bonaire or roatan in september?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cba191

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
i am new to diving and want to go to the caribbean. i think i've narrowed it down to roatan and bonaire. advantages or disadvantages for either? i'll be going to hawaii in august, so i'll have a few dives under my belt. if it matters, i'll probably be going solo.
thanks,
ben

For what it's worth, I have just gone through a similar decision process myself. For October (my trip), Bonaire seems the better choice. The diving is pretty much the same year round, and it is outside the hurricane belt. From what I understand, Feb-June is the best time to dive in Roatan, and I have decided to wait on going there until the best time to go. Not to mention, if you plan to take any day trips to Utila for Whale Shark sightings, Feb-June is the best time for that.

Granted, my plan is for Bonaire in Oct, and Roatan in May of 2008, so I get the best of both... :wink:

bonaire has awesome shore diving and very good boat dives; there is not much to do for a non-diver, but it's a diver's paradise

roatan is designed for all-inclusive packages. you basically stay in a resort, eat there, and dive there. it's got even less to do for a non-diver than bonaire

frankly, i prefer bonaire. it has a much more "civilized" flavor, and yet the diving is awesome.

I've never been to Roatan but was to Bonaire in November. The shore diving is absolutely awesome and you can make your own schedule - go where you want when you want. When we were there it didn't look like there would be any problems finding dive buddies. Just tell them at the dive shop that you're looking for a buddy. I don't think you could go wrong with Bonaire.

My last three dive trips were Roatan/Roatan/Bonaire. Roatan offers two possibilities, either stay at an all-in (there are several, do a search) or you can stay at one of many samll 10-15 room/cabin places and then eat on your own. This is generally centered around West End and West Bay. Diving is good and there there are several fun restaurants in the "West" area and several good dive ops. It's all boat diving on the west side, some of the all-in's have beach diving on their house reef.

Bonaire IS shore diving. Anytime, anywhere 24/7. The license plate motto of Bonaire is "diving freedom", and they mean it. The reefs are in better shape in Bonaire (Marine park in place since the late 60's) and the quantity of fish and critters is greater.

Both places offer great diving and are a good value compared to most of the Caribbean. I'm headed back to Bonaire in two weeks if that tells you what my vote for "better" is! :D

September is a great time for Bonaire. It is the peak of the off season and you may find a few of the restaurants closed. But the lack of traffic will give you _very_ personal service at dive shops and stores. And it's always great to be alone on the reef. And being teh peak of the off season, the best deals of the year can be found then. Our last trip to Bonaire was in September and this September will find us there for another two weeks.

I will agree and disagree with the above posts, all at the same time!

Bonaire and Roatan are certainly in my Caribbean "Top 5". Sooner or later, you're going to want to do them both... repeatedly!

Bonaire and Roatan are both well outside of the path of hurricanes. True enough, nature has and may visit both islands with a huricane, but a simple glance at any historical chart of huricane paths- you will see that neither island is much of a target. September? I could think of better times to go to the Caribbean, but you have selected two of the more 'huricane proof' locations!

Roatan, being recently in hi-speed development, it had started with a strong established 20+ year base of AI resorts that cater to US Diver requirements and mentality. As the island has exploded in the last ten years, more operations have sprung up that are set-up for the European crowd. Entirely different programs for people with different demands and needs.

Bonaire has been around a long time. It was slowly nursed into its status as a dive mecca by American divers. The place thinks, operates and moves to our tempo. True enough, lately Europeans have visited in droves (Note the KLM 747 sharing the runway with the goats!), but the die has been set on Bonaire. You can have all the diving you want, if not from your resort, then via shore diving.

Just as a general point of information, if you visit a place that carters to Europeans, you will have to struggle to get what you might think is a requirement. 3 dives a day can be problematic (much less 5 a day)at such locations. Notably Red Sea, Maldives, Mediterranian and various other pockets located around the world that welcome divers who speak German, French, Italian, Spanish and moree! It isn't bad- it's just what it is. You have to understand.

Bonaire is a delightful place, any number of pleasant comodious resorts with an accent on your automotive mobility and access to numerous shore dive sites. The diving is good for beginners as the walls are vertical and there's lots that is easy to see. Every property there is a dive resort. There are 20 restaurants that I have been to and waddled away smiling.

Roatan? You would have to be nuts to drive a car, besides- there is simply no need or use for one. 99.9% of all diving is done by boat. There are three restaurants, arguably 5 at most, that are worth bothering with. The diving is somewhat similar, but really biased towards the diver with super buoyancy and observational skills. There are some resorts with diving, there are a few real dive resorts. Many divers do not like it because a) they have been to a bad operation or b) they do not have the patience or skills to observe the small creatures for which Roatan is truly known.

Decide what kind of experience that you are looking for and then book accordingly. You will hear miriad opinions about various resorts on Roatan, but largely driven by single visit or narrow view observations.

In Bonaire, you get a room to sleep in, you can always drive to dive. Pretty much so can't go wrong. No resort in Bonaire has a shore dive worth much, better for night diving.

In Roatan, depending on what you need and expect, selection of the accomodation (be it an All Inclusive Resort or backpacker paradise), the selection of the accomodation and its access to dive-op is key to the process.

In Roatan: What quantity of diving do you desire? Are you happy with backrolls off of a small boat or were you looking for handicapped access? Do you want 5 a day with an included night dive each night- or would you rather buy ala carte at $30 per tank. Lots of choices for everyone... just not a lot of mobility.

Your "solo" requirement does mean one clear thing- the cost of your rental car in Bonaire, a true necessity there, it will be split... one way.

You are going to do both places sooner than later.

I'll make this short & sweet. Been to both places. Fantasy Island in Roatan & many many places on Bonaire. I will add that I've only been to Roatan once (in Feb) & I decided never to return.
Been to Bonaire many many times over the last 20 years . In my book, and there is absolutely no comparison AT ALL all between the two locations.

Bonaire IS shore diving. Anytime, anywhere 24/7. The license plate motto of Bonaire is "diving freedom", and they mean it. The reefs are in better shape in Bonaire (Marine park in place since the late 60's) and the quantity of fish and critters is greater.

I don't mean to be picky, but the licenses I saw said, "Divers Paradise" on them. INfact, I bought an old one!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom