Compass needed for diving Bonaire safely

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

handben

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was diving last month at Alice in Wonderland with my daughter as well as my brother who buddied up with his wife. I'd already made a dozen or so dives that week without any navigational difficulties and without using my compass. So I just left it back in the room. I figured navigation would be pretty straight forward. I'd just swim straight out to the first reef, perpendicular to the shore, then continue on in a straight line out to the second reef. Once on the second reef, I figured I could swim either way, but then to return, I'd be going perpendicular to the second reef and back east, I'd get back with no problem.

I was wrong. First, the visibility was considerably worse on this dive for some reason, than most of the earlier dives. We made it out to the edge of the first reef without any difficulty. As I was descending down the slope of the reef, I decided to not go all the way to the sand as it was pretty deep (over 100 feet by my estimation, though I could be wrong). I wanted to save air and bottom time, so I swam across around 50 feet deep. Anyhow the distance from the first reef to the second reef was well past our visibility that day. I don't know the real distance, but seems in retrospect to have been a good 100 yards. It's funny how strongly you can believe in your own minds "internal" compass. Mine had worked just fine up till this point. I set across in what seemed to be a straight line. I was so sure of myself that I pointed the way and kept going how I thought was straight, even though my brother who had a compass pointed the other way. I followed my internal sense of direction, till I finally made it to the second reef. (My brother told me that I'd been veering to the left the whole way across).

Once on the second reef, I was a little disoriented as I came at it at a funny angle (Didn't hit it straight on like I thought I should have). So rather than enjoy the dive, I began question where I was and which way was back. My biggest fear was that I'd swim West rather than East when it was time to go back. It's funny how once that sense of doubt enters in, it's hard to be rational. So I decided the only safe way back was to surface, get my bearings, then head back toward the truck. So I did just that. After surfacing and getting my directions back in order, I set course back East. I decided that it was too deep to go back to the bottom, so I'd have to swim back in the mid water column. I chose to go around 20 feet. I didn't want to surface swim with the wind pushing against me the whole way and it is nice to get below the surge. Anyhow, it was too shallow to see the bottom well; and I am sure my minds straight line was actually very zig zag without any reference points to keep on track. We did eventually reach the first reef and then the sandy shallow which was a big relief. At this point my daughter and I were both just wanting to get out of the water as we'd swam nearly the entire time not near the surface or the bottom and with poor views of either.

I realized how well "Alice in Wonderland" was named as we both felt very small compared to the vast blue surrounding us in the mid water column. I learned an important lesson on this dive and that is not to trust the brain to navigate correctly without good landmarks to guide oneself. For the remainder of the trip I used my compass and took bearings to the buoys (or whichever way out from beach I had decided on) and took reciprocal courses to find my way back. This works much better then dead reckoning with the brain. I hope others reading this will also bring and use their compasses while diving Bonaire.

Glad you made it back safely. A great dive requires getting back to dry land.

I, too, realized that I was disoriented over the second reef at Alice just over a week ago. Fortunately I had my compass and had actually bothered to shoot a bearing as we left the shore. Too easy to get mentally lost in the Wonderland.

Handben..Glad things worked out for you. I've been diving Bonaire's reefs for over 25 years, but never without a compass. As you found out, it is extremely easy to become disoriented underwater.

I have found my "internal compass" is "off" more often than not; many times just simply wrong and should never be relied on. Chalk this up as a lesson learned and another class in the greatest teacher of all; experience. I find there is always something new to learn, and yes I've certainly made my share of dumb mistakes underwater.

In the navigation class I teach it is stressed over an over to trust your compass. Of course you need to have it with you to do so. One of the most difficult nav skills is the midwater with no visual reference of the bottom. In this case your compass and depth guage or bottom timer become your references. I state depth guage or BT because mudwater navigation and that "internal compass" on your head can start to introduce doubt and result in you not following the actual compass you are using. It;s why I spend so much time in the classroom portion of the course on it. You also need to start thinking of EVERY dive as an exercise in navigation skills. I do. On every dive practice the compass so it becomes second nature to take a heading, note direction, and check that direction throughout the dive. I look at UW Nav as a core skill that is not stressed enough. It's why I wrote the course I teach and hopefully will be adopted by my agency in the near future. Right now any instructor for SEI who wishes to teach it can, by contacting me or SEI HQ for the materials.

Unfortunately (OR VISE-VERSA) my compass is always right and my "interenal compass" is really just a brain fart!

Glad you made it back safe. I've been on that second reef and the viz can be very bad compared to the first.

Good lesson to always dive with all your gear, even when you think you will not need it.

How was the rest of the trip?

Glad you made it back safely. I think it was the ancient Greeks that first highlighted the role that hubris has in the downfall of man. A compass is basic equipment, orienting at the start of the dive is basic protocol. Deciding to forego the simple things is the first step down what can rapidly become a slippery slope - in Bonaire or anywhere else. Remember the basics, don't get complacent and enforce good protocols. Always. Diving will be more fun and you'll be safer.

Thanks for the Tread, Ben. Helpful to all who read, even if they don't reply. I will remember as we be in Bonaire on Saturday and AinW is high on our list to revisit.

Joe

Back
Top Bottom