diving from center console

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rubberduck

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
For those of you who dive from a 20' center console how do you like it? Is it roomy enough for 3 divers and gear? I'm trying to decide between a 20' center console or 20' cuddy cabin. It seems the cuddy's have more deck space out back to exit and enter your gear.

Do you plan on diving in inclement weather ? If so buy the cuddy ...otherwise the CC has much more deck space all around. I have 20' cuddy with an OB ...deck space is limited. However I can stow all the gear in the cabin. My neighbor has a 20' CC Blackman I/O the perfect platform for diving IMHO

If the shelter of the cutty is not needed I would go with the center console especially in a 20 footer. A 23 or 24 foot cutty is not a bad way to go if it is only 3 divers. My present boat is a 22 center console with straight inboard under the console. 3 divers and 9 tanks or 4 divers and 8 tanks is not too bad on room. I like to keep it to 3 divers, 9 tanks and a boat watch.

I dive off a 17' (16' 7" to be precise) center console most every weekend (we're blown
out today). It handles three divers with two tanks or four divers with one tank, but it's
friendly with three or four. Usually it's just me and my GF, Adm. Linda.

Tanks are stored forward, and we do a back roll off the bow.

I did once take four divers: two with doubles and stages, one with rebreather and
stages, my two singles, two Gavin scooters (one a long body) and a pro video rig
the size of a Gavin. But we were only going about 1/4 mile from the ramp on a REALLY
flat day.

Details on my rig: http://www.garlic.com/~triblet/whaler/

We have only had our current steed, a Outrage 190 Boston Whaler for a few years. Our previous boats including inflatible sorts all had things we liked and disliked but this time we specifically went for a center console based on our years of wishing we had one. Grass is always greener on the other side--lol.

The center console is the thouroughbred, no nonsesne, stripped for action boat that is very popular these days and originaly popularized by Boston Whaler. But most all of these open skiff type boats share a common profile, open decks, deep vee or modified vee hulls, outboard powered. A 20 foot boat will compromise some things. I don't like more than three and really just me and my wife on ours and I don't like people dropping their gear on my expensive deck!!!!! Two divers plus four tanks is easy with two crew, three divers and six tanks is possible with one crew. Four would really be a crowd for a long run but for a quick single tank dunk it would be OK.

For warm weather playing then the center console rules, if your going out in the cold that cuddy might be useful but on a small boat it will be cramped and little used.

DSCF0078.jpg

We see our little boat as a play toy. I am quite confident it could carry me 23 miles offshore to dive the Oriskany or run much further but mostly it is for quick dashes out to dive and fish and run around in.

Quote from BW:

"Also in 1961, Fisher and his team shocked the industry with another innovation - the center console design. This design moved the helm from the starboard side to the center of the craft, providing better steering control and an even keel. The center console boat was more versatile and roomier than its predecessors. It has since blossomed into an $85 million industry."

N

I had a 21 CC CUDDY not cutty in Hawaii and it would dive 4 with 2 tanks each no problem. 4 with 3 tanks each would still be good. Not all boats are alike just becouse thay are the same "size".

I would only go with a cuddy if overnighting is important to you. Also, how often will you really do the overnight routine.

I think you'd be better off for space with the CC especially on a 20'.

If the porta potti is a concern, maybe a 20' walkaround.

Tank storage is the biggest issue on both types of 20 footers.

Here is a link to a thread I started on a different board that has pictures of a tank storage system I built. 4 divers can do 2 tanks each relatively easy. We go in buddy teams, so only two people are gearing up at a time.

http://www.ncdivers.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2570

From purely a space consideration, the center console will be better. If you only plan to trailer your boat and dive on nice days, go with the center console.

In terms of comfort, I would never buy a boat without a top for Massachusetts use. We have many wet and/or cold days up here, and you definitely need a cuddy with a top.

I regularly take 3 divers with doubles on my 19' cuddy cabin. 4 is possible but not particularly comfortable.

--Matt

Wildcard:
Not all boats are alike just becouse thay are the same "size".

Agreed.

This is our club's 19ft aluminium cuddy, carries 4 divers + 8 cylinders + gear quite happily.

ClubboatJPG.jpg

The cuddy cab is just an covered area to store gear, no beds, portapottis etc. (Portapotti? Who needs one - Just hang it over the side!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom