What is up with the weather in Bonaire lately?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mrwa

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm going to be arriving in Bonaire on May 3rd for a 10 day trip. I have been watching the weather and it looks like there has been a lot of unsettled cloudy weather there lately.

In fact, there is a 30% chance of rain nearly every day between today and our arrival. I'm just wondering if Bonaire is experiencing unusual weather for this time of year. The historical records for rainfall totals indicate that April and May are normally quite low.

We have had a near record breaking snowfall season this year in Spokane, and a record breaking cold spring (if you can call it that). I really need some sunlight and SCUBA therapy.

Hey mwra..........I guess we'll see you there. RJP thanks for the update. We've been kind of concerned as well.

All that 30% chance of rain means is that 30% of the forecast area will likely see rain. Depends on how big the forecast area is. I would not sweat a 30% rain forecast at all. Who cares anyway if it rains for a few minutes during your vacation. You will likely be wet anyway. We were in Bonaire in December and it did rain one morning, but was over by the time we had the truck loaded for our AM dives. Have a great time.

Oh and if you are a glass half full kind of person like me. There is a 70% chance that you won't see the rain. I like those odds.

I was in Bonaire all last week. National and Local Weather Forecast, Radar, Map and Report said the same thing for the weather while I was there and I can tell you that there was not a single drop of rain on us the whole time we were there.

That is encouraging to hear. I appreciate the feedback. I'm hoping for the best!

Oh and if you are a glass half full kind of person like me. There is a 70% chance that you won't see the rain. I like those odds.

Unfortunatley, I have glass is half empty tendencies. That is probably why I'm focusing on the weather forecast. But I can see the wisdom in viewing from your point of view. The last few Caribbean vacations I've taken have had unseasonable rains. I'm starting to wonder if it is just me or maybe erratic weather patterns related to global warming.

We went a years ago an noticed the same thing in observing the forecasts before the trip. What we see as persistent cloudiness in the forecast & satellite shots is burned right through and if anything takes the edge off the sun from time to time. At least that was our experience.

Pete

I notice that in tropic and semi-tropic climes, it usually does rain a lot, almost everyday sometimes, but only for a bit. Morning/evening showers perhaps? As to the weather being strange, am I the only one to notice that the weather has been unusual all around the world for the last couple of years? Global warming maybe? Nah...that's a myth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom