Sevylor Diveyak XK2020

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well now, I have not owned that particular boat but I have had a long term fascination with inflatibles and currently own two for real inflatibles and a OK Scupper Pro TW kayak and a Boston Whaler--whewww! I have in fact owned a Sevylor kayak. It was some kinda plastic reinforced plastic fabric unlike my DuPont Hypalon on nylon/polyester and neoprene REAL inflatibles. Yep, I think Sevylor is a toy unless something has changed. I was not successful at all with that boat. This was circa 1988. As I said, I currently own a Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro TW and highly recommend you get either a OK or Cobra brand hard shell sit -on- top Kayak. Depending on your size and needs look at the OK, Scrambler XT, Scupper Pro TW, Drifter, Prowler and Prowler 13. In the Cobra brand look at the Tourer and the Fish and Dive (if you are a big guy). Unless you have some need to roll up the boat you will find the hardshell boats more durable and they are light --about 50-60 lbs and easy to carry and store. When it comes to performance--paddling--my Scupper will leave that inflatible toy in it's wake.
To not allow any misconceptions, not all inflatibles are toys, my two inflatible boats I currently own can use up to 50 horse engines, they are fast and seaworthy and super durable and are just about the top for divers. Able to launch straight from shore using a retractable landing gear they are amazing carring up to 4 divers and a skipper or more--these are not TOYS. The boat I saw in your post I think is a nice pool toy. I could be wrong. N

If ya wanna drive up to Sacramento you can probably pick one up a lot cheaper, not to mention saving $40 - $50 on shipping.
There are a LOT of yak joints in this neck of the woods, what with the American River being such a popular spot.
I'd also recommend a rigid yak if your situation will allow it, they handle the abuse a whole lot better.
As Nemrod mentioned, they're made out of a "plasticated fabric", not just a pool toy, but your bucks would be better spent on a hard shell sit on top.
BTW... if you need a place to store it, I've got room. :wink:

I was given as a child a small inflatible canoe/kayak/floatie with a clear window in it. I visited my grandma and she took me to Crystal Springs and got me a flipper and mask set and I paddled around in that thing looking through that window and could see fish and divers etc. I think that is what started my fascination with inflatible boats. I am not anti inflatible. I am just worried that the Sevylor in the website is not going to be easy to paddle due to its width and the height of the sponsons. I do like the idea of a window and the way the aft end is open--why I like that idea I am not really sure. Also they don't really seem to describe the material very well and are you going to use a motor on it?
When shopping for an inflatible kayak or inflatible boat there are several materials to look for. Hypolon with neoprene rubber fittings etc on a poly fabric is best. When my inflatible boats are at operating pressure, only a few psi, it is as hard and resielient as would be kicking an automobile tire or close to it. There are some other mateials that do well also but I have no direct experience with them. Plastic boats with melted seams are probably not one of them. You want a glued or sewn -- seam with overlapping fabric or doublers with neoprene rubber reinforcements. Such a boat can last a lifetime.
Speaking of which, our plastic kayaks are made of roto molded poly. plastic. This is a good material for durability and for the purpose intended but it can crack if flexed excessively. It also will degrade in UV radiation. The quality yaks have a stabilizer and a UV protectant added to the plastic that increases their lifespan considerably but do not leave your plastic yak out in the sun when not being used, store it inside.
In the 60s there were surfboard like vessals with a window in them and a storage area. The diver layed on them and paddled with the arms and hands. I think that kayak diving is a modern evolution of that concept. N

Nemrod:
I was given as a child a small inflatible canoe/kayak/floatie with a clear window in it. I visited my grandma and she took me to Crystal Springs and got me a flipper and mask set and I paddled around in that thing looking through that window and could see fish and divers etc. I think that is what started my fascination with inflatible boats. I am not anti inflatible. I am just worried that the Sevylor in the website is not going to be easy to paddle due to its width and the height of the sponsons. I do like the idea of a window and the way the aft end is open--why I like that idea I am not really sure. Also they don't really seem to describe the material very well and are you going to use a motor on it?
When shopping for an inflatible kayak or inflatible boat there are several materials to look for. Hypolon with neoprene rubber fittings etc on a poly fabric is best. When my inflatible boats are at operating pressure, only a few psi, it is as hard and resielient as would be kicking an automobile tire or close to it. There are some other mateials that do well also but I have no direct experience with them. Plastic boats with melted seams are probably not one of them. You want a glued or sewn -- seam with overlapping fabric or doublers with neoprene rubber reinforcements. Such a boat can last a lifetime.
Speaking of which, our plastic kayaks are made of roto molded poly. plastic. This is a good material for durability and for the purpose intended but it can crack if flexed excessively. It also will degrade in UV radiation. The quality yaks have a stabilizer and a UV protectant added to the plastic that increases their lifespan considerably but do not leave your plastic yak out in the sun when not being used, store it inside.
In the 60s there were surfboard like vessals with a window in them and a storage area. The diver layed on them and paddled with the arms and hands. I think that kayak diving is a modern evolution of that concept. N

Nemrod,

Thanks so much for the info.

My top choice is the hard shell OK Scupper PRO TW with Rudder option. But I also like the inflatable as they can be more portable. The Sevylor XK2020 has the option to attach a small 3.5hp 2 stroke motor to it that's why I am considering it. I don't think the Sevylor 2020 is good for paddling though as the sides are quite high compare to the rest of the sit on top kayaks.

Another inflatable Sevylor diveyak is the ST 5696. Do you have any experience using it? It only comes with dark blue color though. Hard to see and find between swell and wave compare to the yellow color.

No, I don't have any experience with that boat either. I could be all wet and they may be great but lacking some recommendations from elsewhere--for a dive kayak the Cobra and Ok boats are going to be hard to beat and the Scupper is a very nice boat. Not as stable as the Scrambler or perhaps the Prowler 13 but it's speed and ability to cover lot's of distance is hard to beat in this class of boat.
I do know that as soon as you involve fooling around with an engine you may as well go ahead and get a larger inflatable with a larger engine that can carry several divers--at least that is what I think anyways.
People in this country as a rule have no respect for inflatables of any sort. The facts are that my 14 foot inflatable will withstand seas and conditions that would sink conventional boats 4 times it's size and it may capsize but it will not sink.
Good luck. N

Last time I was at Pt Lobos I spoke with a team trying the Sevlor 2 diver diveyaks out They liked it, it won't win a race, but was significantly better than the long surface swim out of the cove. Since then I have been seriously considering the Sevlor but it will be primarily for Lobos diving to get me out of the cove to Granite Point or to Bluefish, or to Mmetridian Ffield from Breakwater.

My current thinking is that for most of the typical shore diving in and around Monterey and Carmel (exluding North Monestery -- which I wouldn't touch with a kayak) the Sevlor's are very cost effective alternatives to a long surface swim.

If you were diving in Maui, or Florida where 1-2 mile paddles are common to dive sites, then the OK or Cobra's would be perfect (have you noticed that all the OKs on Ebay are being sold from FL) but the reality in NorCal is that if you paddle a mile off shore you are in 3000 feet of water.

So, if you are planning on this primarily/ exclusively for a beach diving platform from Monterey / Carmel sites, where the typical paddle out is 100-200 yds, these should be fine....

That said, I haven't bought yet. I am still trying to decide between this
2 man dive yak

or 2 of these (my dive buddy is my son, so everything is in twos)

Sea Doo DPV

either will accomplish my goal, but in very different ways.

Good luck, and tell us what you decide.
Rob

rjens:
Last time I was at Pt Lobos I spoke with a team trying the Sevlor 2 diver diveyaks out They liked it, it won't win a race, but was significantly better than the long surface swim out of the cove. Since then I have been seriously considering the Sevlor but it will be primarily for Lobos diving to get me out of the cove to Granite Point or to Bluefish, or to Mmetridian Ffield from Breakwater.

My current thinking is that for most of the typical shore diving in and around Monterey and Carmel (exluding North Monestery -- which I wouldn't touch with a kayak) the Sevlor's are very cost effective alternatives to a long surface swim.

If you were diving in Maui, or Florida where 1-2 mile paddles are common to dive sites, then the OK or Cobra's would be perfect (have you noticed that all the OKs on Ebay are being sold from FL) but the reality in NorCal is that if you paddle a mile off shore you are in 3000 feet of water.

So, if you are planning on this primarily/ exclusively for a beach diving platform from Monterey / Carmel sites, where the typical paddle out is 100-200 yds, these should be fine....

That said, I haven't bought yet. I am still trying to decide between this
2 man dive yak

or 2 of these (my dive buddy is my son, so everything is in twos)

Sea Doo DPV

either will accomplish my goal, but in very different ways.

Good luck, and tell us what you decide.
Rob

Very good point on Monterey Diving. It is a short distance for us as compared to FL of Maui diving. I think a stable platform vs speed and distance is more suitable for Monterey as most of the dive sites are short distance away.

The soft shell Sevylor ST 5696 or the double person diveyak would be a stable platform. For hard shell I think the OK Scrambler XT.

Since I also enjoy tour kayaking in general besides using it for scuba diving, I decided to get an OK Scupper Pro TW. It is nerrower and not as stable as the Scrambler XT nor the Sevylor diveyak. But once I get used to it, I believe stability would not an issue. If I don't plan on longer kayaking trip and distance, I would seriously consider OK Scrambler XT or Sevylor ST 5696.

Not arguing, just want to know--what does this statement mean. Tell us about this area. What precludes kayaks etc? Just curious--no argument.

One thing, I dived Calf some but really only a few times and they were mostly beach dives. BUT--it seemed like there was always a place I wanted to get to that while not very far out from shore was still some distance from the only access point I could get to. Seems like a kayak would increase your range both along the shore as well as out from the shore. Yeah, that water gets deep there fast don't it and it is cold too. N

Oh sorry---the statement I was asking about----"(exluding North Monestery -- which I wouldn't touch with a kayak". Sorry, got confused. Good luck. N

Back
Top Bottom