Aluminum boat as a dive boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rogue_Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Went to the boat show today and looked at a 23 foot Baja Bayrunner. I had not considered aluminum as a dive boat before, but the price and durability are attractive. I am looking for a durable boat for the So Cal waters and had been focusing on inflatables or RIBs, but the aluminum looks to fit the bill as well. It will be used for local wrecks and trips to the Channel Islands. I am looking for feedback from anyone who has an aluminum boat or has dived from one.

Some bad..They're way too light, in time the rubber seals (there are many) will dry or get loose and start to leak and you can't fix it in most cases. There are hard to get in from with one diver and harder to get on.

You are out, it gets windy and you have to head into the wind to head home..it will take no time to loose your gear and have your alum. boat upside down and on your head with motor still running.
I don't like inflatables where there is coral or rocks but I'll take that before an alum. any day!

Sorry but the only good may be the price.

These, not so good:

lonestarb63012.jpg

These, I like:

23_v_commandercc.jpg

21_ft_commander_cc.jpg

N

I am looking for a durable boat for the So Cal waters and had been focusing on inflatables or RIBs, but the aluminum looks to fit the bill as well. It will be used for local wrecks and trips to the Channel Islands. I am looking for feedback from anyone who has an aluminum boat or has dived from one.

Welded Aluminum boats are very popular with the offshore fishermen and divers on the west coast. The heavy-duty offshore models are built like tanks, and make great dive boats. The North River Seahawk Offshore that dsc2679 provided a link to (my boat actually), uses the exact same hull you'll find on many of the Coast Guard and Police boats that are built by Almar (same company). It is wide, stable, self-bailing and super-easy to clean and care for.

There are several other West Coast manufacturers that make similar boats.

Head up to Alaska and you'll find a lot of aluminum boats. They hold up very well under very harsh and rough conditions. If you have specific questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

Went to the boat show today and looked at a 23 foot Baja Bayrunner. I had not considered aluminum as a dive boat before, but the price and durability are attractive. I am looking for a durable boat for the So Cal waters and had been focusing on inflatables or RIBs, but the aluminum looks to fit the bill as well. It will be used for local wrecks and trips to the Channel Islands. I am looking for feedback from anyone who has an aluminum boat or has dived from one.
Howdy,am in texas as you can tell. I also have a 16 ft. alumi-boat with a 70 hp. Mercury outboard. Just having a little trouble hooking up the hydraluics. other than that runs good and have been out on the gulf of mexico with it. As far as diving off of it,great plus more room for whatever in it. Mostly do the lakes and some rivers around here.

I am also interested in an aluminum boat. Are there any extra precautions/suggestions concerning galvanic corrosion?

I am also interested in an aluminum boat. Are there any extra precautions/suggestions concerning galvanic corrosion?

You do have to be careful about galvanic corrosion when using an aluminum boat in Salt Water. Keep your zinc anodes in good shape, try to isolate any SS screws/bolts/through-hulls that you use), NEVER use the boat for a ground path and be careful if mooring the boat for a long time on a HOT dock (especially if you are using a bronze plug).

If you follow those simple steps, welded aluminum boats last for decades.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom