up jet drives to locate the "sweet spot" and it was amazing what a difference a quarter inch of height made on the operation of the boat. Once you add a person or dive gear it changes the whole way the boat handle. It may not go up on plane unless you adjust it again. It also makes a difference on water conditions. Flat water is better for jets as waves can make it suck air. Aerated water in whitewater conditions also limits it's efficiency. If you can, try one before you buy to see if it will work for you. Think twice before buying a jet as they can pose a lot of complications for you when placed on an inflatable.

Folks I am new in this fora Iam an norwegian, live in thailand during the winter seson,

and I found the over post of very interst,,
I live in the lake district 50 km north of the capitol of norway Oslo,
theris rivers and lakes, but it seems to be very costly as thereis shallow water many places,
I use now a 30 HP yahamaha four stroke on my Buster m , made of aluminium from Fiskars finland. the boat is running perfekt with this engine, but i hate to buy more props and underwater houses,

noow exuse my english wich not are my native language, but i try..
i wonder aboyt where to find the instalation dwg for such motors

and I wish to know more , so if you have time just pump my with links and information

note that Yahamaha and Honda not sell such motors in europa or asia, I wonder if its made in canada or Usa

but the thing is where can I buy engines from USA or Canada, where I can trust the vendor
do I need to travel over the atlantic to procure a engine,

is there things I must know
there is so little so far I have found .i AM ALSO UNCERTAIN ABOUT SUCH WATER JETS IF THAY ARE SUITABLE FOR LOW SPEED AS TRAWLING FISING,
i WOULD BE VERY GLAD IF YOU ORE SOMEONE COULD GIVE NY A UPDATE

HAVE A NICE EVENING OVER THERE

SINCERLY
riflefish@gmail.com :blinking:

Years ago, I drove a pax cat with twin 40 Yamaha jets on it to shuttle Japanese tourists in Hawaii for a while. You sure do lose a lot of efficiency with the jet, but from a safety standpoint, they were great. The bottom jet part adds a chunk of weight down there that makes carrying them awkward - you'll need two people.
If you're running shallow, you can always tip up the prop-equipped outboard. Baby that nice 50 4-stroke and don't let any boneheads drive your boat. I guess a 50 4-stroke is a two person carry now also. You getting a Yamaha or looking at other makes?

Folks I am new in this fora Iam an norwegian, live in thailand during the winter seson,

noow exuse my english wich not are my native language, but i try..
i wonder aboyt where to find the instalation dwg for such motors

and I wish to know more , so if you have time just pump my with links and information

note that Yahamaha and Honda not sell such motors in europa or asia, I wonder if its made in canada or Usa

but the thing is where can I buy engines from USA or Canada, where I can trust the vendor
do I need to travel over the atlantic to procure a engine,

is there things I must know
there is so little so far I have found .i AM ALSO UNCERTAIN ABOUT SUCH WATER JETS IF THAY ARE SUITABLE FOR LOW SPEED AS TRAWLING FISING,
i WOULD BE VERY GLAD IF YOU ORE SOMEONE COULD GIVE NY A UPDATE

HAVE A NICE EVENING OVER THERE

SINCERLY
riflefish@gmail.com :blinking:

If I understand your question right, you're wondering how to buy these motors?
I live in Belize and Yamaha sells different outboards here than it does in the US. This may be due to emissions laws (pollution from exhaust) but you can order any motor brand or type from a dealer in the US and they'll ship it to you. Norway may have it's own specs for emissions also which may not comply, so you have to check there. You may have import duties on models not sold in NOrway also.
So, what I did was just go online and see what models are available where. It's different from country to country (Columbia vs Mexico etc etc) in this part of the world. I ended up getting a motor from Mexico...(carburated 2 stroke gas hog).
If you're buying a new motor from the USA, the dealer it comes from shouldn't matter. New is new.

Although Yamaha 2-strokes are the most common engine here in San Pedro I think they're rubbish. I've had several and all have two design faults - (1) the lug on each piston that stops the piston rings from revolving and jamming in the side ports is a pin that's pressed into a hole rather than being an integral part of the piston (as is common on better brands). I haven't had one of these engines that hasn't finally succombed to the pin coming loose, the ring jamming, and the engine self-destructing; (2) the castings, though beautifully finished, are actually made of low grade materials. I was astonished when I saw cross sections of a propeller and an engine block at the extent of embedded cracks that were there from the manufacturing process.

In England I have used Yamaha motorcycles that have suffered from comparable faults. Other makes, notably Kawasaki (also Japanese) and BMW (German) are vastly better in the quality of materials used.

I don't know what the best outboards are, but after much research I'll buy Evinrude Etech when the time comes.

Back
Top Bottom