Best time of year (wind/waves/current) for Bonaire trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divematt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I went to Bonaire last year for a week from March 4 to 10 and had a great time and did 22 dives including the east side (wildside). I especially enjoyed some of the more southern sites the best and was told that during another time of year the wind and waves would be more calm. I don't remember which time of year the dive operator said that the conditions are generally better. Can anyone tell me which months would be better for lighter wind and waves? I want to do Red Slave dive site again without as much current and waves and not have to worry about being swept off to Venezuela. It was pretty tough getting back to shore in March.

Also, during this "other" time of year, is it also somewhat flatter on the east side enough to do a shore dive with a dive guide rather than taking a trip out with Larry's Wildside operator? Larry was fine, the boat was fine, the trip was great, but I didn't care at all for Eddie the dive guide with the drill sergeant military attitude. I understand that during some times of the year, you can hire an experienced dive guide who knows the east side and can lead you on a great shore dive?

Thanks

Hi Divematt,

It has been ages that I went to Bonaire; but I live on Curacao now, that is not far away and I suppose they have similar weather patterns on Bonaire.

Here, we are experiencing a very calm period (wind and waves) for several weeks now; the summer seems to me to be the period you are looking for. Yesterday, I went diving on the "wild side" of Curacao, and it was not that rough there, after all.

I dove the east coast of Bonaire in November 1999, but I have to say that it was not that spectacular to me - I prefer the west coast.

If you ever feel like visiting Curacao, just let me know.

Regards
Andreas

Hi Matt!

Ok, let me help you. Actually, the best times for less winds is mid August - through mid November. It can also be VERY HOT because of the lack of tradewinds. The diving, IMHO is spectacular though. My favorite dives are Tori's Reef, Red Slaves and Vista Blue, all south!

You can arrange an 'east coast" dive with Bart at Wannadive. He does guided dives from the shore. He takes a group of no more than 4 persons for safety reasons. I have heard nothing but praises.

Let me know if I can answer any other questions, or help you out with anything else.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom