Scuba tank holder for my boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Life-Is-Good-Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, im trying to find somewhere on the internet where i saw like a white fiberglass seat that sat 2 people on it, and had the scuba tank holders in the rear.

We been doing ( A-LOT ) of diving of my boat recentley, and im finding with 4 people on a 21' center counsoul that when im carrying all 4 people + gear, and 16 tanks, it get's alittle crowded :wink: Also a concern as we will be diving off the boat also with doubles, so a double bench seat with built in rack holder to hold tanks would be nice.

Any suggestions?

I currentley have the plastic 6 tank holder to hold 6 tanks, but my main concern is a seat for the divers while there gearing up, as of right now, once we gear up, we have to lay the gear all set up on the floor.

I saw the roll control system, but that wouldn't solve the seating for gearing up.

Any suggestions?

And no i can't talk the wife into buying a bigger boat :wink:

I have made tank holders out of 7.5" ID PVC pipe. The pipe is Sch. 80 and is 1/2" thick. It works great when you cut the pipe into a "C" shape. The tanks, 8" dia., snap into place. I think you could cut the pipe into two equal half circles about 24" long and secure them to a platform. Do the same for a top plate and secure a seat to it. A diver can sit securly over two tanks that are secured to the tank holder and are laying down flat. You can move the tank platform anywhere you want, or use it to transport tanks to the shop for fills.

2Dive4fun:
I have made tank holders out of 7.5" ID PVC pipe. The pipe is Sch. 80 and is 1/2" thick. It works great when you cut the pipe into a "C" shape. The tanks, 8" dia., snap into place. I think you could cut the pipe into two equal half circles about 24" long and secure them to a platform. Do the same for a top plate and secure a seat to it. A diver can sit securly over two tanks that are secured to the tank holder and are laying down flat. You can move the tank platform anywhere you want, or use it to transport tanks to the shop for fills.

you have any pictures ?

PM me with your E-Mail or FAX and I can send a larger picture. This is a design drawing and is not to scale. I have not build the project. I have the parts and will build it this winter.

Just as a personal preference, I absolutely hate PVC pipe tank holders. Short tanks get buried in them, tanks with boots lose the boots, 8" tanks can be a problem - I just plain never liked them.
I also never liked the Roll-Controls that much. I do like a bench with a lip holding the bottom of the tanks in place with the tank shoulders butted against a crossbar and bungied in place. This way, you can load singles, twins, 80's bigass fat steels - anything. If you build the benches into your boat, you can make them dropleaf-styled for for room or else you can glass in threaded flush mounted deck plates if you want to take them out for more room.
Takes a little planning and execution, but you really get a cool dive system.
But no matter how you do it, 16 tanks in a 21' boat is gonna be a little cozy.

Tom Winters:
Just as a personal preference, I absolutely hate PVC pipe tank holders. Short tanks get buried in them, tanks with boots lose the boots, 8" tanks can be a problem - I just plain never liked them.
I also never liked the Roll-Controls that much. I do like a bench with a lip holding the bottom of the tanks in place with the tank shoulders butted against a crossbar and bungied in place. This way, you can load singles, twins, 80's bigass fat steels - anything. If you build the benches into your boat, you can make them dropleaf-styled for for room or else you can glass in threaded flush mounted deck plates if you want to take them out for more room.
Takes a little planning and execution, but you really get a cool dive system.
But no matter how you do it, 16 tanks in a 21' boat is gonna be a little cozy.

Thanks Tom, i dont like the roll control system either, im actualley looking into putting 2 bench seats opposite each other in the front of the boat., so that it could accomdate any size tanks, with bungee's, problem i have , is that last trip to the key's i had 16 tanks, on the boat, all sizes from alum 80's to steel 130's.

In 2 more weeks i am heading down back to the key's with 4 buddies in which we will only be diving with doubles, so the bench seat as you said would have to accomodate not only single tank diving, but doubles as well, im reasearching it still and have found several manafactour's that make what im looking for, and cost in under 1k for the 2 seats , well worth it,,,,,,,,,,,,
Anything for me no matter how crowded it is on my boat is better then diving off those crowded dive boats, with 16 people of all skill's jumping into the water knocking you in the head all day with their fin's :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom