scuba tank holder for boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Life-Is-Good-Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Im hoping somone can help here. I just bought a 21' center consoul , and looking for the fiberglass, or not sure , it's some kind of hard plastic tank holder, holds i think 6 tanks, i see people traveling down the highway with then in the back of there pick-up trucks, holding a bunch of tanks standing up. i don't like the roll control system, and i found it at a local dive shop, but it's the cheaper version, cheap plastic. I know they make a heavy duty one, that can hold a bunch of tanks standing up for a boat, anyone know of a website that sells this item? thanks.,any help would be appreciated !!

FLTEKDIVER:
Im hoping somone can help here. I just bought a 21' center consoul , and looking for the fiberglass, or not sure , it's some kind of hard plastic tank holder, holds i think 6 tanks, i see people traveling down the highway with then in the back of there pick-up trucks, holding a bunch of tanks standing up. i don't like the roll control system, and i found it at a local dive shop, but it's the cheaper version, cheap plastic. I know they make a heavy duty one, that can hold a bunch of tanks standing up for a boat, anyone know of a website that sells this item? thanks.,any help would be appreciated !!
This is a pretty nifty setup from Divers Direct. It looks like you have to get all the separate parts for it to work properly though.

Here's a link to the manufacturer's website for Roll Control:
http://www.ecpdb.com/rollcontrol.htm
You can get it via most any scuba shop (because Trident,
the SCUBA widgets folks, carry it). Or you can order it
direct from the manufacturer.

I have it on my Boston Whaler and it's great. The
Plastic clips have about 600 dives on them. I used the
Aluminum channel. Pix at http://www.garlic.com/~triblet/whaler/

What you may have seen in the back of a pickup is a
Pelican basket. They are OK for tanks without BCs or boots,
but otherwise suck.

FLTEKDIVER

I recently purchased a six tank pelican rack from leisure pro. I mounted the rack on a 3/4 inch piece of plywood which I coated with two coats of West system epoxy. The Rack sits in my boat forward of the center console. It holds six tanks with boots easily and I can also carry 4 tanks with the BC's setup on them. I like the fact that if I'm not diving I can take the rack out of the boat and use it for tank storage at home. Also like the fact that I can carry the load in the center of the boat rather than at the gunnels as would be required for Roll Controls.

Tommed

You don't have to mount Roll Control on the gunwales.
I have it mounted on the front of the console and the
side of the seats.

Problems with Pelican baskets: Won't hold 8" tanks.
Boots hang up getting the tank in and out. Can't put a
tank with most two strap BCs on it all the way in the
basket. Really hard to get six tanks WITH BCs in
the basket because the BCs get in the way.

Not to get into a battle about this but on my boat I would lose access to the seat on the console if I mounted Roll Controls. Also I don't have any problem putting tanks with boots and BC's in my rack.

Maybe on your boat. On mine I have a seat both in front of and behind the console. Have a nice day, Chuck!

Tommed:
FLTEKDIVER

I recently purchased a six tank pelican rack from leisure pro. I mounted the rack on a 3/4 inch piece of plywood which I coated with two coats of West system epoxy. The Rack sits in my boat forward of the center console. It holds six tanks with boots easily and I can also carry 4 tanks with the BC's setup on them. I like the fact that if I'm not diving I can take the rack out of the boat and use it for tank storage at home. Also like the fact that I can carry the load in the center of the boat rather than at the gunnels as would be required for Roll Controls.

Tommed

Thanks, thats what im looking for, i just bought one from a LDS , paid $189, im going to check leisure pro now, cause i need to, have to many tanks :wink: YOu have a item # from them, or a part # ? How much did you pay?

Chuck Tribolet:
Here's a link to the manufacturer's website for Roll Control:
http://www.ecpdb.com/rollcontrol.htm
You can get it via most any scuba shop (because Trident,
the SCUBA widgets folks, carry it). Or you can order it
direct from the manufacturer.

I have it on my Boston Whaler and it's great. The
Plastic clips have about 600 dives on them. I used the
Aluminum channel. Pix at http://www.garlic.com/~triblet/whaler/

What you may have seen in the back of a pickup is a
Pelican basket. They are OK for tanks without BCs or boots,
but otherwise suck.

Hey Chuck thanks for the link to your boat, im looking at ALL of your set up right now, nice set up,. im reading your web page right now, thanks!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom